Michael S

Bill and Mary Go to the Airport!

This is so cool, every small detail, every minifig and the entire layout and sheer size of the thing is just, too impressive. Every time I watch a phot I see new things that I haven't seen before. The interior looks also great, with a real classic feeling to it. You're a great inspiration to all builders!

Everyone else has said it - but it's true, this is incredible :wub: .

Great story, great photos, great architecture, great everything.

It's so intricate, the way the roads and monorail sweep in and under and around, and there are great details with all the different shops (well great details with everything, but - shops!).

It'd be ace if there were more "Bill and Mary" stories, too!

This is indeed truly amazing. :wub: You've put so much effort into all the little details, and the story was a joy to read. :thumbup:

I was touched to see the return of Bill and Mary (though I never knew those were their names :blush: ) - you inspired me to dig out my treasured 6000 ideas book again.... ah, the nostalgia! That was the best of the 80s. :cry_happy:

6000-1.jpg

Great airport M.S. :thumbup: This is absolutely awesome! I love how the monorail runs through the terminal. Great job on all the details on the inside too!! :classic:

*oh2*

*picks jaw off ground*

That is amazing, I'm gobsmacked, there's so much awesomeness in this moc. I really like how you haven't got any of the new chunky planes in there, they're far too big IMO. I love the monorail and train track, I love all the detail and effort put into this, I've seen alot of cool MOCs but this has to be the best :cry_happy:

If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did this cost? I'm guessing there was quite a few bricklink orders. I'm just wondering to give me an idea and to see if I have enough money to attempt anything like this.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did this cost? I'm guessing there was quite a few bricklink orders. I'm just wondering to give me an idea and to see if I have enough money to attempt anything like this.

Heh, I have absolutely no idea how much it cost. If the actual part count is indeed 20,000, and parts are worth on average $.10 each (typical of modern sets), then if you knew exactly the part list to buy ahead of time, it might be $2,000.

But then what I actually spent -- There's just no telling. So many sets got parted out. At least $1000 worth of things like Police Stations, Home Ones, and Hoth sets... Sell off the figs, keep the parts. Then buy what I couldn't get in sets, online. Also doesn't help that the first year of this project, I was still working on the last of the I Heart U tower, so there was tons of crossover.

And then I also sold off a lot of Classic Castle from my youth to pay for some of the orders. What a tear-jerking experience that is selling off your precious childhood sets! All in the name of modernization I guess...

I went to look for some photos of the original skyscraper I tore down to start this... and I can't find any! Just an MLCAD image... this was a MOC of the new San Jose City Hall that I never got quite right enough to want to complete it.

cityhall2.jpg

Outstanding airport! The size of it is very impressive as is how detailed it is. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

This is really nice. Is this airport based on any real world airport?

Loosely, yes! Both San Jose Intl and Orange County Intl have a similar layout, a circle-ish drive with departures on the right, arrivals on the left, and overpass across the road to go from one to the other. I've spent a lot of time at these two airports, so every business trip provided new ideas. :)

This is not only a terriffic moc, but also a very funny story about bureaucratism. :thumbup::classic:

Everything about this is really great, from the airport, the minifigs you've populated it with and the narrative!

Big thumbs up :thumbup:

Amazing work on this!

Seeing the overhead shots of the entire airport its hard to believe how you have managed to include all those fabulous interior details.

The large investment of elements truly paid off!

And as mentioned previously, the storyline really takes it to another level!

great job

Mike... wow. Just wow. The build & layout is stunning and extremely realistic, but what I enjoyed the most was the story. Absolutely brilliant :]

Now then - what airline do you fly for? :wink:

P.S.: See it on Classic-Town.net

I know you've read this a million times already but...WOW!! I am extremely impressed and you've inspired me to build one as well! You have some really great architectural details that I would love to incorporate into my own MOC. I, having never been to either airport that you based some of your design from, think it is really cool to see such detail! I can't wait to see what you build next! I also love Bill & Mary's story, it was very entertaining!

Signed,

extremely jealous

Goodness, how did I miss this before now?! I need to check out the Town forum more often. Regarding this MOC...

SpockWin.jpg

:wub::wub::wub:

And furthermore,

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I know repeated emoticons are generally frowned upon in the EB community, but I believe this occasion warrants an exception. There can hardly be too many :wub: s to adequately express my response to this.

Beautifully done, Michael S, and welcome to Eurobricks. Please stick around.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I really loath 'textspeak' (or txtspk), but all I can say right now, rather too loudly, and in the manner of an over-excited schoolgirl, is 'OMG!!!!!!!!!'

Any model layout or diorama wins or loses for me not necessarily on the technical accomplishments of the model itself, but on the sense in which the viewer can 'invest' in a sense of 'being there'- too many well crafted models seem to lack the sense of 'life'- they seem quite sterile.

This MOC is full of human interest despite being centred on an airport and hotel (actually not the cosiest of possible things to model), yet, with clever model-making which invites you to take a 'virtual stroll' around the facilities, and a humorous and all-too-realistic storyboard, you have really excelled. You seem to have an artist's sense of being able to make a relatively compact model seem much larger than it actually is, without using false perspective.

Truly inspirational.

I love how you captured the busy and bustling nature of the airport.

The mix the crazy occupants is great too and a wonderful parody of a real airport.

I feel like my post is just mimicking every other post in this thread but......WOW! :cry_happy:

You have given me the inspiration to modernize my own LEGO Airport (Currently Century Skyway).

Keep up the good work...I would LOVE to see what you would do with a Rail Station (or TERMINAL!)

Thanks and BRICK ON!

Really nice with lots of details and so many of those blue panels, 600 you say? Gosh, but they are put to such good effect.