Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Just now, deskp said:

Confirmed??! 

Last time I confirmed a reveal date it got revealed a day after. But yeah basically. :wink:

Sounds great, can't wait for the reveal :thumbup: Hopefully they don't skimp us out on the minifigs, I mean we can at least expect all of the six main characters to make an appearance in this set, right? :sweet: Right? :cry_happy: Right? *huh*

Usually I'd be a bit more trusty when it comes to D2C sets, but I can still feel the burn of the Disney Castle's minifig roster :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

WOOHOO! Great to hear the news and love the fact that it's just $200! If I save aggressively I should be able to get it in March. Plus I'll have a $35 reward to apply to it! And it's funny how I heard this news right after I finished rebuilding my Black Pearl :laugh:

A leak isn't a reveal...

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this turns out. I likely won't be getting it right away, if at all, but I am still curious on how it looks.

2 hours ago, Delta Customs said:

The "Silent Mary" will be a VIP exclusive in March and officially comes out in April for $199.95. 

Pricing is not as bad as i thought it would be. Glad we've got confirmation that its the Silent Mary. Hopefully we get pictures sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, deskp said:

Thanks, that's great news, tops 5 days left till images. :grin:

Well... NYTF is 18th-21st. It could be revealed in person on the 21st at the toy fair or if its a day after then it could be the 22nd via official images online.

41 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

I have a feeling we may get a reveal tomorrow.?  As long as we get 10+ mini figures I'll be a happy guy.

Main requirements are the following seven;
1. Salazar
2. Jack Sparrow
3. Hector Barbossa
4. Will Turner
5. Henry
6. Carina Smyth
7. Ghostly crew member

Just give us those with full printing including arms and legs and i'll be satisified with the figure line-up. If they wanted to expand, perhaps Gibb's and a few variants of the ghostly crewmembers for army-building. 10 figures would be great though. Just as long as we get the core six characters which the film will revolve around, plus a generic ghostly crew member.

Hopefully we do see it tomorrow, really interested in seeing how they do it.

Edited by Scarilian

3 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I have a feeling we may get a reveal tomorrow.?  As long as we get 10+ mini figures I'll be a happy guy.

What makes you think that? (Not doubting you, just wondering. :wink:)

4 hours ago, Legomaster34 said:

What makes you think that? (Not doubting you, just wondering. :wink:)

Just from what Just2Good said, that's all mate.  I could be wrong because I've never leaked any Lego news before.:grin:

10 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Just from what Just2Good said, that's all mate.  I could be wrong because I've never leaked any Lego news before.:grin:

Ah, gotcha! I thought I had been following this thread closely, but going back I see I missed some Just2Good hints! Bit of a bummer we didn't get to see the ship today, but those Brickheads look pretty nice! I may have to get both of them to display with the ship!

1 hour ago, Legomaster34 said:

Ah, gotcha! I thought I had been following this thread closely, but going back I see I missed some Just2Good hints! Bit of a bummer we didn't get to see the ship today, but those Brickheads look pretty nice! I may have to get both of them to display with the ship!

Yea, I'm a little disappointed to be honest but it's going to be this week at some point so not too long at all.:grin:

4 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

Yea, I'm a little disappointed to be honest but it's going to be this week at some point so not too long at all.:grin:

Especially considering there's only three more days in the week! :laugh:

I'm assuming pictures will release on the 18th, or maybe 17th at the earliest. I can't wait for this ship! If they incorporate the weird bow design, I'll probably make a display of that against the QAR like in the trailer, but if not then I'll just make a three-way sea battle with the ships.

Is there a reason Lego decided to make just one UCS set instead of a smal line of 4-5 sets in different price ranges? As someone who missed out on 2011 line, I still don't have Jack Sparrow! And I'd love a cheap-ish set with him, because I don't really care about a gigantic pirate ship, and I'd rather spend 200$ on various other themes , plus I don't even have enough space for new ship. So I'm seriously disappointed in Lego's decision regarding sets for this line.

7 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

If they incorporate the weird bow design, I'll probably make a display of that against the QAR like in the trailer, but if not then I'll just make a three-way sea battle with the ships.

That's my plan too! 

I think it will look really nice, can't wait to see pictures..... 

41 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Is there a reason Lego decided to make just one UCS set instead of a smal line of 4-5 sets in different price ranges? As someone who missed out on 2011 line, I still don't have Jack Sparrow! And I'd love a cheap-ish set with him, because I don't really care about a gigantic pirate ship, and I'd rather spend 200$ on various other themes , plus I don't even have enough space for new ship. So I'm seriously disappointed in Lego's decision regarding sets for this line.

In my view the reasoning could be along the lines of the following;
The ships have more recogniseability and are featured more in the movie than specific locations. From the trailer and the extended superbowl spot we also have'nt been shown any locations in detail that could forseeably be made into sets. We are also only really aware of about 6 or 7 characters, so releasing one ship with all of them makes sense. When people think 'Pirates' they tend to think 'Pirate Ship' so it also appeals at a more basic level. If its popular we could potentially get more sets later (considering we got a few from the previous movies in 2011 due to the popularity/license) At the moment it makes more sense to give us the ship.

1 hour ago, benderisgreat said:

There are a lot of AFOL Pirates fans out there...

For that market, if there's going to be a limited line, I think most people would want a big ticket ship rather than 4-5 smaller sets.

By the way, if you're after a relatively cheap Jack Sparrow minifig - the 30131 polybag goes for about  £7 on eBay 

Pirate ships must be consistent sellers for TLG because they release them on an almost annual basis. Conversely I remember some of the mid-size PotC sets from 2011 hanging around on shelves for years. They've obviously done the maths and decided the best way they can profit from the next film is by releasing a single UCS set.

I think as an AFOL it's easy to forget that TLG exist to make a profit and that their main audience is kids and their parents rather than AFOLs.