Gareth

12volt De-coupler

Hi everyone.

I have more questions this time its about the 12 volt decoupler '7862' why is there so few for sale compared to other items such as points, did TLC not make many of them or are they easy to get broken?.

Looking at the set it does not seem to be too hard to recreate one with the use of a switch motor and some technic pieces (I hope anyway) and all the appropriate controllers etc .

If any one has already solved this problem and actually made one I'd love to hear off them.

Many thanks Gareth.

I've 2 of these in my layout, but they work poorly. I've the placed because it's something form 12v area, but never used it.

I agree, they won't very well.

Reasons for their rarity: they were only available for a few years. They probably didn't sell that many because they were rather expensive so people probably spent their money on something more usefull, like remote points or signals.

Ah thanks guy's, that's a shame that it doesn't work very well I'm not in that desperate need of one to complete my collection. I'll just have to come up with a solution my self something using the control boxes for the decoupler set and may be a 4.5 volt motor or even 12 volt.

I'll have to throw some ideas about and see what I get out of it.

Thank you for all you'r help.

Right I've been trying out a few ideas and seem to come up with something.

The idea I have goes along the line of having an arm that physically either comes down or slides across and holds the rolling stock in place to let the engine move away. The motor I tested it with was the 4.5volt motor '870' with gear reduction kit '872' and switch control units '7863'. It seem's to work well enough all I need to do now is refine it and post pictures up when I have the time. :classic:

Another question is does the control switch for set '7862' do exactly the same as the unit from '7863' ?

The idea I have goes along the line of having an arm that physically either comes down or slides across and holds the rolling stock in place to let the engine move away. The motor I tested it with was the 4.5volt motor '870' with gear reduction kit '872' and switch control units '7863'. It seem's to work well enough all I need to do now is refine it and post pictures up when I have the time. :classic:

Gareth, that idea sounds a bit like this, feel free to use/adapt/improve as you can.

Andy

Hi everyone.

I have more questions this time its about the 12 volt decoupler '7862' why is there so few for sale compared to other items such as points, did TLC not make many of them or are they easy to get broken?.

Looking at the set it does not seem to be too hard to recreate one with the use of a switch motor and some technic pieces (I hope anyway) and all the appropriate controllers etc .

If any one has already solved this problem and actually made one I'd love to hear off them.

Many thanks Gareth.

As Fuzzylegobricks already pointed out and refered to in his post, I made an "In-Loco-Decoupler-Design" using

a gear rack and standard PF stuff. I does the job quite well, and you have the advantage of de-coupling at any

place along your layout, not necessarily at a particular spot if you have a stationary solution.

Please keep us posted about any progress after making your own trials.

Gareth, that idea sounds a bit like this, feel free to use/adapt/improve as you can.

Andy

Yes thanks Andy that is very similar to what I came up with although mine was for 12 volts and would be controlled from the speed regulator/switches , but yes that's it. Thank's

Yes thanks Andy that is very similar to what I came up with although mine was for 12 volts and would be controlled from the speed regulator/switches , but yes that's it. Thank's

Great minds and all that!