ZueriHB

Floor-Layout at ZueriHB's

I moved, so everything new is after post 56.

A Fair warning before you continue.

This is a basic floor layout, no track side buildings, details, roads, cities whatsoever. Just plain track.

You may have seen some pictures over at the Your layout, table or floor?-thread.

Also a

back from January 2011.

I have one / two newer Videos, but some accidents happened during filming, and I'll need some volunteers to get a good video going.

More Videos in my channel.

I'll add new material as it uploads.

Or just point your browser over here and look for yourself ^^

Let's start at the train depot, it also has a little station with an elevated walkway, that currently ends in JarJar's demise.

2011-02-21%2013.18.51.jpg2011-02-21%2013.26.10.jpg

Two coupled 7938 EMU (stock length) and a DPZ are currently parked inside the depot.

2011-02-21%2013.44.38.jpg2011-02-21%2013.43.50.jpg

Next to the building, two more 7938 of the 5-car variety are parked alongside.

2011-02-21%2013.43.22.jpg

Later in the day, all trains are somewhere, but in the Depot, and working, two 7938 series cross at the main station (I need good names for my stations, seriously) Looks like rush hour, even trusty 4558 is hauling passengers today.

2011-02-21%2013.27.10.jpg2011-02-21%2013.26.57.jpg

2011-02-21%2013.26.42.jpg2011-02-21%2013.17.51.jpg

A 4556-b just drove trough, commonly called 'the wasp' or 'CargoRailway'.

2011-02-21%2013.23.03.jpg2011-02-21%2013.23.39.jpg

If we follow the wasps projected drive path, we'll land at anther station, right after the main entrance and the wardrobe. One Platform is just long enough for a small 3-car 7938 EMU.

2011-02-21%2013.24.04.jpg2011-02-21%2013.24.33.jpg

After that, theres not much to see anymore, it just loops around. But oh! Ah 7939 loco pulls a little cargo.

2011-02-21%2013.25.03.jpg

So let's pull all the way back and get a look where the wasp came from. A loading terminal for 4559 series trains.

2011-02-21%2013.20.51.jpg2011-02-21%2013.21.34.jpg

Just arriving there is a S-series DPZ

2011-02-21%2013.21.04.jpg

It just passed a nostalgic 10194 'Emerald Night' hauling a 3-Car extra train.

2011-02-21%2013.20.14.jpg2011-02-21%2013.22.02.jpg

That's it for now. Here a small overview, more pictures at the album link at the top.

2011-02-21%2013.29.30.jpg2011-02-21%2013.29.56.jpg

Update 1:

And some more pictures with less details and more view:

2011-02-21%2013.27.27.jpg2011-02-21%2015.08.35.jpg2011-02-21%2016.33.39.jpg

2011-02-21%2016.37.41.jpg2011-02-21%2016.35.01.jpg

Update 2:

I finally made a passable cargo terminal, nothing fancy.

Right next to the train depot, it had to fit where space was avaiable:

2011-04-05%2008.53.13.jpg2011-04-05%2008.51.10.jpg

Find a 4.5v switch, highly usable for such situations:

2011-04-05%2008.51.01.jpg

And of course, some new cargo trains to go with it:

A second 7939 series makes it look good:

2011-04-05%2008.49.38.jpg2011-04-10%2009.50.46.jpg

of course, that's nothing compared to a 10219 pulling some blue containers (of course with ZueriHB'sche modification's for cargo railway pods):

2011-04-10%2009.51.23.jpg2011-04-10%2009.44.25.jpg

End of Post

Edited by ZueriHB

I like the way it looks like you can go downstairs on your main station!!! ofcourse i like the extra cars of the 7938..looks really good!! And you have got a proper amount of straight track... :wink: Nice work !!!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Fair warning..? I was not at all prepared for this beauty you have created. Wow. Talk about mouth watering. Thanks for sharing. Hardwood floors seem to be the way to go. My fledgling system is all on carpet as we do not have much room in the house. Need a bigger house it seems.

You said you need names for your stations? Hmmm... How about the first station (the one with the shed) be called Thunder Junction, the Main station be called Watson Depot, and your smaller station, (the one that fits three car trains) could be named Cliford Pass, and your Cargo Depot would be named North Garrett Yard. How about those names? You can switch them around, use them, (or don't) I do not mind. Please tell me what you think of these names!

That is a heck of a rail system *huh* Love the additions to your trains. Are they all PF (except the Metroliner)? How long do you think the 2 track loops around the rooms? They look like they go on for a good while! Great job on this! Wish I had this kind of space :classic:

Too bad for JJ Binks! He had it comin' :laugh:

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

Grüetzi wohl!

Wow! Now that is some serious right of way there! You might want to start naming the routes and sections as well. I loved the nice gentle mainline with the corner hugging mountain line to right for comparison. (now it needs some mountainous terrain and river in the valley floor then it will be 100% true Swiss :wink: )

As far as size it reminds me of HoMa's smooth curves layout that he posted several months back.

As far as names for the stations, well my Swiss (Schwyzerdüütsch) is not exactly the best (okay I have to admit when I hear a friend of mine speak it I am for the most part lost - "Sprichst du Deutsch??" *huh* ), but I figure some nice Swiss names or Swiss sounding would be good. "z.B.: Basel, Zürich, Biel,usw. - *Das was Sie am meisten gefällt." (*English: That what pleases you the most)

*Am sonst können Sie der schwarz-gelbe Zug den BVB Express nennen! :laugh:

*English: (At least you could name the black and yellow train train the BVB Express!) Confused? Google "BVB Dortmund".

Edited by 3D LEGO

I like the way it looks like you can go downstairs on your main station!!! ofcourse i like the extra cars of the 7938..looks really good!! And you have got a proper amount of straight track... :wink: Nice work !!!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Thanks, lots of straight track is helpfull. But alas is space.

I love the fact that you have three passenger cars for your Emerald. Sweet! :wub:

Thank you, if you need any spare engines, let me know ^^

Fair warning..? I was not at all prepared for this beauty you have created. Wow. Talk about mouth watering. Thanks for sharing. Hardwood floors seem to be the way to go. My fledgling system is all on carpet as we do not have much room in the house. Need a bigger house it seems.

Not that big a house, but a weekend allowance to use the entire floor may help you already. Hardwood has it's pro and cons. The track doesn't stay put, hat to tape it down in intervals, else it skips around.

You said you need names for your stations? Hmmm... How about the first station (the one with the shed) be called Thunder Junction, the Main station be called Watson Depot, and your smaller station, (the one that fits three car trains) could be named Cliford Pass, and your Cargo Depot would be named North Garrett Yard. How about those names? You can switch them around, use them, (or don't) I do not mind. Please tell me what you think of these names!

Thanks for your suggestion, but as 3D LEGO said later, I'm in Switzerland, so more swiss sounding names would be more proper.

That is a heck of a rail system *huh* Love the additions to your trains. Are they all PF (except the Metroliner)? How long do you think the 2 track loops around the rooms? They look like they go on for a good while! Great job on this! Wish I had this kind of space :classic:

Too bad for JJ Binks! He had it comin' :laugh:

This is absolutely cool! :thumbup:

I like very much the switch points all together and the large curves ...but the real question is "how long is the track?" it seems endless *oh2*

I stopped one entire run of the single loop (yes, single), it's about 4 minutes at speed setting 3 nonstop, about 5:30 with stops and regulated speed. I'll try to get a plan made of the entire track.

Grüetzi wohl!

Wow! Now that is some serious right of way there! You might want to start naming the routes and sections as well. I loved the nice gentle mainline with the corner hugging mountain line to right for comparison. (now it needs some mountainous terrain and river in the valley floor then it will be 100% true Swiss :wink: )

As far as size it reminds me of HoMa's smooth curves layout that he posted several months back.

As far as names for the stations, well my Swiss (Schwyzerdüütsch) is not exactly the best (okay I have to admit when I hear a friend of mine speak it I am for the most part lost - "Sprichst du Deutsch??" *huh* ), but I figure some nice Swiss names or Swiss sounding would be good. "z.B.: Basel, Zürich, Biel,usw. - *Das was Sie am meisten gefällt." (*English: That what pleases you the most)

*Am sonst können Sie der schwarz-gelbe Zug den BVB Express nennen! :laugh:

*English: (At least you could name the black and yellow train train the BVB Express!) Confused? Google "BVB Dortmund".

Na, won't go with Basel, Biel, Bern, more with something like Hünenberg Zythuus and Hünenberg Chämleten ect. More fitting. Even got a '30min' tact going with three EMUs. And no BVB Express, and also no Baselland Verkehrsbetriebe neither.

For all interessted, just uploaded my two failures in video taking: Part 1 Part 2 and an overview for Eurobricks members

And some more pictures with less details and more view:

2011-02-21%2013.27.27.jpg2011-02-21%2015.08.35.jpg2011-02-21%2016.33.39.jpg

2011-02-21%2016.37.41.jpg2011-02-21%2016.35.01.jpg

I stopped one entire run of the single loop (yes, single), it's about 4 minutes at speed setting 3 nonstop, about 5:30 with stops and regulated speed. I'll try to get a plan made of the entire track.

Wow, that is one long ride for a minifig. Can't wait to see the plan. Great new pics :classic:

Amazing setup, Zueri! I love it! I wish I had that much track, and some time and space to work to go along with.

Are you planning a freight yard anytime soon?

Hi ZueriHB's, i just ordered my third 7938 passengertrain! Ordered it for only Eur 91,90 incl post and package. From this set i will make 2 passengercars and the PF stuff wil later be placed in the new Maersktrain, yet to come!! Now i have a relatively cheap PF set and 2 extra cars for the 7938 train. I will now have 2 x 7938 trains with Front and End car and three wagons/cars between them!!! Makes the train longer, and that looks nicer.. like your Emerald Night... three cars looks really good!! Did you buy 3 sets and sell 2 engines of the EN or did you order the parts for the wagons???

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Na, won't go with Basel, Biel, Bern, more with something like Hünenberg Zythuus and Hünenberg Chämleten ect. More fitting. Even got a '30min' tact going with three EMUs. And no BVB Express, and also no Baselland Verkehrsbetriebe neither.

Schade... :grin:

Ich bin kein BVB Fan so habe ich nur darüber gedacht als ich den Wespezug gesehen hatte. :wink: Zum Glück ist der Zug nicht im schwarz-weiß lackiert sonst hätte man es den St Pauli Express genannt aber so was brauchen wir lieber nicht...

Translation: I am not a BVB fan, I just thought of it when I saw the wasp train. Thankfully the train is not painted in black and white otherwise you would have to call it the St Pauli Express. But we don't need something like that. for those confused again google: "FC St Pauli"

But back to naming...

But then again depending on which area of Switzerland you live in it could be Swiss german, Swiss Italian or even Swiss French. Take your pick. But then again a *insert name her*-berg or -burg always comes out good. Just remember that the latter needs some fortifications to live up to its name. Oh I know maybe some names like those found in Schlesien or Ostpreußen: Breslau, Königsberg, Stettin, Görlitz, Hirschberg, Frankenstein, Kreuzberg usw. but just make then a little more Swiss sounding and you have your names.

Oh and thanks for posting the videos. You make me jealous! My KÖF III and accompanying flat freight wagon with UNIMOG and trailer load seam so minuscule in comparison. (even though they are built to a larger scale)

shira_city.jpg

I promised, I shall deliver. A simplified schematic. Click for larger version.

All sections are longer and any sidings or passing loops are long enough for 4-6 car trains.

Wow, that is one long ride for a minifig. Can't wait to see the plan. Great new pics :classic:

My plan won't help you in that regard, I may try to whip something up on paper, or better, make a POV-video

(..)Are you planning a freight yard anytime soon?

Maybe after I got the new 2011 trains, I'll consider it.

Hi ZueriHB's, i just ordered my third 7938 passengertrain! Ordered it for only Eur 91,90 incl post and package. From this set i will make 2 passengercars and the PF stuff wil later be placed in the new Maersktrain, yet to come!! Now i have a relatively cheap PF set and 2 extra cars for the 7938 train. I will now have 2 x 7938 trains with Front and End car and three wagons/cars between them!!! Makes the train longer, and that looks nicer.. like your Emerald Night... three cars looks really good!! Did you buy 3 sets and sell 2 engines of the EN or did you order the parts for the wagons???

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Got my passenger trains for CHF 149.- each, still have lot's of left-over parts, also from train stations and emerald nights.

(..)

But then again depending on which area of Switzerland you live in it could be Swiss german, Swiss Italian or even Swiss French. Take your pick. But then again a *insert name her*-berg or -burg always comes out good. Just remember that the latter needs some fortifications to live up to its name. Oh I know maybe some names like those found in Schlesien or Ostpreußen: Breslau, Königsberg, Stettin, Görlitz, Hirschberg, Frankenstein, Kreuzberg usw. but just make then a little more Swiss sounding and you have your names.

Swiss German, Most of my work is done in Luzern, Zug and Zürich, so I'll borrow naming conventions from there. Most preferred by me would be Names from the Stadtbahn Zug like Hünenberg Chämleten, Cham Alpenblick, Baar Lindenpark, Zug Postplatz ect. But my GF's is more of a Zürich Hinterland fan, as her line of work calls for S16 services and prefers Herliberg-Feldmeilen, Neuhausen, Effretikon or Andelfingen.

Oh and thanks for posting the videos. You make me jealous! My KÖF III and accompanying flat freight wagon with UNIMOG and trailer load seam so minuscule in comparison. (even though they are built to a larger scale)

Scale is not everything, but everything at the same scale, that will look better (except your using forced perspective, kinda hard in a expansive layout).

Edited by ZueriHB

Nice layout, ZueriHB! I really like the size of it :-)

What would your PF controllers look like when you attach them to eachother? How many trains do you run at any given time?

Nice layout, ZueriHB! I really like the size of it :-)

What would your PF controllers look like when you attach them to eachother? How many trains do you run at any given time?

Thanks, I run up to 4 trains, if alone, for more trains, I need more players.

EDIT:

, not POV, but following a Train around my layout. Edited by ZueriHB

How did you build the extra cars (each set only comes with on middle car/bogie)?

I sat down with instruction book 3 that came with the set and tried to inventory all the pcs I would need. Is that how you went about it?

BTW, when I started out on my layout my wife mentioned, after seeing your layout, that she expected ours to be that way - running along the walls of the living room and TV room - some track on carpet and the rest on tiled floor. Of course, our track is not anywhere near your set up in length or complexity.

How did you build the extra cars (each set only comes with on middle car/bogie)?

I sat down with instruction book 3 that came with the set and tried to inventory all the pcs I would need. Is that how you went about it?

BTW, when I started out on my layout my wife mentioned, after seeing your layout, that she expected ours to be that way - running along the walls of the living room and TV room - some track on carpet and the rest on tiled floor. Of course, our track is not anywhere near your set up in length or complexity.

I ordered additional sets and built one motorized car and two middle cars out of it. Quite handy for some aditional motors and platform elements.

Lucky guy having a loving wife also loving Lego trains. ^^

Some new pictures, I have no excuse for the bad picture quality, except for those with a 3D picture viewer may take a look at this ZIP-Archive. (3DS owner may apply too)

HNI_0029.JPGHNI_0028.JPGHNI_0027.JPGHNI_0026.JPGHNI_0025.JPGHNI_0024.JPGHNI_0023.JPGHNI_0022.JPGHNI_0021.JPG

Really neat layout, cool enough to get me to go to the effort of signing in and making a post, something I've not done in a while. :)

The video you shared was particularly interesting. Straight curves look fantastic. Myself and some others were considering a straight curve layout for Canberra Brick Expo 2011 - seeing this has just convinced me that it's a good idea.

Only thing I'm still unsure about with your setup is the train's ability to navigate corners, it seems to slow almost to a stop. Is there any particular reason for this? Could you put some more motors in the train?

Anyway, great work, and thanks heaps for sharing with us!

P.S. A big hello again to TheBrickster and everyone else behind Train Tech, it has been a while.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

(..)

Only thing I'm still unsure about with your setup is the train's ability to navigate corners, it seems to slow almost to a stop. Is there any particular reason for this? Could you put some more motors in the train?

(..)

Good question. As I drive my trains with relative low speed settings (seldom exceeding speed setting 4) and because of additional motors and / or lights at the other end of the train, I have cables trough the train and this adds additional friction and may slow 'em down more.

An other reason would be to many different curves on switch tracks. Those slow trains down, especially if there are more than two switches set to curved.

(Now how to translate this German bit: "Die Züge werden stark verlangsamt wenn sie über mehrere Weichen in Ablenkung traversieren").

(Now how to translate this German bit: "Die Züge werden stark verlangsamt wenn sie über mehrere Weichen in Ablenkung traversieren").

Normally the trains must slowly traverse multiple sets of points...

Normally the trains must slowly traverse multiple sets of points...

Only over the curved part, there's no slowdown over the straights.

The trains are greatly slowed when they travel over the curved part of multiple points.

I think this is a more literal translation and conveys the meaning better.

Update! Update! Update!

I finally made a passable cargo terminal, nothing fancy.

Right next to the train depot, it had to fit where space was avaiable:

2011-04-05%2008.53.13.jpg2011-04-05%2008.51.10.jpg

Find a 4.5v switch, highly usable for such situations:

2011-04-05%2008.51.01.jpg

And of course, some new cargo trains to go with it:

A second 7939 series makes it look good:

2011-04-05%2008.49.38.jpg2011-04-10%2009.50.46.jpg

of course, that's nothing compared to a 10219 pulling some blue containers (of course with ZueriHB'sche modification's for cargo railway pods):

2011-04-10%2009.51.23.jpg2011-04-10%2009.44.25.jpg