Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Pixar I mean Disney really don't care about historical accuracy, do they? :pir_mad:

Lord Embo

Edited by Lord Embo

Pixar really don't care about historical accuracy, do they? :pir_mad:

Lord Embo

It's not pixar that makes the potc movies, its disney/ Jerry brockheimer :pir-classic:

Personaly i like the design they got for the ship better than the more real one, pirates of the caribbean is very much a fantasy series, mermaids, zombies and fish people

I understand people vanting more realistic models though.

Pirates of the Caribbean drinking game: you take a small sip of rum every time they show something that is historically or nautically inaccurate, or every time there is a completely ludicrous plot twist. Even a veteran drinker should be on the floor long before the first movie ends, and dead from alcohol poisoning by the end of the series.

I have to admit it's kind of crazy that Disney really expect no one will notice that the QAR IS the Black Pearl.

A damn, I have some bad news. I just saw a picture of the Queen Anne's Revenge from POTC 4. It looks like this:

No, this is what it should look like:

Well, actually that second picture is HMS Temeraire (see here) But indeed, in the movie it doesn't look very realistic..It should look more like this.

Still, there are some very nice ships in the movie (Endeavour, Dauntless, Interceptor), and if they make one of those as well, I'll be happy :pir-classic:

I just read that Disney are "quietly telling cast and crew members of Pirates to keep their schedules free" because they plan to go ahead with POTC 5 and 6, so this theme could potentially be running for a very long time - long enough for us to get every ship and scene we've been wanting from the first three movies.

oh man, this is really bad news for any lover of the real lego pirates

I agree with that. I personally am not a "real" Lego Pirates lover(as you put it) but am glad that we are getting PotC in its place. It is good that they decided to give the old Pirates theme a rest for a while. When this theme finishes though, whether we get old Pirates back or not is very difficult to tell at this point. However, it isn't very likely that this will be the case.

Lord Embo

I tend to agree, although I think POTC will be fun too. I really think if TLG keeps this license for long it will effectively kill the yellow pirates. I hate this because I just "came out of my Dark Ages" and pretty much completely missed LEGO Pirates. (I have one Kraken Attackin' set on order, and would like to be able to get Brickbeard's Bounty soon, but I'd predict that will be as far as I ever get in collecting classic Pirates. It's a money issue.

On the other hand, I dig the POTC franchise as a reliable soure of cheesy pirate cliches and fun adventure, and I bet we'll see some good LEGO sets come from this. People will just have to adjust to fleshies and slightly higher prices. The dedicated Pirates community will probably continue to use the official sets as mere parts packs for superior MOCs anyway, so it won't change much for them in the long term.

I'm just going to continue my Classic Pirates with anything that fits in. The collectible minifig range is going to throw up usable figures occasionally, like the Island Girl and the Musketeer, and I'm sure eventually they'll have additional pirates and bluecoats and stuff like that. POTC is hopefully going to introduce some interesting parts, and depending how good the sets are, I might buy the sets but remove the Fleshies to add the ships and locations to my theme. And if I feel like it, I can swap out the Classic pirates for the Fleshies occasionally.

I would have preferred the Classic Pirates to continue, but I'm going to make the most of POTC.

A damn, I have some bad news. I just saw a picture of the Queen Anne's Revenge from POTC 4. It looks like this:

pirates-4-shoots-on-queen-annes-revenge-420-75.jpg

No, this is what it should look like:

queen-annes-revenge1.jpg

Which means that we'll get yet another LEGO ship with really messed up proportions that looks totally unrealistic. If you're not convinced, remember this?

Actually, looking at that picture of the QAR, it kind of reminds me of the shape of the Skulls Eye Schooner. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a set similar to that, and it better have some nice gold parts for the stern as its pretty expensive!

Before anyone gets too upset about historical inaccuracies in Pirates of the Caribbean, we should remember that LEGO Pirates has always been a fantasy-like historical mashup. In the LEGO Pirate world, early 18th century pirates mix with 16-17th century conquistadors, late 18th century soldiers of undefined allegiance, and south seas-ish Islanders. Pirates of the Caribbean is similar in that it draws from an entire century of piratical fact and fiction; Blackbeard perished in the early 18th century, while the skull-and-bones brand of piracy had died out entirely by the time the British Navy even remotely resembled the institution we see in the film. The Lady Washington, used extensively in the first film, is modeled after a ship built in the 1780's--about sixty years after Pirates of the Caribbean is ostensibly set! Imagine the difference in car models between 1920 and 1980--it's just as absurd.

The entire pirate genre has nearly always mixed fantasy with historical fact--this is a tradition that goes back to Stevenson, but even Johnson's History of the Pirates contains measures of outright fiction. LEGO has traditionally not had a problem with this mix...the first wave of Pirates appeared to have been inspired by the great Pirate films from the 40's and 50's more than anything else. Later in the line some of the best sets were obviously not realistic: take the gigantic skulls in the Skull and Volcano Islands, for example.

Personally, I didn't really have time to get used to the minifigure revival of the Pirate theme before it became obvious that a Pirates of the Caribbean line was in the works, so while I was overjoyed to see its return, I can't really mourn its loss. I'm fairly confident that the Pirate line will return after POTC has run its course, although I'll be more than happy to wait it out a few years if the sets are good. I'm excited at finally being able to collect all the sets in a Pirate theme...

TC

I think the QAR will be really cool actually, afterall it is estimated to be £110, knowing licensed themes that means it is worth around £90-95. That means it is no Durmstrang Ship right? After all, who doesn't want a LEGO pirate ship populated with pirates and a Blackbeard minifigure? :jollyroger:

I have to admit it's kind of crazy that Disney really expect no one will notice that the QAR IS the Black Pearl.

Not sure what you're getting at there, the Black Pearl is a fictional ship while the Queen Anne's Revenge was a real ship.

Well, actually that second picture is HMS Temeraire (see here) But indeed, in the movie it doesn't look very realistic..It should look more like this.

Yes, indeed it is. I goofed up and copied the wrong URL while I was looking at pictures of lots of ships. The image I intended to link to was this one. But thanks for pointing out my mistake. :pir-classic:

Still, there are some very nice ships in the movie (Endeavour, Dauntless, Interceptor), and if they make one of those as well, I'll be happy :pir-classic:

True, but I'm doubting we'll see a first rate ship like the Endeavour or the Dauntless. Still, I agree that the Interceptor would make for a pretty damn awesome set!

Actually, looking at that picture of the QAR, it kind of reminds me of the shape of the Skulls Eye Schooner. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a set similar to that, and it better have some nice gold parts for the stern as its pretty expensive!

Sure it's pretty expensive, but not as much as the SES was. And with inflation and all the rest of it, I seriously doubt we'll have a set even close to as cool.

I think the QAR will be really cool actually, afterall it is estimated to be £110, knowing licensed themes that means it is worth around £90-95. That means it is no Durmstrang Ship right? After all, who doesn't want a LEGO pirate ship populated with pirates and a Blackbeard minifigure? :jollyroger:

If it looks like it does in the movie, me. Remember, £90-95 isn't really that much when we're talking LEGO sets the sizes of ships. While I agree it will probably be significantly better than the Durmstrang Ship (hell, this set is better than the Durmstrang Ship), I don't see it being anything as great as the BSB or SES.

Well, I must say it seems that a lot of people's perception of a pirate ship is a little exaggerated... Pirates, for the most part used sloops and brigs if they were lucky( I'm sure everyone on here knows that). I do not know anyone more excited to see the movie and get the sets more than I, but as amazing as the QAR is, in the movie pictures it is still not an accurate perception of the historical one. Neither is the Black Pearl as much as I want a Lego version of it, it is still not an accurate ship. It seems to be a hybrid of a galleon and a frigate.

Not sure what you're getting at there, the Black Pearl is a fictional ship while the Queen Anne's Revenge was a real ship.

Simple: the actual ship that portrays the Black Pearl in the second and third movies is a ship called the Sunset. The ship that portrays the QAR in "On Stranger Tides" is... also the Sunset. And it's pretty obvious when you look at pictures of both of the movie ships. They didn't change very much of the structure.

Sunset

the only real ship they used in the movies was the interceptor a.k.a. lady washington of prot angeles, w.a., a replica of one of the first ships to hit the pacific northwest, the rest are just models, as far as i'm informed

the only real ship they used in the movies was the interceptor a.k.a. lady washington of prot angeles, w.a., a replica of one of the first ships to hit the pacific northwest, the rest are just models, as far as i'm informed

they did make full scale "models" of the black pearl and the flying deutchman for the 2. and 3. movie.

they did make full scale "models" of the black pearl and the flying deutchman for the 2. and 3. movie.

I'm glad you included "models" in quotations, as thats pretty much what they are, being as their are completely wrong as far as proportions go. :pirate_sad2:

Still. never having bought a large Ship set, I'll be saving my money up for the QAR, as well as any other ships that might be sailing into S@H. :pir-classic:

I guess it depends on your definition of a model vs. a real ship. In the first movie, I can't argue: they used miniatures, a soundstage, and a dressed-up barge to play the Black Pearl. For the second and third movies it was decided that they needed a much more maneuverable ship to be the Pearl, so they built one.

The Sunset is an actual ship, a 109-foot powered vessel built in Alabama. It's not an authentic tall ship, and as far as I can tell its rigging is purely stage dressing - as opposed to the Lady Washington which actually is a close replica of a historical tall ship - but it is indeed an ocean-going ship, which was outfitted as the Black Pearl and is now outfitted as the QAR. I suppose you could call it a "full-scale model", but in my opinion any vessel that can sail from California to Hawaii under its own power deserves to be called a ship.

Is it a realistic, sail-powered pirate ship? Of course not. It's Disney's version of a pirate ship. It's ridiculous, like everything else in this franchise. But it's certainly not less realistic than your average LEGO ship.

Article on the Sunset docking in Hawaii this February (Watch the video, it shows the Sunset/Pearl at sea).

Article on creating the Black Pearl

Which means that we'll get yet another LEGO ship with really messed up proportions that looks totally unrealistic. If you're not convinced, remember this?

You couldn't have put it better. :pir_laugh2: Also, I'm hoping for some good "standard-issue" minifigs. Actually, anything that'll bring new flesh faces and cool sets is great with me. I say bring on the ships! If we don't like 'em, we can just burn them to the ocean floor! Hurrah! :pir-grin:

-Santhor

Edited by Santhor

Neat. Thanks for the pic! Where is it from? A catalog?

Let's hope Jack really has that double face (although I was secretly hoping for a funny scared face). :thumbup:

Oh, and in defense of the Durmstrang ship, it's a fantasy vessel propelled by magic, so it doesn't need to have realistic proportions. Plus, you gotta love the color scheme. However, I can't deny that the size, lack of minifigs, and use of the 4+ Pirates hull makes it a pretty bad set. But please, no more bashing of this classic HP set - It's HP Month after all! :pir-grin:

What an amazing picture to get us excited for 2011! It seems that Jack will not only have a double-sided head, but also that some versions have the hair moulded onto the hat, whereas others have the hair moulded onto the bandana. Roll on PotC and May 2011!

Lord Embo

Edited by Lord Embo

At least we know the pistols will remain unchanged... :pir_laugh2:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

...soon!

At least we know the pistols will remain unchanged... :pir_laugh2:

True. But I don't like the old pistols myself and think that TLG should change the classic pistols for newer ones in a different colour such as black. Grey just doesn't work with the pistols.

Lord Embo

That Jack Sparrow fig looks really great, with all those neat hair details and torso/leg prints. I hope it's a good sign of better things to expect in this new PoTC line. Thanks again LT for sharing this scanned image photo! pirate_thumbup.gif

EDIt: Sorry, it was photographed, not scanned according to LT.

Edited by KielDaMan