Sign in to follow this  
siseon

My T-47 Snowspeeder

I'd say anyone would be hard-pressed to create a T-47 that doesn't bear a resemblance OR 'borrow' ideas from these three builders. I would love to be proved wrong (soon, not just yet :laugh:) .

Yeah, I guess - wait - to think I almost forgot about this...

It's not to scale with minifigures, but you didn't say anything about that...

Thanks Brickdoctor. This will help me a great deal. :thumbup:

There are more here and here.

But still, apart from these four styles of T-47 MOC, what have the Romans ever done for us Fallenangel?

I wouldn't say marshal_banana's is radically different from Larry Lars', but it is four if you count drakmin's.

Could somebody please explain that quote? I don't get it...

Brickdoctor - does this mean I was right about the 2x4 wing plates? :grin:

Edited by fallenangel309

Brickdoctor - does this mean I was right about the 2x4 wing plates? :grin:

Nope. He used 3 x 3 wedge plates.

Nope. He used 3 x 3 wedge plates.

Whoops, never mind. Still, mikepsiaki's solution doesn't cut into the cockpit like Larry Lars' does...

I got that much, but how does that relate to what we're talking about?

Whoops, never mind. Still, mikepsiaki's solution doesn't cut into the cockpit like Larry Lars' does...

I got that much, but how does that relate to what we're talking about?

In that I claim there's only 'x' number of solutions and then another and another get brought to my attention (as you demonstrated with drakmin's).

It also has angles that won't fit with the slopes I've used.

Here are some WIP shots of my snowspeeder after taking into consideration some of the helpful comments I have received since it's unveiling several days ago. Please take note of the revised cockpit, repulsor units, rear gun platform area & power converters attached to the repulsor units. Overall, I cleaned up the greebling. I'm still playing around with it so let me know what you all think. :thumbup:

here are some shoddy pics this time around. No time to conduct a photoshoot :laugh:

5507225858_421736935c_z.jpg

5506629789_550abc4d52_z.jpg

5506630557_68cccc11e9_z.jpg

5506628377_4ccccee6f8_z.jpg

5506627835_e0ccd17acb_z.jpg

5507224278_500bc80bcb_z.jpg

Nice improvements, siseon.

Things I noticed still could use some love:

• Gun tips - I think that 1-brick wide works well here, the thickness is accurate, it's definitely a different part than the barrel, and you can get rid of that gap that's necessary to make it look different on your current model.
  • Canopy top - it needs a slope. That's one of the features that really defines the side view of a T-47.
  • Blocks on the wings - I know it's not what Larry Lars did, but I still think that it's more accurate with the steeper slope (the 2xn as opposed to the 3xn) on the outside. The inside angle should be parallel to the harpoon gun deck and the outside nearly perpendicular.

I can't wait to see this latest WIP finished! :sweet:

Nice improvements, siseon.

Things I noticed still could use some love:

• Gun tips - I think that 1-brick wide works well here, the thickness is accurate, it's definitely a different part than the barrel, and you can get rid of that gap that's necessary to make it look different on your current model.
  • Canopy top - it needs a slope. That's one of the features that really defines the side view of a T-47.
  • Blocks on the wings - I know it's not what Larry Lars did, but I still think that it's more accurate with the steeper slope (the 2xn as opposed to the 3xn) on the outside. The inside angle should be parallel to the harpoon gun deck and the outside nearly perpendicular.

I can't wait to see this latest WIP finished! :sweet:

Many Thanks BrickDoctor!

I haven't messed around with the gun tips yet. It is on my to-do list for the next round.

I won't deny it, but I'm having some difficulty with the canopy design. I think it is due to me having two different types of windscreens that offset the heights slightly. I think I will have to order a couple more windscreens before I can really tinker with a redesign. I'm trying to avoid adding a brick-high element on top the rear windscreen – I think it is just aesthetically wrong in my opinion to do so. I might just butcher the front windscreen on my other T-47 and sketch around with those parts. :sceptic:

You lost me on the last bulleted comments though – can you please elaborate? I' am still a bit of a newb when it comes to the LEGO lingo. :blush:

I won't deny it, but I'm having some difficulty with the canopy design. I think it is due to me having two different types of windscreens that offset the heights slightly. I think I will have to order a couple more windscreens before I can really tinker with a redesign. I'm trying to avoid adding a brick-high element on top the rear windscreen – I think it is just aesthetically wrong in my opinion to do so. I might just butcher the front windscreen on my other T-47 and sketch around with those parts. :sceptic:

You mean you don't want that middle section to be a plate higher? In that case I think you're pretty much stuck where you are.

You lost me on the last bulleted comments though – can you please elaborate? I' am still a bit of a newb when it comes to the LEGO lingo. :blush:

You've got 3-long slopes for the outer angle, and 2-long slopes for the inner ones. (that's a 45-degree slope brick on the inside and 33-degree slope brick on the outside) I'd swap them so that the 45-degree slope is on the outside.

You mean you don't want that middle section to be a plate higher? In that case I think you're pretty much stuck where you are.

You've got 3-long slopes for the outer angle, and 2-long slopes for the inner ones. (that's a 45-degree slope brick on the inside and 33-degree slope brick on the outside) I'd swap them so that the 45-degree slope is on the outside.

in regards to the canopy, yes.... I'm afraid I'm stuck where I am with this current design. Quite honestly, when I revisited the canopy design a couple days ago, I inadvertently ended up with something similar to your canopy without using yours as a reference. I scrapped it and sought after another solution and ended up with the current one you see. :grin:

I see what you are saying now about the sloped bricks – at first glance this looks to be a tough recommendation to try, but I'll give it a try and see where I end up.

in regards to the canopy, yes.... I'm afraid I'm stuck where I am with this current design. Quite honestly, when I revisited the canopy design a couple days ago, I inadvertently ended up with something similar to your canopy without using yours as a reference. I scrapped it and sought after another solution and ended up with the current one you see. :grin:

Feel free to use it without credit if you came up with it yourself - I've been in that position before. :classic: Yours in the end looks cleaner, but I don't know what fallenangel will think of the inaccurate angle...

I have to say that TLGs cockpit is not the way to go. It should continue with the same slope as the mid portion of the nose. Your best bet would be something like what Brickdoctor did IMO. :classic:

Feel free to use it without credit if you came up with it yourself - I've been in that position before. :classic: Yours in the end looks cleaner, but I don't know what fallenangel will think of the inaccurate angle...

Actually, I'd consider that area to be a step back. The solution with the tiles looked better than what you have now - the real issue was that the middle portion was too wide.

I'd go on, but no PM, so...

I have to say that TLGs cockpit is not the way to go. It should continue with the same slope as the mid portion of the nose. Your best bet would be something like what Brickdoctor did IMO. :classic:

I'd say siseon's solution is a lot closer to what Brickdoctor did than what LEGO did (which was use that terrible Y-wing canopy piece).

Very nice snowspeeder ! Although from what I've read I understand that parts of it are similar to another design , I must say it's the best lego version of the T-47 I 've ever seen . Please chesk out my new creation too ( mecha wip on lego star wars ) , I really want some comments

Here is another WIP update on my T-47's. :grin:

Talk about illegal connections – check out the new transition from the canopy to the wings in the Gray version on the right. I refrained from editing the Red T-47, so I can take side-by-side comparison shots. Please let me know what you all think.

My Thoughts:

I am not entirely thrilled I ended up with more studs on the wings... but I can be convinced otherwise with some opinions in this board. Yes, I know the 1x1 cylinder block is a bit honkey on that new angle I added – consider those two pieces as placeholders for now until I figure out what parts to use for a better transition.

I'm hoping to tackle the canopy next.

5515682590_3bab809629_z.jpg

5515682170_c25c917b82_z.jpg

5515682932_04ac4748ae_z.jpg

FallenAngel... I think you were trying to PM me on the last round but for some reason my PM's were not working – I think I fixed it. Shoot me over a PM if you wish to share your thoughts.

Thanks Everyone for all the helpful criticism :thumbup:

:wub: The new transition is lovely. You could use a cheese wedge where the 1 x 1 Round is, or a 1 x 1 Tile on top of some 1 x 1 plates bent to match the angle of the wing.

:wub: The new transition is lovely. You could use a cheese wedge where the 1 x 1 Round is, or a 1 x 1 Tile on top of some 1 x 1 plates bent to match the angle of the wing.

Thanks Brickdoctor.

I tried the idea of switching those sloped bricks as you had offered the last time around and it just never worked. I can see the logic in the idea but with the way my wings are built, I would not be able to add a wedge plate where that rotated 2x1 sloped brick would rest near the outside of the wing. :wacko:

Too bad. My idea was to move the center of the block over one stud, have the 2 x 1 slopes studs-up, and then use these SNOTed where the 2 x 1s currently are.

Too bad. My idea was to move the center of the block over one stud, have the 2 x 1 slopes studs-up, and then use these SNOTed where the 2 x 1s currently are.

drats... I don't have that part. :blush:

time to order... :laugh:

drats... I don't have that part. :blush:

time to order... :laugh:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to find. I have only two from the CW AAT. I used the 2-wide version for mine, though, that's much easier to find. This one was used for my forward blocks. Oh, and this piece and the 3x1 slopes you currently use are both 33-degree slopes, so it won't throw off the angles.

Wow, that new wing transition looks great.

Regarding the repulsor drive units, you could at least replace the outer 33 slope brick with a 45 slope brick and then use Larry Lars' solution. Of course, it would look even better if there were a slope without the 1x2 area (something Brickdoctor pulled off nicely in his T-47, I might add) but I guess that would only be possible with SNOT wings.

EDIT: It was rather stupid of me to say that. Sorry.

FallenAngel... I think you were trying to PM me on the last round but for some reason my PM's were not working – I think I fixed it. Shoot me over a PM if you wish to share your thoughts.

That's explained in the last line of my signature. You did request, so... expect a PM from me soon. :devil:

On the other hand, is that an X-wing I see in the background? :oh: Pictures, pictures...

Edited by fallenangel309

Regarding the repulsor drive units, you could at least replace the outer 33 slope brick with a 45 slope brick and then use Larry Lars' solution. Of course, it would look even better if there were a slope without the 1x2 area (something Brickdoctor pulled off nicely in his T-47, I might add) but I guess that would only be possible with SNOT wings.

Yeah, you'd need SNOT wings or a wing that was fatter. The only way to do it the way I did is to SNOT both slopes, but then whichever one is on the outside has to integrate with the wing.

Yeah, you'd need SNOT wings or a wing that was fatter. The only way to do it the way I did is to SNOT both slopes, but then whichever one is on the outside has to integrate with the wing.

He could integrate it with his plates to maintain a certain level of originality. The bit sticking out on the underside wouldn't look half bad either.