Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Interesting real life history is that Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge sank long before his death and he died 1718- Potc however seems to take place 1740s- after golden Age of Piracy- and now when new movie supposedly even shows us kings of Spain and England from that era (Ferdinand and George II) it's even more clear that Blackbeard should be dead and QAR sank- but remember Potc- dead are carried to the other world by Davy Jones and he didn't do his duty- meaning that both Blackbeard and his ship were in Davy Jones' locker.... it seems that guy managed to escape like Barbossa and Sparrow did or he made a deal with Jones or something... so this QAR is not normal ship anymore :jollyroger:

Not quite sure how they're planning to work Blackbeard in, but it's worth noting the the book "On Stranger Tides" has Blackbeard survive his historical death, albeit in a manner that doesn't leave him looking like Blackbeard. We'll have to see, though, since what little I know of this movie's plot doesn't seem to resemble the novel in the slightest. I'd be willing to bet that they just bought the rights because their film involved Blackbeard and the fountain of youth and they didn't want a potential lawsuit. Using the novel's name would be just an afterthought in this scenario...

TC

I'd say lego might make this because they are known for there small sets

Edited by lt.Gonville brickhead
Could you resize that image to 640 x 480 please? At the current size, it might take a long time to load for some people.

Here's the trailer again, deeplinked, and with an introduction by Captain Jack himself! :pir-grin:

It certainly got me excited. :pir-sweet:

Come on the trailer is out now lets see some pics!!

I believe someone said quite a few pages back that pictures would be coming out with the release of the trailer at the premiere of the movie, "Tron: LEGACY", which comes out this Friday.

I don't know if this is true nor should you quote me on it (yet), I'll try and find out where this was stated or if I was mistaken.

I believe someone said quite a few pages back that pictures would be coming out with the release of the trailer at the premiere of the movie, "Tron: LEGACY", which comes out this Friday.

I don't know if this is true nor should you quote me on it (yet), I'll try and find out where this was stated or if I was mistaken.

I think this might be a case of Chinese Whispers... someone said the earliest they could release the images was when the trailer is released, and this has been misinterpreted as when they will release pictures.

The trailer still gives us plenty to discuss, like the horse and carriage scene, for instance - London Escape?

Yes, Yes, I said we should see some pictures around when the trailer comes out. My boss(manager at Lego store) already got our calendar of when we get the sets. It says May, but Lego usually gets them on shelves a month before movie. Going by that Lego usually gets them in our stock room Months before they go on shelves.

Why bother with teasers, when the official trailer's already out?

Have you guys seen the set list I posted a page back, or has it been posted before?

Have you guys seen the set list I posted a page back, or has it been posted before?

It's been posted before, but it's nice that you posted it on a more recent page rather than having to fish out a set lest on one of the other 40 pages. :pir-classic:

In regards to the set list, I'm really looking forward to the cannibal related set. Bone cage? Oh joy! :pir-cry_happy:

Trailer looks good... but they're messing up with the flag of Great Britain.... Union Jack was historically correct in previous trilogy but now that St. Patrick's cross seems to be added there :pir_mad:- really it wasn't there before 1801.... still even more odd is that it seems to be also continuity error because on-set photos had old union jacks without St. Patrick's cross......well who cares if movie is good....?

Ok- interesting question concerns about mermaids... are we really going to see topless ladies in disneymovie :pir-grin: i am not seeing any bras there :pir-laugh: aaaannndd what about those rumoured mermaidfigures- are they movie accurate too :imperialguard_commander1: .... makes some interesting torsos then :shark:

Has this image been seen yet?

potcfigs.jpg

Apparently, they are figures from the theme.

EDIT: Nevermind, they are fake.

Edited by Chewk

I dunno, I enjoy PoC...

BUT

Remember how LEGO is supposed to be an imaginative toy? Create your own adventure?

One thing that I really like as a collector of classic Pirate sets is that they gave you a box with a paragraph or 2 of the set's premise. Then it was up to you as a kid to fill in the rest of the story. They gave us Gov. Broadside, Captain Redbeard, forts and ships; the rest was for us to figure out.

I mean you can add to the PoC story, but it's a little less imaginative than the original LEGO theme.

Plus didn't MegaBlok have the license agreement? Doesn't seem like they would be happy about this. Not a MegaBlok person, so why would I care? hahaha

Plus didn't MegaBlok have the license agreement? Doesn't seem like they would be happy about this. Not a MegaBlok person, so why would I care? hahaha

I'm willing they lost the license a while ago. If there wasn't, we wouldn't be hearing about a new theme, we'd be hearing about a massive lawsuit. :pir_laugh2:

I'm willing they lost the license a while ago. If there wasn't, we wouldn't be hearing about a new theme, we'd be hearing about a massive lawsuit. :pir_laugh2:

That is correct. :pir-classic: Because LEGO now has the Disney license, it can now produce POTC sets.

Trailer looks good... but they're messing up with the flag of Great Britain.... Union Jack was historically correct in previous trilogy but now that St. Patrick's cross seems to be added there :pir_mad:- really it wasn't there before 1801.... still even more odd is that it seems to be also continuity error because on-set photos had old union jacks without St. Patrick's cross......well who cares if movie is good....?

Ok- interesting question concerns about mermaids... are we really going to see topless ladies in disneymovie :pir-grin: i am not seeing any bras there :pir-laugh: aaaannndd what about those rumoured mermaidfigures- are they movie accurate too :imperialguard_commander1: .... makes some interesting torsos then :shark:

its a fantasy movie, pirates of the caribbean isn't really the place to get your historical information from. Do you really think we will see topless ladies in a disney movie? no? well there is your answer.

As for myself, I hate Pirates of the Caribbean... and I love LEGO Pirates. This puts me in an interesting situation, don't you think? :pir-sceptic:

I'm in a similar situation. Although I don't hate Pirates of the Caribbean, I just don't care about them. I saw the first part, didn't like it, didn't feel the need to see the rest, not gonna see On Stranger Tides or whatever it's called either, that's all.

But... I'm happy with the new theme, as it will provide us with some new pirate-related elements, designs and so on. As far as I'm concerned, PotC license is worse than classic pirates, but it's better than no pirates at all, so I can take what they are giving us and make the best of it. :pir-classic:

I dunno, I enjoy PoC...

BUT

Remember how LEGO is supposed to be an imaginative toy? Create your own adventure?

One thing that I really like as a collector of classic Pirate sets is that they gave you a box with a paragraph or 2 of the set's premise. Then it was up to you as a kid to fill in the rest of the story. They gave us Gov. Broadside, Captain Redbeard, forts and ships; the rest was for us to figure out.

I mean you can add to the PoC story, but it's a little less imaginative than the original LEGO theme.

That's the problem with every licensed theme. However, you can expand each of them however you want and to whatever degree you want, so no problem there. Or you can just use the elements to build MOCs completely not related to the PotC franchise (that's what I'm gonna do anyway), in which case it's not so different from any other non-licensed theme (except maybe the fleshie minifigs, which I'm not a big fan of but I've accepted them).

its a fantasy movie, pirates of the caribbean isn't really the place to get your historical information from. Do you really think we will see topless ladies in a disney movie? no? well there is your answer.

But that error was easy to avoid- other Potc's had 1700s union jack... and it seems that we indeed see topless ladies in disney movie- but not very closely :pir_laugh2:

I dunno, I enjoy PoC...

BUT

Nope- kid can invent new adventures for Captain Jack Sparrow or use parts to create own characters and stories- legos are so good in that way :pir_laugh2:

Disney has a way of having the ladies topless but you never get to see anything due to a carefully positioned rock or some water. We won't see anything. :pirate_sad2:

The zombies in the trailer(Link)don't look like armada soldiers :pir-cry_sad:

problably just a normal black skeleton

What about those smaller skeletons will we see a new mold :pir-sceptic:

If so I can't wait to see :pir-sweet:

Edited by lt.Gonville brickhead

What about those smaller skeletons will we see a new mold :pir-sceptic:

I highly doubt that, the smaller skeletons are easily omitted from the figurehead and it can still remain more or less recognisable.

Disney has a way of having the ladies topless but you never get to see anything due to a carefully positioned rock or some water. We won't see anything. :pirate_sad2:

yeah i know, i was replying to a guy that asked if we would see topless women in a disney movie.