This is my first MOC after the dark ages. I made the drawings with LDD

Plan was to make appropriate trailer for 8258 crane truck. I didn't want to make dramatic changes to the original set. But it was obvious that I neeted to modify the fifth wheel for better connectivity of the trailer. Measurements were a bit unclear, but when I got the sets 8042 excavator and 8275 buldozer it was all clear what size the trailer should be. After all, the trailer will be used to transport these machines.

I decided that the MOC should adapt to the original set by style, building engineerin and coloration. I didn't want to make any model team-styled creation because i think that it won't match with the original set. I wanted it to be like add-on set for the truck. Also there should be some functions, like example steering and ramps. Model had to be suitably reduced, functional and also some mechanics should be showing.

Model has been built only on digital stage, but I have been ordering parts that I could make it for real. Unfortunately LDD doesn't allow to test mechanics so I had to improvise and make smaller assemblies to test that mechanisms will work. Everything should work, but only the time will tell what will be the problem areas.

MOC it self is about 115 studs long (920mm?) and 21 studs wide. Total amount of parts is 1340 at the moment. It has automatic steering in all three axles, front outriggers can be lowered from knob, another knob lowers the twofoldin tiltin ramps. Also there is manually adjustable wide load corner lights. And in front there is room for two pallets from the telehandler set 8295. Which now carry chains for tieding down the load.

LDDScreenShot8.png

LDDScreenShot9.png

In the middle is white tile with orange yellow stripes, there will be licence plate of my own sticker so that is only temporarily.

LDDScreenShot15.png

Here is one picture with minifig giving some perspective of the model. Designed scale is about 1:20

-Mtx

Wow -- this is big! :thumbup: It must have taken a lot of time to make it digitally. Do you plan on making it with real Lego parts?

Would you mind posting the LDD .lxf file, using the "Deeplink" procedures described here?

Wow -- this is big! :thumbup: It must have taken a lot of time to make it digitally. Do you plan on making it with real Lego parts?

Would you mind posting the LDD .lxf file, using the "Deeplink" procedures described here?

Well, the brainwork before the designing proces has took couple of months, design it self took the evenings during two or three weeks.

Yes I will make it with Lego parts also. But being a collector doesn't help my project at all, because I don't want to disasembly any of my sets so I have to buy all the parts to my MOC's...

I have to get familiar to those procedures, but I think that can be arranged.

I think this is a great idea,it looks very nice and would be perfect for the 8043' I also have 8258 and would love this behind it! Will u be making up building instructions for this by ant chance?

Nice and big. Is the goose neck detachable?

Tie down chains are typically stored in boxes or hung on a rack in the back of the truck. It's kind of strange seeing them on pallets.

Very cool. I had the idea for a logging trailer for this truck but never bought this set haha. I dothink your trailer is a much better idea as you can trans prt other technic vehiles. :thumbup:

I think this is a great idea,it looks very nice and would be perfect for the 8043' I also have 8258 and would love this behind it! Will u be making up building instructions for this by ant chance?

Those instructions are bit difficult because I noticed that LDD doesn't automaticly do them correct.

Nice and big. Is the goose neck detachable?

Tie down chains are typically stored in boxes or hung on a rack in the back of the truck. It's kind of strange seeing them on pallets.

Goose neck is fixed, I considered that it's either detachable goose neck or tilting ramps, I choosed the ramps.

Chains are placed there only temporarely, because there is rack in 8258. But if I would not have drawn them there I would have forgotten to order them :D

That's awesome. Cant wait to see photo's of the real thing with a Dozer or Excavator on it.

Will the extreme slope in front of the wheels cause any trouble in driving the vehicles off the trailer?

Will the thickness of the trailer be enough to make it solid? It being so thin in the middle part makes me think it may be wobbly or in the worst case not be able to carry the bulldozer or excavator at all.

That's awesome. Cant wait to see photo's of the real thing with a Dozer or Excavator on it.

Will the extreme slope in front of the wheels cause any trouble in driving the vehicles off the trailer?

I have done some tests with those few spare parts which I have, and thats why I added those plates with studs on the ramps and fenders for better grip and increasing friction.

Will the thickness of the trailer be enough to make it solid? It being so thin in the middle part makes me think it may be wobbly or in the worst case not be able to carry the bulldozer or excavator at all.

Middle frame is only two studs thick, but I tried to create box-shaped capsular structure in the middle, for best posible torsional stifness and rigidity. I haven't done any strength calculations about legos but I will improve it if it shows some weaknesses. :)

As someone how plays with lego cad also i do know how long this must of taking you to build well done. pirate_thumbup.gif

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Very nice design, but wouldn't attaching it to the 8258 be kind of long, the 8258 itself is a long model even without a trailer and I often wondered why they designed it with a 5th wheel as it had no functional purpose at all in the model out of the box. I have wanted a low-boy to carry my 8043 on and Lego to my knowledge, at least in the past 10 years or so, has never designed one specifically for transporting loaders, dozers or excavators as you see in real-life. I was thinking more of using the B model 8285 Tractor front and attaching a low-boy to that. I modified the B model 8285 trailer and took the crane off the back and made that a sort-of transporter for my 8294 and the 7634(think I have the set# right)City Bulldozer fit on it, but the 8043 and 8265 are WAY too large. The 8455 Backhoe Loader and the 8464/8459/8439 Pneumatic Loader will fit on it but the front buckets have to be raised up on the pneumatic 'box' assembly that attaches to the Tractor itself. In real life most front-end loaders are put on trailers or low-boys with the buckets facing the rear, and this MOC would make that happen.

Lego did make a truck and trailer, 8872 this to me should be made again as other models have been rebuilt in the past. However this trailer you have built is great.

Middle frame is only two studs thick, but I tried to create box-shaped capsular structure in the middle, for best posible torsional stifness and rigidity. I haven't done any strength calculations about legos but I will improve it if it shows some weaknesses. :)

I've also tried to do a lowboy trailer for this specific application many times; and all the time I've failed. My current design uses 2 x studfull 1x14 bricks with 2 plates to build a "truss" system as the centre beam with the 5x11 panels as the roll deck. the bending is greatly reduced, but it does not look nice.

For my particular design, and for the use of 8043 and 8265 as cargo, the minimum low-bow widht is 21 studs; which does not fit anymore with the crane truck.

Good luck with this project!

@ Mtx: Without seeing your LDD .lxf file, I can only guess how rigid your 2-studs-high frame will be. Countdown and I are both Civil Engineers, and could help you in the design of this trailer (which is essentially a long beam supported at both ends).

If the frame is flexing vertically, you could possibly stiffen it up with 60483 "Technic, Liftarm 1 x 2 Thick with Pin Hole and Axle Hole" parts. This piece appears on the LDD 4.0 LU Mode parts pallette. These parts will help make a TRUSS out of the Technic Liftarms, and the Technic Axle Pin X-holes will help resist rotation. :wacko:

60483.jpg

I've also tried to do a lowboy trailer for this specific application many times; and all the time I've failed. My current design uses 2 x studfull 1x14 bricks with 2 plates to build a "truss" system as the centre beam with the 5x11 panels as the roll deck. the bending is greatly reduced, but it does not look nice.

For my particular design, and for the use of 8043 and 8265 as cargo, the minimum low-bow widht is 21 studs; which does not fit anymore with the crane truck.

Good luck with this project!

I have now used the 5x11 frames vertically between the 11x5 panels with another 5x11 frame between the bottom of the two rows of frames. Of course this means the deck is 5 thick but it seems to be the strongest way.

I have now used the 5x11 frames vertically between the 11x5 panels with another 5x11 frame between the bottom of the two rows of frames. Of course this means the deck is 5 thick but it seems to be the strongest way.

You should check out the harbour crane's boom (8053-B) is made out of a truss which is roughly 4 studs thick (8053-b book 4 p.6). The total deflection is really small; it's torsionally pretty resistant and fairly lightweight. With some minor mods, you can make it as long as you have liftarms.

{{I've tried to upload a VERY SMALL pic and the browser wouldn't let me...}}

Now the million dollar question is how to make it look good.

Very nice work. I need to make me one of these trailers so i will be following your thread :)

Is there any instructions for the trailer please

Hi Johnplatten1990, and welcome to Eurobricks.

Generally we discourage posting in old topics, as it pushes new content further down the page and makes it harder to navigate the forum. This sort of question is best asked via private message, which you'll be able to do once you've made 10 quality posts.

Since the original poster is still active on EB and may therefore answer your question, I've let this be, but please try to avoid reviving old threads unnecessarily in future.

Thanks, and enjoy the forums!