Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Im not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but i found a clip where we see the starting scene from new POTC Video game. Here we see some parts of Dauntless, and at the end of it, we see the Black Pearl. Just though this would be intresting.

Captain becker

I'm trying the instructions for the Port Royal set now. I have the main building finished and working on the dock now. I'll try to do finish the dock tonight if I have enough time and will post some pictures here when it's finished (or perhaps in a new thread as review.) And maybe I'll try to work the set out as LXF tomorrow and post this here as well :pir-blush:

I'm trying the instructions for the Port Royal set now. I have the main building finished and working on the dock now. I'll try to do finish the dock tonight if I have enough time and will post some pictures here when it's finished (or perhaps in a new thread as review.) And maybe I'll try to work the set out as LXF tomorrow and post this here as well :pir-blush:

Great, I can't wait to see it!

I agree with Mr_Malfoy, can't wait to see it! As I posted on the previous page, I was planning to try to build it, but I'm glad you beat me to it! Also, does anybody know what sets are used to build it? I don't want to have to buy to many extra sets. (I want to have all the original sets built, along with Port Royal)

Edited by Legomaster34

I agree with Mr_Malfoy, can't wait to see it! As I posted on the previous page, I was planning to try to build it, but I'm glad you beat me to it! Also, does anybody know what sets are used to build it? I don't want to have to buy to many extra sets. (I want to have all the original sets built, along with Port Royal)

Only Whitecap bay and London escape.

Only Whitecap bay and London escape.

Perfect! Now I just need to wait till Toys R Us has a buy one get one sale!

P.S. Where did you find this information?(I mean about which sets are needed. I know where you got the video and the poster from) :pir-classic:

Perfect! Now I just need to wait till Toys R Us has a buy one get one sale!

P.S. Where did you find this information?(I mean about which sets are needed. I know where you got the video and the poster from) :pir-classic:

Before you set the video to fullscreen you can see the text under the video player in the little pop up window. If you pause the youtube video you'll see, its abit cut off but its what it says. :pir-classic:

I have the set ready and it looks marvelous! Though I wasn't able to take any pictures today (I blame the wonderful weather) so I will do that in the morning. I have the text review finished though but will post that with pictures only, so tomorrow. I did start on making the LDD file but I need to do a little more background on the actual colours that were used in this sets first before I can place certain bricks. So maybe somewhere the next few days I will have it finished. I'll post it here the moment I have it :pir-sweet: I'm glad to have it finished as I get "Code has already been used" when trying to get the vid reward again.

I recently bought the three smaller sets a couple weeks back, and just noticed some thing peculiar. Within each set there are some characters whose top holes on their head are completely filled in while some have the normal triangle thing. I have not noticed this in my sets from other themes, but also haven't bought any since February. Has anybody else noticed this?

I recently bought the three smaller sets a couple weeks back, and just noticed some thing peculiar. Within each set there are some characters whose top holes on their head are completely filled in while some have the normal triangle thing. I have not noticed this in my sets from other themes, but also haven't bought any since February. Has anybody else noticed this?

None of the heads from White Cap Bay, The Mill, or London Escapes are filled. I haven't gotten any of the smaller sets yet. Which figure's head was different?

my Skeleton Barbossa and Captain's Cabin Jack have the filled in head holes

I got my first set today, and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the packaging seems a lot more glossy than usual.

I wonder if this (plus the licensing) is another reason why the sets here are more expensive.

I have the set ready and it looks marvelous! Though I wasn't able to take any pictures today (I blame the wonderful weather) so I will do that in the morning. I have the text review finished though but will post that with pictures only, so tomorrow. I did start on making the LDD file but I need to do a little more background on the actual colours that were used in this sets first before I can place certain bricks. So maybe somewhere the next few days I will have it finished. I'll post it here the moment I have it :pir-sweet: I'm glad to have it finished as I get "Code has already been used" when trying to get the vid reward again.

I assume you are talking about the Port Royal build? If so, great work and thanks! :classic:

However I would have preferred TLG to make an actual set of it.

So far I have bought:

Isla de la Muerta

The Cannibal Escape

The Mill

And The London Escape

All the figure from Isla de la Muerta has no holes in their heads, the skulls from Cannibal Escape has no holes and Jack and Gibbs from London Escape has no holes in their heads, the rest of the figure has heads with holes.

Another thing, why is the poster from London Escape twice the size of the other posters?

I assume you are talking about the Port Royal build? If so, great work and thanks! :classic:

However I would have preferred TLG to make an actual set of it.

Hopefully the line is doing well and they will. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see another wave beyond the Black Pearl!

Edited by YodasMaster

All the figure from Isla de la Muerta has no holes in their heads, the skulls from Cannibal Escape has no holes and Jack and Gibbs from London Escape has no holes in their heads, the rest of the figure has heads with holes.

Another thing, why is the poster from London Escape twice the size of the other posters?

That is weird about the holes. I've never seen that. I have all but two of the sets.

About the posters, to me they all seemed to be different sizes depending on the set/box size so they don't need to be folded more than twice (I assume).

Ok, I'm not all that surprised about that the posters grow larger with the sets. It just seemed gigantic at first, even if it's just about the size of the posters from the 90's.

By the way, sorry about the poor grammar earlier, I should know better than that.

Here's what the Black Pearl looks like in the Lego game and a future insight, maybe on the set coming in november, I do wonder though, if it's based on part two, would they come out with the Curse of the Black Pearl version?

blackpearle.th.jpg

Front of the ship, and pintel and raguetti. I know it's a videogame but it holds clues to what sets and minifigures this line will maybe give us:

60575923.th.jpg

96274279.th.jpg

Edited by eldiano

If the Pearl we get in November looks like that I will be very pleased. The sails shouldn't be tattered though, if it's based on Dead Man's Chest like the prerelease stuff has said.

Although I hope the contrary, I doubt this is the exact model we'll see. Lego ships never had the whole top deck - cannons deck totaly covered. Maybe the outline will be similar, but the deck is only for the playability of the game I think. And again as I already said, I still hope the crew is from the first movie and we get more interesting zombies ...

What are the rewards for the other cards? Is the Port Royal Build just for redeeming one card or all of them?

Iiiew.. that doesn't look too good.. But if you give Lego a call and explain what's wrong with the piece, I'm shure they will replace it for you.

I recently returned home from a trip to New York, where I bought all the sets from this theme and brought them home in my luggage (without the boxes, of course). I've now assembled them all, and what a beautiful view I have next to me. :grin:

Here's my thoughts about the sets:

PRICE

Uh, the price! These sets are really, really expensive in comparison to the piece amount included in them. The fact that there are so many unique and new pieces (and extras in the form of posters and code cards) compensates the price only partially, in my opinion.

However, I actually made a huge bargain buying them from USA instead of my own country. I paid $440 (about 300€) for all the sets at the Lego Store in Rockefeller Center, which is a lot of dough, I admit. But in Finland, the total price for these sets is about 500€ because of some incomprehensible policy TLG has, so I actually saved 200€. Granted, the trip itself cost a lot more than that, but I would've made it anyway even if I hadn't bought any LEGO from there.

MINIFIGS

My biggest love in this hobby are the minifigs, and boy does this theme offer a wonderful bunch of them! Granted, they are all fleshies (except the few skeletons), but I don't discriminate. :grin:

The prints in all the minifigs are beyond fantastic, even though I don't really like how some of the prints continue from the torso onto the leg pieces, since that reduces their use separately. There's plenty of new headgear and hair pieces (and even pieces with both hair and a hat in them), and the new saber holster piece is quite nice as well.

The biggest stars of the theme's minifigs in my opinion are Jack Sparrow's multiple forms, the two mermaids, and Hadras (with the seashell on his head), but there really isn't a minifig in the bunch that I wouldn't like.

DESIGN

I built the sets in the order of size, starting from the smallest and finishing with Queen Anne's Revenge.

I have to say I don't really understand the concept of Captain's Cabin as a set, even though it offers several wonderful items. The furniture doesn't really fit into the ship or any of the buildings, and all three minifigs are featured in other sets as well.

The Fountain of Youth is a bit too simplistic for my taste, but again, the individual pieces make it worthwhile.

Isla De La Muerta has more going on for it, with the revolving rock feature and boat and treasure piles and all.

The hut in Cannibal Escape looks wonky and unbalanced for me, with the huge cage hanging from it, but the play features are nice. The throne is especially appealing to me, with the printed tile.

I have the Troll Battlewheel, so it was fun to see the same technique used in The Mill. I quite like the building itself, too, it's not as simple as it looks on first glance.

The tavern in London Escape (what's with all these "escapes" in so many set names?) could've been more like the buildings in the other sets, with a floor and proper walls etc. The carriages are quite nice, though.

Whitecap Bay is my favorite set of the bunch. The building is just so intricate, with an architecture and a design that has an actual feeling to it, being all gritty and weathered, rather than just being a house of bricks. Aside from the repeated zombie pirate, the minifigure selection is perfect, and the play features are actually quite skillfully designed.

Then there's the literal flagship of the theme, Queen Anne's Revenge. I absolutely love the rear cabin with it's intricate detailing and cloth canopies, but the bow leaves much to be desired. Why couldn't the figurehead skeleton be all trans-orange, or gold like the movie counterpart, instead of an ugly mashup? The main deck is very disappointing in it's bareness, it looks plain unfinished. And only three cannons with eight places for them to go into? What's the sense in that?!

So yeah, the theme has it's faults, but all in all I do not regret buying all the sets one second, since the overall aesthetics, the minifigs and individual pieces and mechanics are so inspiring. I will of course dismantle them to be used in my future projects, like I do to all the sets I buy, so look forward to seeing the pieces in my comics and hosted games. :wink: