Frolando22

Display Stands

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Greetings Eurobricks! I don't know how you choose to store your LEGO star wars sets, but for me I have them all on shelves with ships either in landing mode or in flight on a stand with the minifigures standing neatly in front of the display. Some sets just look better in flight such as the X-Wing or ARC-170. I'll show more picture later, but for now here's my custom ARC-170 stand.

picture1.jpg

picture8.jpg

I like how you used the republic symbol. Personally I just display all my sets on clear bricks. I'm sure many members have other great ideas.

I do not have enough clear bricks, so I currently use black bricks for stands. I currently have a slightly tilted stand for the old ARC-170 version, giving a nice front-top view of the ship. Beyond that I usually like creating simplistic scenes with the figures and ship like for example a simple hangar bustling with activity. Only use the model with figures in front line-up with models I couldn't place in a little scene at that moment. I also prefer not putting models in flight mode when they rely on rubber bands cause I really don't know whether this will make the rubber bands dry up and become brittle after a prolonged period(I know the old black ones are nearly all dried out anyways, not sure about the newer rubber bands, if anyone has any experience with this I'd very much like to share in that wisdom.)

Thanks for the replies! The Republic logo was an extra sticker from the Y-Wing. I don't have any clear bricks.

Our SW ships are hangin' from the ceiling :classic:

sw.jpg

Wow, that's impressive. It really gives it the flight idea. My only concern would be them possibly falling?

Good topic! :thumbup: Remember not to quote pics, just reply or cut it out.

I use Shiny black bricks, they just look so presentable and sleek. Sometimes I use an emblem as well.

Wow, that's impressive. It really gives it the flight idea. My only concern would be them possibly falling?

I'm not concerned about them to fall.

I use thin iron wire, that won't brake. Then it's only about to find the correct place for the wire.

ironwire.jpg

Edited by MarcoB

I don't know about you, but I think having a model longer than a foot long on a tall, thin stand balanced on naught but a 6 x 8 plate would be scarier than hanging in from the ceiling.

I have displayed all of my ships in flight mode with a custom stand.

I did a quick LDD file :

The basic design is always the same, only the small greeble on the front changes to have a little variations.

lddstand.jpg

LXF file

Unfortunately I had to leave all my LEGO behind and I won't come home for quite a while so I can't take a picture. Because I made a special one for my Tantive IV which I am rather proud of. It's a tripod which I tried to rebuild from memory in LDD. It looks something like this except that the ball connectors are somehow attached to the main bar to steady it. then I had to remove one of the inverted slopes on the bottom of the ship (the one right next to the round part with the small wheels) and slide the whole thing into place on top of the stand. It might look really flimsy like that, but in fact its right on the gravitational center of the model, so it works great.

lddtripod.jpg

LXF file

Personally I just display all my sets on clear bricks.

You must have a lot of clear bricks...

Well, I wouldn't mind so much, since that 6212 is pointing toward rock bottom anyway. :devil:

By the way Frolando22, I would advise you to deeplink images from another site such as Flickr or brickshelf rather than uploading, because that takes up your file space which isn't good if you tend to include lots of links and pictures in your posts (like me).

MarcoB, have you ever had any issue of the wire cutting into the bricks?

I don't know about you, but I think having a model longer than a foot long on a tall, thin stand balanced on naught but a 6 x 8 plate would be scarier than hanging in from the ceiling.

Indeed. Here's my solution:

clonewars.jpg

The column holding up my ARC-170 is 4x4, sturdy enough so that it won't topple when something hits the wall.

6205 looks much better in flight, stacked nose notwithstanding:

overall.jpg

Sorry about the bad flash. But I guess the ARC-170 is just a bizarre design in the first place; six wings with three copilots (though the latter is probably a homage to some WWII ship, so I don't mind that too much), and how often do you see S-foils on a bomber?

MarcoB, have you ever had any issue of the wire cutting into the bricks?

Cutting into? No, ships are not so heavy. Some minor scraches.. well maybe, but haven't seen any.

Scratches appears when my boy plays with them :laugh:

But I admit, some strong white string or insulated electric wire would be better.

But I admit, some strong white string or insulated electric wire would be better.

Fishing line would be even better, but without padding I can say from experience that with lots of movement that'll begin to eat through the pieces.

I usually use white or black bricks (clear would be ideal but I have none), and each stand varies from model to model. I also try to hold up the weak points of the ship, for example the ARC-170, I put a stand on the edge of each wing, under the guns to prevent the plates from bending.

Edited by Brickus

I also try to hold up the weak points of the ship, for example the ARC-170, I put a stand on the edge of each wing, under the guns to prevent the plates from bending.

But those wings are supposed to sag, in the fashion of the N-1 or the Eta-2 - in fact, part of the reason I display the set on a stand is to allow them to sag a bit.

6205 looks much better in flight, stacked nose notwithstanding

I agree. That is a ship that must be in flight. It is also small enough that a stand is easy to make. I noticed you removed the "landing gear", fallenangel309, that's what I do as well.

All right, here's Plo Koon's JSF:

picture13.jpg

picture14.jpg

It may not look sturdy, but it is and won't be heartbreaking if it falls :tongue:

Does anyone have any ideas for a TIE Defender Stand/Display Method? Mine is currently resting on it's wings.

18th post: My brother's lucky number. He loves bounty hunters

picture19.jpg

Edited by Frolando22

Does anyone have any ideas for a TIE Defender Stand/Display Method? Mine is currently resting on it's wings.

I use the same design than the pylon that came with the first TIE Fighter. But I admit, I display it next to a wall because otherwise it tends to fall backward...

I use these: 4476.gif or 57893.gif attached to large (6x6 or bigger) bases for stability.

I only use one for each, except the new Slave 1, which I wanted displayed at an angle (like it's shown on the box)... I still used those supports, but I needed three of them.

Oh... I also throw in 3324c01.gif to get the ships angled in more interesting ways... I use those because for some reason I have dozens of them, but there are better choices.

I have a tendency to either Hang them (I use Fishing wire, works great), Or have them landed. Hanging them isn't piticularly hard, you can easily hang them off removeable command hooks (I just stick them on the bottom of the shelf above). I just hate the idea of something flying being on a stand.. But it all comes down to personal prefrance. So it's really up to you :classic:

I have a bunch of these from 2003 Snowboarding sets:

picture2.jpg

So I put some white pieces on it...

sam_0064.jpg

...and made a T-47 Snowspeeder stand:

picture3.jpg

I also made an X-wing stand. (I had to remove the cargo hatch.)

sam_0084.jpg

Edited by Frolando22