Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Black Pearl just showed up for pre-order on amazon Japan. Needless to say I was all over that like I was a man back from a six month voyage and it was "pleasurable company". Ship date is Nov 1.

Brickset has just added a new PotC polybag set to its database, it is set no. 30133 and it is just a Jack Sparrow minifigure. Its picture is from keithkram, a Brickset member who also has a store on Bricklink where you can buy this polybag set from, link. Here is a picture of it :pir-classic: :

30133-1.jpg

~buddy~

It's very similar to the old tricorne Jack Sparrow ("Captain Jack Sparrow"). To me, it looks like the head is the same, but his torso/leg printing has a blue coat over everything (but under the belt). The older Jack minifig with a tricorne has a brown coat on. So it's as if they've just turned the old brown coat into a blue coat. :pir-sceptic: What do you guys think? Can you spot any other differences here?

It's all known parts, just different placement. In sets we used to get either Jack with his hat and his brown coat on, or Jack with no hat and his blue shirt on. Then what it seems in Black Pearl Jack will come in his brown coat with no hat (since it's from the 2nd movie) and then we get the last combination of parts: the one in the blue shirt with the hat. Everything seems to be same parts, except if the head has a new back print.

My bad, thought I'd heard otherwise. Actually looks like it is likely they'll be a 5th film in 2013 too which makes classic lego pirates future quite a bit more uncertain. :pir_bawling:

It seems that the movie did not do well in the US, but this decrease was more than compensated by gains from the rest of the world. Now, the question is how important is the US market to LEGO?

what is different about that Jack, you can make him if you have Jack w/hat and w/o hat versions.

Unless his face has a different reverse, still not worth the $30 IMO though.

I've just found a new picture of Davy Jones and Bootstrap Bill on www.spielwaren-kontor24.de:

d936917e9957aeb44f8a0c367da03789_4.jpg

Click here for a bigger version: http://www.spielwaren-kontor24.de/Lego/LEGO-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean/LEGO-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-4184-The-Black-Pearl

I really hope this set comes out on s@h soon, the wait is destroying me :pir_bawling:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Thanks for the pics, the minifigs are so cool!

So what's up with the Black Pearl? It's Semptember already! The wait is killing me. Anyone has any insider information about the exact release date? Also any rumors on what's happening to the line in 2012? Every theme has some news some even have the pictures ... but Pirates? Pirates should be first to know anything about the illegal stuff ;)

Thanks for the pics, the minifigs are so cool!

So what's up with the Black Pearl? It's Semptember already! The wait is killing me. Anyone has any insider information about the exact release date? Also any rumors on what's happening to the line in 2012? Every theme has some news some even have the pictures ... but Pirates? Pirates should be first to know anything about the illegal stuff ;)

From what I've read, and from here, (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/4184_The_Black_Pearl ), it will come out in time for christmas! Now, doesn't THAT seem just like LEGO... :pir_laugh2:

The figures look great!

The more I see The Pearl the more I want it. I wasn't too interested early on, but now I really want it. Too many legos, not enough monies.

I guess this is it then. No more PotC in 2012? This folder doesn't show us any new sets. There aren't any other Pirate sets either... :pir-sceptic:

At least not for first wave 2012 (January), it would seem. Aside from the Pearl I suppose. But PotC appeared in the summer, so maybe there will be more sets in summer 2012.

Davy Jones looks amazing, I just wish Bootstrap was a little more colorful (green)...

If you guys aren't aware yet, on the Barnes and Noble website (a retailer in the USA), they seem to have had an accidental leak of all the set numbers and most of the names for the January wave. There don't seem to be any PotC sets in there. Furthermore, I see a set for Spongebob called "3817 The Flying Dutchman". A google search shows some cartoony thing that looks like this:LINK. I don't think that set name bodes well for a PotC set for the Dutchman. I don't see them having both sets on shelves at the same time, because that would cause confusion.

My personal opinion - I'm getting skeptical that this theme will continue, at least immediately. Maybe in 2-3 years if they make that 5th movie we might see more sets. We shall see...

P.S. There's a Ninjago ship coming out too. Could be an okay source for parts. Perhaps that's another indicator of a lack of pirate sets into 2012... :pirate_sad2:

Edited by Zeya

thats first proper picture of black pearl i've seen, looks great which is a bonus since i preordered mine 3 months ago

There don't seem to be any PotC sets in there. Furthermore, I see a set for Spongebob called "3817 The Flying Dutchman". A google search shows some cartoony thing that looks like this:LINK.

P.S. There's a Ninjago ship coming out too. Could be an okay source for parts. Perhaps that's another indicator of a lack of pirate sets into 2012... :pirate_sad2:

Actually they might both be a valuable source of parts for Pirate MOCs. That Spongebob ship might look quite interesting in LEGO form (possibly grey hull?). Oh well, we'll find out eventually...

The problem is they didn't capitalize on the first three movies when they came out. Obviously it was a matter of timing, other licenses, and a number of other things, but POTC movies are, like most "series," less and less popular with each one (multiple movies that tell a single story notwithstanding... like SW and LOTR and HP).

The next movie (if there even is one) is almost (almost) guaranteed to be even less popular. I think they passed the window of opportunity on POTC.

I would love to see a Flying Dutchman, though. Finally got QAR and am quite happy with it.

That folder looks very interesting, obviously this theme did not sell well enough, so it has gone to the fishes :pir-laugh:

Lego tried to late to get a deal on these sets, they should of started way back maybe during the 2nd film, sad knowing we will probably never see more POTC sets as there was some very nice possible sets that could of been made

P.S On an unrelated note, Ninjago has become 100 times cooler! And finally a LEGO Chinook! :pir-wub:

:jollyroger:

Well if you believe everything you read there are 2 more films planned so hopefully there is plenty of life left in this theme yet:

Fifth and possible sixth film

The actors playing in the fourth film were told by Disney not to occupy their time in the near future, as the studio intends to shoot a fifth and sixth film back-to-back. On January 14, 2011, it was confirmed that Terry Rossio will write the screenplay for the fifth installment, without his co-writer Ted Elliott. Johnny Depp said that he would be happy to return as Captain Jack Sparrow saying "As long as we can put all the puzzle pieces together, I would most definitely consider it". Jerry Bruckheimer said that the fifth film would be a stand-alone film. According to Terry Rossio, the script for the fifth film is finished, and he has handed the script to Disney executives.[24] Speaking at the fourth film's press launch in Cannes, Depp said he would play the role for as long as it is popular with the public. Disney has a wishlist of directors they would like to direct, as Rob Marshall has not yet accepted or declined to direct. The list includes Tim Burton, Sam Raimi, Alfonso Cuaron, Shawn Levy, Chris Weitz, and original Pirates director Gore Verbinski. Gore Verbinski and Tim Burton are Disney's top choices[citation needed] as they have both worked with Disney and Johnny Depp on numerous occasions. Disney wanted Tim Burton for the fourth film as Gore Verbinski would not be returning. On July 6, 2011, Johnny Depp confirmed he was closing in on a deal for the fifth film