Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Nope... so far its confirmed and listed on 2018 http://www.csfd.cz/film/297350-pirates-of-the-caribbean-6/diskuze/

I highly doubt that's true, as it's a foreign site and as far as I can tell not a proper news source or officially announced by Disney. Also, movies that big can't be made in just one year, and given the lukewarm reception to the last film and the announcement of this one, I think they'd want to wait and see how the fifth one does before green lighting a sixth. But maybe we should discuss this after the release of Dead Men Tell No Tales as this is a bit off topic. 

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I highly doubt that's true, as it's a foreign site and as far as I can tell not a proper news source or officially announced by Disney. Also, movies that big can't be made in just one year, and given the lukewarm reception to the last film and the announcement of this one, I think they'd want to wait and see how the fifth one does before green lighting a sixth. But maybe we should discuss this after the release of Dead Men Tell No Tales as this is a bit off topic. 

Actualy this site is general/main movie site in my country. They usually get proper info from official and direct sources. sometimes it happends that dated premiere is postponed or so, but so far they have POTC 6 listed on 2018. It could be changed though...

14 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Will be my first pirate ship also, already ordered a lot of stuff to attempt to make it minifigure scale. The main problem is that The Silent Mary set we are getting is battle damaged, worn by years of neglect and scaled down quite a bit - especially with the golden spires it has going.

I've done a rough calculation and the actual set is about 12 studs wide... while to replicate the below image accurately you'd need to increase that to 16 studs wide so that you have enough room for the two back doors.

hxxsyEz.png

pnI1EgW.png

Main concern when replicating is primarily going to end up being the front cannons, given they and the spires have been shrunk down considerably and to make them in scale requires remodelling most (if not all) of The Silent Mary.

When i've got the parts i'll be able to start making some basic steps towards finalising a minifigure scale version. First step when i get the set will be to switch out the pre-existing mini-cannons with actual cannon which should give a general sense of what i need to do proportion wise.

As a sidenote, from my count you'll need about 32 cannons to replicate this. Its a minimum of 18 on the lower decks (9 each side) and 10 on the main deck (5 each side) and 4 at the front (2 each side spire)

Some remarks about this (as I am planning to make an original Silent Mary, so without the ghost stuff)

- there is no need to replace the guns with molded ones. Those molded ones are too big for vessels. Many Lego ship builders are using round 1x1 bricks to represent guns.

- sailors almost never could walk straight on the lower decks, so keep this in mind, otherwise your vessel will become too high

7 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I would love to believe that but I just don't see that being the case.  I mean we would of heard reports of filming if this were true.

I know it is gossip, but the link I sent a few days ago indicates there will be a new movie... but also that filmong hasn't started as they are still adding new members

1 hour ago, Maxim I said:

Some remarks about this (as I am planning to make an original Silent Mary, so without the ghost stuff)

- there is no need to replace the guns with molded ones. Those molded ones are too big for vessels. Many Lego ship builders are using round 1x1 bricks to represent guns.

- sailors almost never could walk straight on the lower decks, so keep this in mind, otherwise your vessel will become too high

I know it is gossip, but the link I sent a few days ago indicates there will be a new movie... but also that filmong hasn't started as they are still adding new members

I didn't see the link you posted mate, I'll have a look now. 

2 hours ago, MrLegoCollector said:

I really wish there'd be a new Black Pearl set. Forever kicking myself that I never bought the last one when I had the chance

I'm insanely glad I chose to get those ships at the time of release, as they're just so expensive now. 

36 minutes ago, YoshiInstinct said:

I wish they made a Flying Dutchman set with Davy Jones and a HMS Endeavor set with Cutler Beckett.

Back in 2011 I was desperately wishing for a Maelstrom Battle set with the Dutchman, Pearl, and Endeavour for like $400. 

1 minute ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Back in 2011 I was desperately wishing for a Maelstrom Battle set with the Dutchman, Pearl, and Endeavour for like $400. 

Yeah that would be so cool

Can anyone who owns 4184 - The Black Pearl tell me if the pieces for Davy Jones came sealed inside an individual plastic baggie inside the usual, numbered bag with other parts? In other words, did the legs, torso, beard, head, and hat for Davy Jones all come in an individual baggie? I tried looking up an unboxing review, but it wasn't clear.

2 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Can anyone who owns 4184 - The Black Pearl tell me if the pieces for Davy Jones came sealed inside an individual plastic baggie inside the usual, numbered bag with other parts? In other words, did the legs, torso, beard, head, and hat for Davy Jones all come in an individual baggie? I tried looking up an unboxing review, but it wasn't clear.

Yes, all of his parts (including the head) were in an individual bag:

img_0179.jpg

36 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

Awesome! Thanks for the pic and reply!

Is that picture part of a review that I could read somewhere?

That picture was indeed part of a review, one I wrote back when the set was released, but I think it's no longer available due to the small forum I posted it in (brickhorizon) being out of existence :wink: The pictures however still exist and can be found in my ancient brickshelf gallery (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=487443) that I haven't updated since I joined flickr in 2013 :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

That picture was indeed part of a review, one I wrote back when the set was released, but I think it's no longer available due to the small forum I posted it in (brickhorizon) being out of existence :wink: The pictures however still exist and can be found in my ancient brickshelf gallery (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=487443) that I haven't updated since I joined flickr in 2013 :grin:

Oh, too bad! Those are great pics, though! Thanks for the help, and it's great looking at that gallery. I envy the fact that if you get the Silent Mary you will have a complete ship collection. :pir-classic:

On 07/03/2017 at 6:55 AM, Maxim I said:

Shall see about the Lego guns, primarily my only issue with them is simply the points that connect them to the Lego cannon base - which makes it difficult to replicate the towers of the Silent Mary. As for the lower decks, i'll probably only have one of the decks be tall enough for them to stand, in order to replicate the Salazar Vs Jack scene we've saw in the trailers.

Ended up getting a second Silent Mary recently, and the parts from both will be combined to see whether i can fill in the gaps in the current Lego version. Would have to make it quite a bit bigger to add additional layers of cannons and things.

On 30/03/2017 at 1:55 PM, Maxim I said:

my modified QAR

Looks pretty cool :)

On 08/04/2017 at 0:17 AM, BrickHat said:

Does anyone have a picture with all the minifigures (with or without the ones from 2017)? I'd love to see one and haven't been able to find one.

5657811602_c610ca83a9_b.jpg

Best i can find is this, unsure the source.

Edited by Scarilian

I faintly remember someone requesting comparison pictures of the three POTC ships, so here you go:

33998092485_2999ba90c5_z.jpg

33840448802_e219cc8047_z.jpg

33998091665_c3d2c9a5cf_z.jpg

33998091015_94382937bc_z.jpg

33868405341_fb3818121c_z.jpg

And some minifig comparisons:

33185254483_411a6847c0_z.jpg

33998090885_59d48c8ae9_z.jpg

33868405121_b951d3902f_z.jpg

33868404731_11ccefb4ae_z.jpg

33998089805_21c16e3c2e_z.jpg

Too bad we never got Pintel and Ragetti (or any BP crew members for that matter), now Barbossa is on his own :P 

I think it's now safe to assume there will be no more POTC sets now until/If there is another movie.  I do think it's a real shame as there was a lot of potential for some amazing sets that we have not yet seen. 

Does anyone know what happened to the FD pic from the Lego offices that is hidden somewhere in this thread? I have been searching and searching for it, and can't seem to find it. 

I just bought instructions for a great FD MOC, and I'm curious how it stacks up with the "official"one. 

On a side note, I'm curious how Sebeus feels about Lepin stealing his FD MOC? How many pieces was his MOC? I looked up the Lepin version, and it's like 3500 pieces, I don't know how they can do that MOC justice with that piece count? The FD MOC I am building is 5100 pieces, and I'm sure Sebeus MOC is larger. I'm sorry that Lepin is profiting off of your hard work.

This is the design for the MOC that I am using. ?

http://www.brickstruct.com/Brickstruct.com/Flying Dutchman page .html

Edited by Captain Pirate Man