Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

It could be because it really was an awful model,

the black pearl set is easy, just a black hull with black sails.

But for the FD the color scheme alone is already problematic, the characteristic double galleries is kind of impossible to build decently at such small scale, the whole prow, etc.

Designing an FD set that can be sold at around 150$ and still look decent and accurate is a very big challenge I think.

Btw, I've been contacted by BrickQueen, very popular on youtube for her lego reviews, she wants to support my Cuusoo Flying Dutchman project,

that will give the project a boost I'm sure :pir-classic:

Edited by Sebeus I

There still seem to be an awful lot of Black Pearls and Queen Anne's Revenges sitting on the shelves at mass merchants such as Walmart. I'm betting any decisions on whether or not to make a Flying Dutchman will hinge on full price sales of those two sets.

There still seem to be an awful lot of Black Pearls and Queen Anne's Revenges sitting on the shelves at mass merchants such as Walmart. I'm betting any decisions on whether or not to make a Flying Dutchman will hinge on full price sales of those two sets.

A relative of mine checked 2 kmarts, none had the black pearl :pir_bawling: .

Also too, does anyone know if this is still available?

Edited by sologuy369

I heard somewhere that POTC sets weren't selling well, so TLG decided to cancell the release of the Dutchman. Is this true?

It's a rumour that has been around and around a few times. Whether it is true or not, we don't know yet. Besides, some say POTC sold poorly, others say it sold well. At least locally, the ships didn't last long on shelves, but it may be a different story elsewhere. I have not seen a Black Pearl since a week after they were released here, and QAR didn't last much longer, yet I see reports of the sets being marked at less than half price in other places. I think it may be true, but they might be waiting for another movie to release it. :pir_wacko: Who knows?

IMDB is a great resource, but it doesn't mean entries should always be taken at face value. The site is very good at keeping up with rumors and very early film developments. I've kept up with the film industry long enough to know that until a project is officially greenlit by the studio, anything can happen. And plenty of films are scrapped even after the greenlight (The Lone Ranger, which you mentioned, nearly came down to this). Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to make a 5th Pirates. I just don't want to see anyone get their hopes too high only to see the film not happen.

One website I saw this info from (Screenant) usually gets there information directly from producers and such, so I am pretty certain this news is real. But if you don't want to believe me than thats fine! *sarcasm* :pir-tongue:

Only the information about Johnny Depp's current filming status and the PoTC 5 listing came from IMDb. The fact that Johnny Depp had signed a six picture deal with Disney was reported on E! (can't remember the program) before On Stranger Tides was released.

[On a side note, it was reported that Mr. Depp is now single. Good hunting ladies. :pir-grin: ]

Back to the theme at hand, there are at least six more ships and plenty of scenes from the movie series that TLG can produce between movie releases. I doubt we'll see a return of Classsic Pirates until after the DVD release of the sixth movie.

Is this proof of the Flying Dutchman set? Or is it just the QAR? The colours look off. (You can see it next to Brickbeard's Bounty left of Woody & Buzz and the Black Pearl is above the big cardboard Woody & Buzz.)

LINK

Is this proof of the Flying Dutchman set? Or is it just the QAR? The colours look off. (You can see it next to Brickbeard's Bounty left of Woody & Buzz and the Black Pearl is above the big cardboard Woody & Buzz.)

LINK

This looks interesting, but it's probably just a prototype that won't be released. Perhaps there'll be room for it if LEGO decide to make more POTC sets to coincide with the release of the fifth film.

Interesting find. Its plausible that this could be a prototype Dutchman, although its a little to distant to make out for sure. I don't think its the QAR given the wildly different colour scheme, although the cabin is somewhat reminiscent of Blackbeard's ship. It actually looks quite big, certainly in comparison to Brickbeard's Bounty. Unfortunately its unlikely we'll see a Dutchman in production any time soon.

Are you guys talking about the ship way off in the distance on some counter? If so, that would seem to be a very unsafe place to keep a prototype, on top of a counter where just anyone could probably swipe or unintentionally misplace. Something like that would probably be behind glass or with some protective measures.

I think it could be a new ship, as their are some of the never to be second wave Alien Conquest sets on a simlar shelf, with various new sets around (Helms Deep, Mandolarion Shuttle...), possiblly from the rumored Ninja VS Pirates theme? Who knows...

The Flying Dutchman didn't get cancelled as it was never intended to be made in the first place.

No, it's been known for a while that Lego did plan to release a FD. We don't know if they canceled it because they canceled the entire line, or if they canceled it because the large ships weren't selling well.

No, it's been known for a while that Lego did plan to release a FD. We don't know if they canceled it because they canceled the entire line, or if they canceled it because the large ships weren't selling well.

Can you show us something about that?

LINK

That's a VERY interesting image, the colour scheme certainly looks like what LEGO would pick. However, the desks in the office also seem to have just random MOCs made by the employees, possibly it's just a MOC? Also, it's next to the BB, not the BP which is about a desk to the right.

(In other slightly related news, is that a Isengard tower I see???)

:jollyroger:

Can you show us something about that?

Yes, that would be helpful.

And LEGO POTC may still live, as the Voodoo Jack Sparrow set (30132) has been revealed to be part of the lineup of the Sun newspaper promotions in the UK in October (see here).

OHMYGOSH I hope they make a ship like that :pir-cry_happy: It looks like an EITC ship :pir-classic: Maybe they'll release the Dutchman if they release that? This is off topic but is anyone else wondering why they have Hot wheels and Playmobil on the counter? :pir_wacko:

This is off topic but is anyone else wondering why they have Hot wheels and Playmobil on the counter? :pir_wacko:

Hold your friends close and your enemies even closer.

Hold your friends close and your enemies even closer.

Perfect answer! I was wondering that as well though. Maybe for inspiration? I mean, they sell a lot and are very popular. Let's justr be happy it wasn't Mega-Bloks. :pir-tongue:

:jollyroger:

Hi all, I'm not sure If this is the right place to ask this but apparantly pirates of the carribean is making another movie, so does this mean the sets will restart?