Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

LDD MOC: Midi Venator-class Republic Attack Cruiser

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello again!

I present you my Venator-class Star Destroyer in Midi-Scale. It has 697 pieces and is not in scale with 8099 - Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer. Critics and comments are welcome as always. Enjoy!

Reference:

Venator_clonewars.jpg

My model:

venator_star_destroyer.png

Side view:

venator_star_destroyer_1.png

With a little stand, like 8099.

Top view:

venator_star_destroyer_3.png

Underside:

venator_star_destroyer_5.png

There's a ship approaching (WIP). Can you guess what it is?

venator_star_destroyer_8.png

Brickshelf: My Gallery (when public)

Gunner

Wow lots of MOCs these days.

Not bad, although the back looks funny because it comes in way to much, and the hangar bay is relatively over sized. Will we see it in the bricks? :wink:

That's a pretty good rendition of the Venator in midi-scale LDD design Gunner! I think you got the basic elements and overall shape right relative to its scale. The only thing I'd suggest is to make the top of the tower bridges dark red, like in the reference image. Still, I like this one, very well done! :thumbup:

Gunner, this is truly fantastic! A great example of what can be done in the midi-scale. The use of the core from 8099 was an excellent choice (something several people stressed while dicussing Blackknight112’s rendition), and the fact that you’ve done all this in LDD is even more impressive!

I think my favorite part of this would have to be the bridge tower area, because you’ve captured that area really accurately, which of course looks quite nice. The inclusion of all eight turbolaser batteries is another nice detail, as well as the boosters which look great.

Moving on to areas that I think could be improved...

Like 8099, this model appears to have a noticeable gap in the front of the nose. I don’t know whether you could actually seal the gap while retaining the core, but at the very least you could put some bricks in there so it wouldn’t look so empty.

Judging from this picture, I think the hangar bay (and maybe just the whole ship in general) is a tad fat. Again, I think this could be due to the use of the 8099 core. It does appear that you’ve done some work in making the core thinner, but maybe just a bit more.

Speaking of the top view, it looks like you’ve got some angles to fix. It’s definitely too thin in that area, as well as too rectangular, which kills the overall shape. You can also see that the red stripe down the middle could be shortened slightly.

Like 8099 it looks like this has some random dark grey here and there. Now there does appear to be some dark spots on the Venator’s hull, but I think your placement of the spots could be better.

As for the approaching ship, that looks an awful lot like a Providence carrier...

KielDaMan, I think that the bridge is supposed to be gray. I don’t know where that CGI model came from, but it’s certainly not from the film.

KielDaMan, I think that the bridge is supposed to be gray. I don’t know where that CGI model came from, but it’s certainly not from the film.

I think the Venators in the CW series have these dark red bridges, like this one and this one, which are different from the grey ones from the movies.

Yes, the Venators from TCW do have red bridges, but those are only supposed to be the command ships or flagships. The rest are gray. The Resolute, Anakin's flagship had a red bridge for example. Some reference pics from the show: Venator at Christophsis Storm over Ryloth

There's more but those are decent.

I like this. It's accurate and seems like a set TLG would actually produce. Good work. :thumbup: Looks a bit short and fat, though.

Yes, the Venators from TCW do have red bridges, but those are only supposed to be the command ships or flagships. The rest are gray. The Resolute, Anakin's flagship had a red bridge for example. Some reference pics from the show: Venator at Christophsis Storm over Ryloth

There's more but those are decent.

Yeah you're right, the command ships do have dark red bridges and the normal ones have grey. I also noticed that the command ships have 5 red strips at each side while the regular ones only have three each, based on this image.

I like this. It's accurate and seems like a set TLG would actually produce.

I agree. I am no expert, and I think this looks very accurate at a careful glance. I love all the detailing, and this really is the sort of thing a Lego designer might come up with. Great MOC.

:thumbup:

I agree. I am no expert, and I think this looks very accurate at a careful glance.

You meant 'casual glance', right? Because what I did was basically a careful glance. And 'but' rather than 'and' for the conjunction - it's likely that accuracy wouldn't be noticeable to someone who's 'no expert' on the subject, especially for LEGO (why do you think people buy 6212?).

KielDaMan, that's very interesting. Was the red designation also true of the Venators in the '03 Clone Wars, or is this unique to the '08 series? (In other words, is it a retcon or not? :tongue: )

KielDaMan, that's very interesting. Was the red designation also true of the Venators in the '03 Clone Wars, or is this unique to the '08 series? (In other words, is it a retcon or not? :tongue: )

I know you didn't ask me, but I was curious and did some research. I looked for images of Venators from the '03 series and it looks as if all of them are gray bridged and have five stripes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong though. I have not seen the '03 series and found the pics through Wookieepedia)

Here's some pics: Impavid Below the ship Space Battle

Also, I think they're gray and 5-striped in ROTS as well...

Nice job, Gunner. I too think that the side docking bays are too tall and that section is too skinny (viewed from above), but the others have basically covered it all.

I look forward to seeing that WIP completed.

Very nice! I could never build something like this in LDD. My building style just wouldn't allow it. :grin: Can't believe I missed this.....

Hello!

A fantastic medium-sized Venator Attack Cruiser! Wonderfully detailed and cleverly using the techniques of the official medium Star Destroyer! :classic:

Congratulations on this perfectly turned out version! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thanks everyone, for the comments and critics, on which I will work. Yes, the ship is a tad fat, but I am working on it. I am improving the model (especially in the hangar bay e angles to fix), so I won't be sharing the LDD file yet. I will when my other WIP is finished, in the proper topic to be posted.

As for a brickbuilt version I say it's impossible for me. The prices of LEGO where I live are almost unaffordable. For example, when I bought my 7674 V-19 Torrent I paid R$318,00 something like US$ 191,40. Bricklink is out of my reach, for now.

Gunner