cavegod

UCS Sandcrawler

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Well i was inspired by Marshall B's Sandcrawler so i needed a project that will take a long time to build mainly because i don't own any brown lego!

i am aiming to have it pf controlled with functions of

Forward/reverse

left/right

Front ramp up and down

Crane in out and up down

lights

wether all this is possibly or not i do not know yet but i will give it a dam good try.

heres where i am at so far

5454291700_235dd00b59_z.jpg

5453682187_1008938949_z.jpg

excuse the random colours for now.

Cool, I do love a Sandcrawler. Clearly they're a little bit like buses at the moment... (I think you know where I'm going with that one). Can't wait to see more.

now help me out here i need opinions,

do you think i should mix brown and reddish brown as in the previous pic or should i build as i think and the bottom and underneath in brown and the rest in reddish brown, i thought about drk bluey for greebs etc or should i stick with brown/reddish all over? i have lots of dark orange etc for the rust.

do you think i should mix brown and reddish brown as in the previous pic or should i build as i think and the bottom and underneath in brown and the rest in reddish brown, i thought about drk bluey for greebs etc or should i stick with brown/reddish all over? i have lots of dark orange etc for the rust.

I think you should mix the browns to create detail. Perhaps a ring of dk. brown around each rust spot and then 'clean' areas in reddish brown. (actually, it'd look better the other way around, with the ring in reddish brown, but seeing as reddish brown is more common, you'd probably want that to be the main color)

also i'm not convinced it will drive when finished as it will weigh a lot! each crawler assembly will weigh 500g so thats 2kg without the body!

I wish you luck is this AWESOME creation you are working on 'cavegod', you need to make this vintage mining vehicle weather and sandstorm beaten.

Now the important question is what colour were they originally, the brown rust anyway and the original paint job is mostly gone...but some spots would remain in places visible but the sand doesn't touch as often as the rest of the crawler.

Brick On with the force ! :grin:

Hello!

You've proven to be an expert for large-scaled vehicles. Thus I have no doubt that the result will be fantastic. :classic:

Have fun building, and keep us informed here. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Looking at some of the reference in marshal_banana's topic I'm tempted to say do the majority in reddish brown & use the brown to represent some random panelling or 'patched-up' areas. Would the contrast be too much to throw in a bit of dark brown too?

Also, on the photo of the brick-built Sandcrawler you posted in marshal_banana's topic, although it's very impressive, I find the rusted area a bit unconvincing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it might be because it suddenly stops near the top - maybe bits of it should bleed to the top - that could be a part availability issue though. I'd also say there's too much light bley on that particular model. These things don't always look as good in a picture as they do in life though, so maybe it's bang-on and I'm just not seeing it.

Oh wow, two MOC Experts doing the exact same project at the same time, it would be interesting to see your take on this cavegod, I'm sure it'll be fantastic like your previous UCS builds. As far as suggestions would go, I'll just leave that to our OT experts here who'll have plenty of recommendations for you. We'll all keenly observe the progress of this one. Good luck on this project!

A good start cavegod! :thumbup: There are so many different shades in reddish brown, that you automaticly will get a nice pattern. :grin:

The assembly for the treads is quite different, compared to mine.

For me I also expect a slow progress. I'm again waiting for more brown parts... I'm always running out of these :hmpf_bad:

Well i decided to put all my brown/reddish brown in a big box and gave it a good stir, so whatever part i need the colour will depend on what i find first lol!

Well i decided to put all my brown/reddish brown in a big box and gave it a good stir, so whatever part i need the colour will depend on what i find first lol!

The easy way to do it. :laugh:

Personally, I think that there should be a method to it, as with greebling, since the placement of the colors is already determined by the studio model.

Well i now have a working steering system, just don't know wether it will work under load :cry_sad:

Well i now have a working steering system, just don't know wether it will work under load :cry_sad:

Does it steer like a tank so the tracks go in different directions or do the front/rear tracks move left and right as a car?

The front tracks will steer as a car as i believe thats the only way it would have been able to steer in RL.

A few pictures for you, you will note the similarites and identical parts to Marshall's so don't tell it's the same, i would just like constructive critisism.

5500159278_baa50942c8_z.jpg

5500162048_3d512be07d_z.jpg

5500165080_dfa99605e9_z.jpg

5499571667_0a2fdf2a81_z.jpg

5499574381_fd3a4c03fa_z.jpg

5499577431_126d24488b_z.jpg

5499580541_349f786bdc_z.jpg

5499583481_2e470e09f8_z.jpg

Daaaang.

You've got Cherry Coke?!?! :laugh:

In all seriousness, this is amazing, I like the greeble panels. One flaw I see, though, is that the top of the front isn't sloped; it's flat.

Looking so good Cavegod! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see more. :sweet:

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

Daaaang.

You've got Cherry Coke?!?! :laugh:

In all seriousness, this is amazing, I like the greeble panels. One flaw I see, though, is that the top of the front isn't sloped; it's flat.

ah but i see a flaw in your flaw, i haven't built the top of the front yet!

ah but i see a flaw in your flaw, i haven't built the top of the front yet!

You've put a slope on the top of the front, but it's supposed to be just flat.

i've put a slope because that part is sloped :laugh:

i haven't built the cockpit area yet!

i've put a slope because that part is sloped :laugh:

i haven't built the cockpit area yet!

Nice. Evidently you're still waiting on some brown pieces, but everything else looks good. The only thing that concerns me is that you have two small beveled gears and one axle to rotate the whole tread assembly left and right. Wouldn't it be safer (albeit slower) to use screws?

Ah, I see what you're doing. You're making the doors and the main cockpit seperate. In that case, add accuracy to the list of awesomeness. :thumbup:

Corrrect brickdoctor,

the treads are mounted to turntables and then 8 tooth gears, and that axle with the bevels will go through a gearbox with worm drive :thumbup: