Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Yeah I was right. It was priced exactly as BB in Singapore.

Yeah I thought as much. Everyone seems to be expecting a large detailed BP but its not gonna happen yet. Lego will not put out a large expensive BP out while it still has the Imperial Flagship and the QAR. Like I said, expect the Pearl to be similar to Brickbeards Bounty, but better I hope.

Well that's a bit of a letdown.

But then again it's another $150+ that I don't have to spend.

Yeah I thought as much. Everyone seems to be expecting a large detailed BP but its not gonna happen yet. Lego will not put out a large expensive BP out while it still has the Imperial Flagship and the QAR. Like I said, expect the Pearl to be similar to Brickbeards Bounty, but better I hope.

I hope "the Flying Dutchman" with Davy Jones will be the big detailed ship in this collection. (We can wait for 2012)

As a dyed-in-the-wool Pirate fan, I have to admit that I'm a little distressed whenever someone mentions modding Pirate stuff to fit Castle. Aren't tropical seas adventures way cooler? :pir-grin::pir-wink:

TC

Kinda wished the BP would have been bigger, like the recent imperial flagship. That said it clocks in at 804 pieces and even the BSB was only 865 pieces. So it could still turn out to be a very fine ship. :jollyroger:

As a dyed-in-the-wool Pirate fan, I have to admit that I'm a little distressed whenever someone mentions modding Pirate stuff to fit Castle. Aren't tropical seas adventures way cooler? :pir-grin::pir-wink:

TC

I love Pirates almost as much as I love Castle, but only almost... and since I don't really have enough cash to collect both, my focus is on Castle. I do buy some of the smaller Pirate sets from time to time, though.

I'm a little disappointed that the Black Pearl is going to be a smaller set than the QAR, but at that price I can afford a couple to make a really nice one, where at a higher price point I may not be able to. I don't see DAvy Jones coming with it, since he spends about 30 seconds on the Pearl in both Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. What's more likely is that the Dead Man's Chest reference means that the ship is NOT the cursed version, will not have Barbossa, and MAY come with some Kraken tentacles or battle damage play features or something like that.

As I see more pictures, I really only have one real annoyance with anything in this line: Jack's enormous hat. If the hat and hairpiece are all one, why is that hat as giant as it is? I understood it when I thought that it fit over the hairpiece, but now I just think it's too big.

Has anyone seen the back of the "hatless" Jack hairpiece or the Will/Gibbs hairpiece? It looked in one of the prelims like it might have a little ponytail. I also wonder if I can get one of those baldrics under Jack's hair.

Edited by punkkid364

Looks like the slit in the baldrics are big enough to fit a Castle broadsword or great sword.

:thumbup:

I too would like to know if any of the new hair pieces include a ponytail.

Heres hoping we either get Kraken arms or Davey Jones within the BP set, even if it is smaller at least it may have a door instead of a gaping hole into the cabin.

:jollyroger:

I hope "the Flying Dutchman" with Davy Jones will be the big detailed ship in this collection. (We can wait for 2012)

That sounds good, the Dutchman would be a great choice for a large set as its got so much character and scope for detail.

Kinda wished the BP would have been bigger, like the recent imperial flagship. That said it clocks in at 804 pieces and even the BSB was only 865 pieces. So it could still turn out to be a very fine ship. :jollyroger:

Thats true, and its odd that both the Imperial Flagship and QAR have a higher piece count then the BSB but the BSB still looks better and is built better. If they went with a similar design to the BSB for the Pearl then it could be a great set. But Lego seem to be really going for the 'open playability' look, like QAR cabin. So im doubting the Black Pearl will have a deck. We're just have to wait and see.

Black Pearl

Please take look this picture.

Now it's very clear that a "smaller" ship, the famous Black Pearl, would be released in the future

(99.99 USD, the same as 6243)

When I saw QAR and think about the Black Pearl's price, even less than 900 pieces of bricks.

I think the best we could expect would be as good as 6285, nothing more.

After seeing this picture, there is no question about if we will get a bigger and better ship for the Black Pearl,

unless LEGO design a whole new ship just like 10210. But just forget this for now..it's only an illusion (sad)...

I'm just excited that we're getting a ship with right around 200 pieces more than the Brickbeard's Bounty at the same price point. (Er, in the US at least...) Heck, just getting two big pirate ships in one year is pretty fantastic. I'd hoped that the Black Pearl would be the same size as the QAR, but it stands to reason that if the line is successful, they'll make another Black Pearl in two years. I think by releasing the "Jack Sparrow" version first, they're helping to build demand for a bigger, badder version of the more iconic cursed Black Pearl from the first movie. It's a smart way to extend the series. You just cannot lose with this line. :pir-grin:

I love Pirates almost as much as I love Castle, but only almost... and since I don't really have enough cash to collect both, my focus is on Castle. I do buy some of the smaller Pirate sets from time to time, though.

I have a soft spot for Castle too. (I miss my Wolfpack sets!) That said, I love Pirates more than anything else, and I've also found that I can really only focus on one theme. (Cash aside, there's display room to think about!) And I just might be able to get all the Pirates/Pirates of the Caribbean sets, but there's no way I could track down every Castle set...they've been making those since before I was born! :)

TC

Strangely, as excited as I was for the QAR upon seeing the earliest images of it online, now that I've had the opportunity to examine the interior (or lack thereof) as well as the plain/bare deck, I'm almost completely against a purchase now. (Or at least, the $120 price no longer seems as reasonable as it once did, and I may well wait for a sale.)

Personaly, I don't realy care how many pieces that it has. As long as it has the hull pieces and the sails I'm good because neat pieces like the ships wheel or bottles could change the look of somebodies MOC, some times it's the little things that can make a big difference. Anyway the point being is I would buy it just by it for the accessories.

You guys better hope there is no kraken in the BP set, if there is that's less pieces for the ship, which will just make it crappier....

How about some faith there? I'm sure that, based on the rest of the line, the Black Pearl will not disappoint. And if it does, well, there are over 4000 parts available in black so we can mod to our hearts' content.

Cap'n Jack put it best when he said of the Black Pearl: "Granted, it tends to list to port, and has been on occasion known to frighten young women. But I promise you, you will not be disappointed."

Edited by punkkid364

Yeah...the QAR is a bit of a letdown with its non-existent deck and open cabin, but, as someone who's not at all interested in the PoTC movies, I was planning on MOD'ing everything anyway.

What really bugs me is the fact that almost all minifigs have part of their chest showing! I understand the Caribbean is hot and it looks more natural that way, but it would have been truly nice if LEGO had made these torsos more compatible with classic yellow minifigs. :pir-hmpf_bad:

The first reliable info about the Pearl are announced...

November 2011 and 804 pieces.

Based on the "Dead man's chest" movie.

(over 200 pieces more than Brickbeard's ship) So guys, don't be disappointed, it will be a great ship.

Here comes the speculation. How many minifigs are going to be included? And keeping the fact that it's based on the "Dead Man's Chest" movie I hope the following are included:

Most likely

Captain Jack Sparrow

Joshamee Gibbs

Elizabeth Swann

I hope for

Cotton (with his parrot)

Marty (the short guy)

Pintel (wooden eye)

Ragetti (ugly, bare bellied)

Just wondering what your ideas are...

Have you ever seen Hagrid without the coat? That will explain the large bones :pir_laugh2:

LOL, They must have killed his entire family to get all those bones.

Very Good!

The first reliable info about the Pearl are announced...

November 2011 and 804 pieces.

Based on the "Dead man's chest" movie.

(over 200 pieces more than Brickbeard's ship) So guys, don't be disappointed, it will be a great ship.

Here comes the speculation. How many minifigs are going to be included? And keeping the fact that it's based on the "Dead Man's Chest" movie I hope the following are included:

Most likely

Captain Jack Sparrow

Joshamee Gibbs

Elizabeth Swann

I hope for

Cotton (with his parrot)

Marty (the short guy)

Pintel (wooden eye)

Ragetti (ugly, bare bellied)

Just wondering what your ideas are...

I bet, seeing as how it's based on DMC, that we'll get the scruffy Norrington from the Mill set instead of Marty or Cotton. If Pintel and Ragetti are going to be in a set, it's got to be this one. Wooden eye FTW. Also, you've got them backwards. Ragetti has the wooden eye and Pintel is the "belligerent homunculus."

Edited by punkkid364

I was really looking forward to the ship, but looking at the close ups I really feel let down. I cannot see a platform, the deck is tiny. Looks like the ship was put in a vice and tightened :pir_bawling:

You probably didn't read my post at the Star Wars one. We already have a ton of pics, and although these are new ones, they still go in the PoTC main topic.

You probably didn't read my post at the Star Wars one. We already have a ton of pics, and although these are new ones, they still go in the PoTC main topic.

whoops. No I didnt see it. Can the mods put this where it belongs?