Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I cannot wait to get these new sets so i thought checking out the instructions would help a bit to shorten the waiting time, but unfortunately they're still not up. What happened to the time when instructions were up already before the sets came out? I remember looking through instructions from all kinds of sets a year or 2 ago, weeks before they were released...

Back to the cardboard issue, Clone O'patra, I have opened several of the sets and I had several interesting revelations.

The Mill- cardboard and plastic sleeve.

London Escape- cardboard and plastic sleeve.

Cannibal Escape- no plastic or cardboard

Isla De Muerta- no plastic or cardboard.

Isla De Muerta- no plastic or cardboard.

I got two sets: Captain's Cabin and Isla De Muerta; both had cardboard and were in plastic wrap (along with the posters and, in the case of Captain's Cabin, the "baseball" type card).

To my delight, POTC sets are finally availible in Poland! The prices are:

QAR: 450 pln (equals 166 USD)

Whitecap Bay: 330 pln (equals 122 USD)

London Escape: 215 pln (equals 80 USD)

Fountain of youth: 90 pln (equals 33 USD)

Captain's Cabin: 60 pln (equals 22 USD)

Isla de muerta: 90 pln (equals 33 USD)

Cannibal escape: 140 pln (equals 52 USD)

The mill: 200 pln (equals 74 USD)

Video game: 80 pln (equals 30 USD)

Now, I know that shipping, taxes, additional price tag for being new and licence cost something, but still the prices are OUTRAGEOUS! I mean, the cheapest set goes for 60 pln! I still remember that in my childhood the smallest sets were for less than 10 pln, and for 60 you could get a middle-size set. Heck, I've got my BSB (100% complete) for LESS than Whitecap Bay last summer!

I do accept the price of QAR (Imperial Flagship costs 50% more and is not much better IMO) and the video game. Other prices should really go down.

That being said, I gladly ordered myself Captain's Cabin. Sure, it is overpriced, but it has the globe, Jack minifig, some wonderful bottles and those big bones, oh and the sword holder....and while I'm totally against fleshies, Jack is always welcome in my crew ;)

It's even more expensive here in Sweden. We have to pay:

QAR: 1300 SEK (equals 213 USD)

Whitecap Bay: 1000 SEK (equals 164 USD)

London Escape: 700 SEK (equals 115 USD)

Fountain of youth: 300 SEK (equals 49 USD)

Captain's Cabin: 150 SEK(equals 25 USD)

Isla de muerta: 300 SEK (equals 49 USD)

Cannibal escape: 500 SEK (equals 83 USD)

The mill: 600 SEK (equals 99 USD)

Most of those prices are more than twice the money you have to pay in USA, and some (e.g. Cannibal Escape) does almost cost 3 times as much. Even though the Swedish Krona is very strong for the moment (especially in comparison to US Dollars), I think this is really unfair.

Edited by Skrytsson

The Mill- cardboard and plastic sleeve.

My copy of The Mill had its paper goods boarded and bagged as well. Everything in there was pristine; I love it.

It's even more expensive here in Sweden. We have to pay:

QAR: 1300 SEK (equals 213 USD)

Whitecap Bay: 1000 SEK (equals 164 USD)

London Escape: 700 SEK (equals 115 USD)

Fountain of youth: 300 SEK (equals 49 USD)

Captain's Cabin: 150 SEK(equals 25 USD)

Isla de muerta: 300 SEK (equals 49 USD)

Cannibal escape: 500 SEK (equals 83 USD)

The mill: 600 SEK (equals 99 USD)

Most of those prices are more than twice the money you have to pay in USA, and some (e.g. Cannibal Escape) does almost cost 3 times as much. Even though the Swedish Krona is very strong for the moment (especially in comparison to US Dollars), I think this is really unfair.

Just a question: do those prices include sales tax? I know some countries include sales tax in their retail prices, but we typically don't in the US--it's totaled up at the register.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Just a question: do those prices include sales tax? I know some countries include sales tax in their retail prices, but we typically don't in the US--it's totaled up at the register.

TC

Yes, these prices include sales tax. That's true. How much is sales tax in USA? 15 %? 20 %? Here in Sweden it is 25 % :hmpf_bad:

Yes, these prices include sales tax. That's true. How much is sales tax in USA? 15 %? 20 %? Here in Sweden it is 25 % :hmpf_bad:

It varies from state to state and even varies by county or city. There is no federal sales tax. Some states have no sales tax, such as Oregon. Here in California it is around 10%. That's pretty typical for most places in the US, about 9% or 10%.

It varies from state to state and even varies by county or city. There is no federal sales tax. Some states have no sales tax, such as Oregon. Here in California it is around 10%. That's pretty typical for most places in the US, about 9% or 10%.

That's actually kinda high. It is only 7% in Georgia (where I am) and is 7% in most of the southern states.

A question to you guys in USA: Is 30132 Jack Sparrow Figure possible to buy in "fysical" Toys R Us-stores or only online?

Or do have to pre-order the videogame to get the Promo-figure?

I have not seen them yet. Usually at first you can only get them by whatever special mens Toys R Us sets forth, but on occasion, the Oh so special fig shows up at Toys R Us for sale months after the event. The Chrome Stormtrooper is a good example.

A question to you guys in USA: Is 30132 Jack Sparrow Figure possible to buy in "fysical" Toys R Us-stores or only online?

Or do have to pre-order the videogame to get the Promo-figure?

From that link:

PURCHASE LEGO® Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game and receive a LEGO® Pirates of The Caribbean mini figure.

As of right now, that minifig is only available if you preorder the video game. It isn't just TRU running that promotion, by the way. It's unknown whether they will sell it at a later date on its own. I can't guess if that will happen since I'm a relative newFOL. I haven't heard about it being available in the rest of the world either.

Does anybody know something new about the pearl?

With all those new SW sets showing up maybe it's timpe to reveal something about the captains beloved ship... :jollyroger:

Does anybody know something new about the pearl?

With all those new SW sets showing up maybe it's timpe to reveal something about the captains beloved ship... :jollyroger:

I don't think so, but I'm sick of waiting for the tiniest shred of news about this set! I hope that we get some news and possibly some images within the next month.

This morning, I was in my local LEGO Store (I got the Fountain of Youth and The Mill) and the manager there said that he'd heard some of the stuff that was coming out in this theme and that we'd be "very happy." I asked if he meant the Black Pearl, and he said yeah, and stuff beyond the Pearl. I tried wheedling more info out of him, but he said he couldn't talk about it. But it was a backhanded confirmation we will be seeing at least one more wave of POTC sets!

This morning, I was in my local LEGO Store (I got the Fountain of Youth and The Mill) and the manager there said that he'd heard some of the stuff that was coming out in this theme and that we'd be "very happy." I asked if he meant the Black Pearl, and he said yeah, and stuff beyond the Pearl. I tried wheedling more info out of him, but he said he couldn't talk about it. But it was a backhanded confirmation we will be seeing at least one more wave of POTC sets!

Thanks for this information. I'm very happy to hear this, as PotC is a fantastic theme. Hopefully in the next wave we'll get Tia Dalma, Governor Weatherby-Swann and some powdered wigs.

Not sure if this is old news, but I was at my local Wal-Mart and they had all the smaller PoTC sets, $40 and under.

That's great! I have set ideas already forming in my head, but as long as we see Davy Jones(MUST-MAKE, LEGO!) and Tia Dalma, I'll be fine.

Just found this trailer for the Lego POTC video game which shows some good shots of Flying Dutchman and Black Pearl possibilities. Now, as this is the game, it's probably not the same as the Lego, but it gives you an idea. Enjoy! Link!

Just found this trailer for the Lego POTC video game which shows some good shots of Flying Dutchman and Black Pearl possibilities. Now, as this is the game, it's probably not the same as the Lego, but it gives you an idea. Enjoy! Link!

It would be really cool if they made the Flying Dutchman. Beside Davy Jones I would very much like to see Bootstrap Bill - since he is played by Stellan Skarsgård that would also mean that we'd finally had our first character based on a Swedish actor in Lego :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by Skrytsson

Some nice pictures in this trailer of possible figs and ships:

Port Royal Maidens

Sao Feng

Davy Jones

Bootstrap Bill

Elisabeth Swann (in Asian clothing)

Shanghai Ship Empress

Flying Dutchman

All nice additions for Christmas 2011 :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by narbilu

I just purchased a copy of Cannibal Escape today, in the U.S., and the instructions and poster were horribly (and I mean really horribly) mangled, not in a separate bag with cardboard. All that I've seen so far on the internet made me think that the instructions and poster would absolutely come in a bag with cardboard, but I suppose there is some variation, since mine was not.

Has anybody else got a set with the paper materials not in nice packaging like this?

Nope no nice packaging on mine. :pir_bawling: We'll see with my next set.

Stuff beyond the Pearl? In all honesty, I have a hard time thinking what could bo so awesome.

Personally, I hope for a minifig pack and/or Impulse set(s) and a nice ship or two. Land structures are less interesting for me, but ships are always welcome. Also, some more soldiers could be done - so far, the whole line features two soldiers and crazy amount of pirates.

By the way, am I the only person who thinks that POTC line gives much more to Lego Pirates than the Brickbeard line? I mean, it uses similar parts (masts, black cannons), but does the job better. Just compare Brickbeard's Bounty and QAR. In fact, QAR has the potential the old ships had - BSB and SES. Add some cannons, second deck, cabin decorations, your own crew and voila - a mighty, personalized vessel. Due to 2 mid sections and overall design BB is much less customizable. The BB line minifigs look childish to me (the skull on the captain's hat is sooo much <insert that tiresome argument> it hurts!), and POTC ones seem more serious. They still are Lego toys with some funny accents and simplifications, but remain the essence of a pirate. Just like the before-2000 ones. After making him good ol' yellow, Jack suits my customized BSB like he was produced somewhere in 1990's! Too bad he has backprinting. The parts also suit the whole universe. Yesterday I've put the globe, bottles, some brown parts and watcheyes on my flagship and they really fit. I cannot say that about childish food pieces from BB line.

I am even thinking about getting one POTC ship. QAR is totally awesome, but I'm gonna wait at least for the Pearl. Black hull, sails and maybe even cannon flaps (you know, the things you have on the side) could make my flagship as mighty as in my best dreams, really.

That being said, I am eager for more news about second line of POTC!

By the way, my Captain's Cabin indeed had the cardboard for instructions. A GREAT idea, wish it became a standard.

Edited by Squarepants

Oh still waiting for the first line to be released here, but great to hear that a second wave could be on its way.

My guess/wish of possible sets:

Flying Dutchman set(a must!)

Flying Dutchman related small set

Shanghai set

Port Royal prison cells with a dog, a bone and a key :)

Port royal port set

Tortuga including for example Mr. Gibbs, ex-commodore Norrington and a small pig (If you know the movies, you know what I mean) ;)

Just a couple of quick ideas I'm sure there are other possibilities.

Edit: and a Captain Teague figure whould also be very nice!!!

Edited by Dane