Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I don't mean to be a nuisance, but doesn't all this discussion of the plot belong in the "Culture&Multimedia" forum?

Has the PotC minisite on LEGO.com disappeared? I can't find it...

Oh I figured the book is way different. They already made 3 movies so they have to tie in, plus hollywood always changes book-based movies to fit for time and other things. I was mostly wondering if the book was good and worth reading.

It's not the greatest book I've ever read, but it's a reasonably enjoyable read. Worth it if you can find it cheaply or in a library.

I don't mean to be a nuisance, but doesn't all this discussion of the plot belong in the "Culture&Multimedia" forum?

Has the PotC minisite on LEGO.com disappeared? I can't find it...

Though I can't seem to find the link on the website, I happen to have it bookmarked, so here's the Link! It's being updated every couple of days with new minifigs, so keep checking to see thier Bios and new images.

Yes, the plot. Well the first movie was pretty decent, the second was ok and the third was a complete mess. That's not just my opinion either, if you look online you will see that the majority of movie goers will agree with that. As far a plots go, those films wouldn't win any awards. If you took Depp and Rush out the first film you would be stuck with the extremely bad acting of Orlando and Kiera which was cringe worthy. Then what was up with that whole Calypso thing? They built it up, only for her to turn into a bunch of crabs then go back into the sea. Big letdown. Still, the films were enjoyable even tho they weren't great and thanks to the them we now have a cool Lego theme.

I'm not so sure that this is a completely fair criticism. If you look at the plots, Dead Man's Chest was really about having everyone's motivation point towards the chest. Every scene in the movie is to set up those characters to want the chest so that the finale can play out the way it does. It's a character piece, not a plot piece. At World's End is a mess because it's about 15 or 20 minutes shorter than it should be. That movie got totally butchered in editing. The finished film only really touches on the story points, as it races from one thing going on to the next, trying to weave all the different stories together, but it doesn't really work because there's not enough there, and things just get abandoned halfway through. They also didn't really have time to react to the audience's reaction to the complex storytelling in DMC. I've long been a reader of Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio's website (the screenwriters), and those guys simply know TOO MUCH about storytelling to produce a jumbled mess like that.

As far as the series overall goes, the plots and character motivations may be SIMPLE, but that doesn't make them BAD. I really hope (and it really seems, when reading interviews, etc.) that the powers that be learned from AWE what will and won't work in terms of plots and complex story lines and structure. It looks like On Stranger Tides will be a lot more streamlined than the previous sequels, and a lot more like the first film.

Sorry for the semi-off-topic-ness of this post. On topic, today's minifig: The Gunner Zombie? Man, is that a terrible name or what?

Sorry for the semi-off-topic-ness of this post. On topic, today's minifig: The Gunner Zombie? Man, is that a terrible name or what?

Appreciate if all could stick to the discussion of POTC from the LEGO sets perspective instead of focusing too much of the previous or upcoming movie content.

For discussion of the movie itself, there is an existing topic for it where it can be discussed.

Thanks.

WhiteFang

I'm not so sure that this is a completely fair criticism. If you look at the plots, Dead Man's Chest was really about having everyone's motivation point towards the chest. Every scene in the movie is to set up those characters to want the chest so that the finale can play out the way it does. It's a character piece, not a plot piece. At World's End is a mess because it's about 15 or 20 minutes shorter than it should be. That movie got totally butchered in editing. The finished film only really touches on the story points, as it races from one thing going on to the next, trying to weave all the different stories together, but it doesn't really work because there's not enough there, and things just get abandoned halfway through. They also didn't really have time to react to the audience's reaction to the complex storytelling in DMC. I've long been a reader of Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio's website (the screenwriters), and those guys simply know TOO MUCH about storytelling to produce a jumbled mess like that.

As far as the series overall goes, the plots and character motivations may be SIMPLE, but that doesn't make them BAD. I really hope (and it really seems, when reading interviews, etc.) that the powers that be learned from AWE what will and won't work in terms of plots and complex story lines and structure. It looks like On Stranger Tides will be a lot more streamlined than the previous sequels, and a lot more like the first film.

Don't get me wrong, I love POTC and do enjoy the films. Im just a bit of a movie critic and like to pick holes :pir-classic:

Appreciate if all could stick to the discussion of POTC from the LEGO sets perspective instead of focusing too much of the previous or upcoming movie content.

For discussion of the movie itself, there is an existing topic for it where it can be discussed.

Thanks.

WhiteFang

Sorry, my bad for going off topic. As for the sets, some people have said they are being released in may, yet Lego store staff are saying mid april. Does this mean the Lego stores will be selling them in April and everywhere else wont get them till may? Anyone know the exact release dates?

I recall seeing somewhere that Amazon would have them on May... 11th maybe? I can't remember that exact date, but it was something close to that.

I would imagine that we will start seeing some at TRU even by the end of April.

Its just one of those things were LEGO themselves say May, whereas store managers say April, because either they get the stock in April and don't sell it, OR they get the stock and start selling it a month before release date so people go to their store more.

:jollyroger:

Its just one of those things were LEGO themselves say May, whereas store managers say April, because either they get the stock in April and don't sell it, OR they get the stock and start selling it a month before release date so people go to their store more.

Is this something they're allowed to do? I know that with Star Wars stuff, they have to wait until the day Lucasfilm says before they can release it; it's like that with video games too. It's curious that Disney wouldn't give them a "do not sell before" date, especially with one of their bigger franchises.

I, however, hope they DO come out in April, because I'm impatient.

Of course its allowed (I think), it gives LEGO more monehs, the store more monehs and us an early release of the POTC sets.

Of course if its not allowed then that is a good argument for why it should be allowed, I wouldn't however e surprised if they came out a month early.

Though I can't seem to find the link on the website, I happen to have it bookmarked, so here's the Link! It's being updated every couple of days with new minifigs, so keep checking to see thier Bios and new images.

Thanks! I can't find it on the "products" page, and there's no links to it anywhere else on the site. I wonder why it's not there?

For those interested, Barnes & Noble in the USA (probably Canada too) is taking preorders on the sets, with a 10% discount. This is probably the only discount these sets will see for some time, especially while the movie is still in theaters, wouldn't you agree?

If you do order from B&N, note that I have tried like 3 coupon codes, and none of them seem to work, probably because it's a preorder so coupons don't apply. AAA also has a 10% discount if you go through their portal (www.aaa.com/barnesandnoble), but I'm not sure if that works either. B&N also has a kid's club card where you earn points or something, I think every 100 bucks you get 5 back. Also they do charge tax since they have stores in every state. Whew!

Anyway there you go. Just thought I'd share the deal(s).

When is the film released, as maybe they arn't allowed to release the sets before the film. But saying that, it would make more sense to release the sets a week before the film so they are already in full swing for when the fever for POTC toys kick in.

For those interested, Barnes & Noble in the USA (probably Canada too) is taking preorders on the sets, with a 10% discount. This is probably the only discount these sets will see for some time, especially while the movie is still in theaters, wouldn't you agree?

If you do order from B&N, note that I have tried like 3 coupon codes, and none of them seem to work, probably because it's a preorder so coupons don't apply. AAA also has a 10% discount if you go through their portal (www.aaa.com/barnesandnoble), but I'm not sure if that works either. B&N also has a kid's club card where you earn points or something, I think every 100 bucks you get 5 back. Also they do charge tax since they have stores in every state. Whew!

Anyway there you go. Just thought I'd share the deal(s).

I preordered Queen Anne's Revenge and The Mill a few days ago from Barnes and Noble. I'm Canadian and from my past experiences, I have not been charged with any sort of duty. I can't remember the reason why (either they ship from within Canada or some other thing) they don't but just be thankful they don't charge customs and all that stuff.

Also used my Groupon that was "$10 for $20 worth". Too bad I forgot to use Great Canadian Rebates to get some cashback (4.2% cashback too)....Sigh, oh well.

Also used my Groupon that was "$10 for $20 worth". Too bad I forgot to use Great Canadian Rebates to get some cashback (4.2% cashback too)....Sigh, oh well.

Great what? You Canadians are wacky. I'm in the US and the way sales tax here works is that if the company has a physical presence in your state, you must pay sales tax. There are B&N stores all around here, so I have to pay sales tax. I guess that kind of negates their 10% off, come to think of it. Oh well.

I also have that Groupon that I will use. And I got a $100 gift card using some credit card points.

I just went to my local wal*mart store here in the U.S and on the action figure aile they had the POTC action figures. Last year the POP sets came out at the end of March at the Lego store by my house. The store calender showed them releasing mid April? The Prince of Persia movie came out in May as well. I wouldn't be suprise to start seeing the potc sets soon, so keep a weathered eye on the horizon.

I just went to my local wal*mart store here in the U.S and on the action figure aile they had the POTC action figures. Last year the POP sets came out at the end of March at the Lego store by my house. The store calender showed them releasing mid April? The Prince of Persia movie came out in May as well. I wouldn't be suprise to start seeing the potc sets soon, so keep a weathered eye on the horizon.

Completely what I am thinking

Completely what I am thinking

The people getting them first, should share pictures here! Especialy of the minifigures back and front and all faces with and without hats and hair. :pir-sweet:

Great what? You Canadians are wacky. I'm in the US and the way sales tax here works is that if the company has a physical presence in your state, you must pay sales tax. There are B&N stores all around here, so I have to pay sales tax. I guess that kind of negates their 10% off, come to think of it. Oh well.

I also have that Groupon that I will use. And I got a $100 gift card using some credit card points.

It's some sort of site where you can get a bit of a rebate if you buy online through one of their links or something. So let's so with B&N, I log into my account first with that Great Canadian Rebates site, click their link for B&N, then it just links me back to the regular B&N site, then I make my purchase. Not entirely sure how it works but it is legit.

If only Barnes & Noble had the modular houses, or any of the bigger sets or just a bigger Lego section in general. They sell at the US MSRP and even though I have to pay for shipping for Canada, they never charge for customs/duty. Can't remember the reason why but I think it's because they ship from within the province of Ontario in Canada.

Edited by Canada_7

If only Barnes & Noble had the modular houses, or any of the bigger sets or just a bigger Lego section in general. They sell at the US MSRP and even though I have to pay for shipping for Canada, they never charge for customs/duty. Can't remember the reason why but I think it's because they ship from within the province of Ontario in Canada.

Quick question, but how much is shipping from B&N?

Time to get back on topic: If you pre-order the videogame at GameStop, you get this neat wooden-looking Jack Sparrow minifig! :pir-sweet: I'm guessing this is what the printed trophy in the QAR set is supposed to represent.

LEGO_Pirates_Caribbean_bonusLG.jpg

Quick question, but how much is shipping from B&N?

For this specific order, it was $8.97 shipping, $7.20 tax. It's a preorder so I haven't been charged yet. The Canadian dollar is actually above the US dollar right now...I hope when the order actually ships this will still be the case.

They look good. I especially like the one with Blackbeard. The burning fuses look good and so do the ships in the background.

One of themm looks quite similar to HMS Surprise. And I see a burning QAR...will it really be destroyed?

Time to get back on topic: If you pre-order the videogame at GameStop, you get this neat wooden-looking Jack Sparrow minifig! :pir-sweet: I'm guessing this is what the printed trophy in the QAR set is supposed to represent.

LEGO_Pirates_Caribbean_bonusLG.jpg

Hope this is going to avaliable in europe. Looks neat.