Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

It makes sense to tie in with the new movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I guess Megabloks' license of PotC only covered the first 3 movies. That, or I completely misunderstand how licensing works. :pir_wacko::pir-tongue:

That's one possibility; another is that their license has simply expired. Remember, MegaBloks also had the license for Cars, but LEGO has it now, and so far there's just a single feature film in that franchise (plus shorts, but those aren't specifically the basis for most of the sets from either company anyway).

Maybe they'll do what they did with Indy and release sets for the new movie first, then sets for the original 3? A possibility. :pir-classic:

Actually, the first wave of Indiana Jones sets covered scenes from the original movies, while the second wave was devoted to the new movie; that's pretty much what happened with Toy Story as well (the second wave does have one set based on a scene from Toy Story 2, but otherwise it's all about 3). Based on those two examples, I presume the first wave of Pirates of the Caribbean sets will cover the first three movies (or the series in general), followed by a second wave dealing more or less entirely with the new movie. If that's the case and if the theme lasts beyond those first two waves, I imagine the subsequent waves will deal with all four movies to varying degrees, as happened with the third and fourth waves of Indiana Jones.

I'm guessing since the theme hasn't been anounced this is their teaser for the theme.

I would agree. It is probably to get us excited. :pir-classic:

Perhaps we'll see a UCS-styled ship for this line. While most licences seem to lack the popularity to follow in Star Wars' footsteps, I could actually see LEGO giving a UCS Black Pearl a chance. This licence may be a disappointment for you pirates fans, but for MOCing it may be the best thing to come around in a good number of years. Looking back to the late 90s, Harry Potter was an amazing resource for castle fans. Who knows what bricks and accessories this theme will bring.

It seems unlikely, but the tricorn doesn't really look molded to the rest of the hairpiece. Is it possibly loose, and could be removed?

Can't say I'm overly keen on a licenced based Pirate LEGO theme but I don't see how it could be the end of Classic-Pirates.com. If its profitable, the LEGO Group may continue a Pirates of the Caribbean theme for a few years but eventually it will come to an end.

I think what Cpt. Dan meant was not the end of our beloved website, but rather the end of classic Pirate sets, the sets with more classic feel which will be replaced by POTC sets which will be similar in some manner, yet with a different feel (flesh instead of yellow to begin with). I think it's possible that POTC will be introduced and then last for 1 - 2 years, but what happens next? More "neutral" (non-licensed) pirates? Somehow I don't think so - they already did that in 2009.

Oh well, let's not look that far into the future, for now I'm just happy there's a chance we will see more pirate sets, well, with a POTC logo of course, but still from a pirate universe...

I think most or many of us felt we would see PotC Lego closer to the release of PotC 4.

The run of the last Pirates line seemed unreasonably short- I mean even BAD themes seem to get at least ONE update and the pirates didn't get any. Seemed like they left some of the price points vacant and had plenty of opportunity to expand the line.

As for the fig- I think it looks pretty good considering it is clearly preproduction. He might be on the camel because of a scene in the upcoming movie- but that is all speculation.

I would be excited to see how Blackbeard looks and what kind of new ships we will be getting out of the deal.

East India Trading Company soldiers ON!

This licence may be a disappointment for you pirates fans, but for MOCing it may be the best thing to come around in a good number of years. Looking back to the late 90s, Harry Potter was an amazing resource for castle fans. Who knows what bricks and accessories this theme will bring.

Excellent point! The main reason I purchase sets from any other line is to acquire pieces and colors to use in Pirate MOCs. Harry brought some cool elements, (spiral stairs, books, beards, winged horses) colors (sand green anyone?) and minifig accessories (like new hair pieces) that were especially useful to castle MOCers.

I would hope for similar useful accessories for Pirates from PotC. A new compass? Rum jugs? New weapons? Who knows what we will get- but I am sure there will be a least a few new pieces to entice even casual fans to buy a few sets.

How many ships we will get you think? I mean yeah there are quite a few important ships in whole PoTC serie but making ship sets a little bit expensive tho. :)

Perhaps we'll see a UCS-styled ship for this line. While most licences seem to lack the popularity to follow in Star Wars' footsteps, I could actually see LEGO giving a UCS Black Pearl a chance. This licence may be a disappointment for you pirates fans, but for MOCing it may be the best thing to come around in a good number of years. Looking back to the late 90s, Harry Potter was an amazing resource for castle fans. Who knows what bricks and accessories this theme will bring.

Given that they just released (and are still selling) the Imperial Flagship, I cant see that a UCS Black Perl would come out so soon.

OTOH, they DID do a UCS Batmobile (which was a GREAT parts pack at the price I ended up paying) so it may happen later.

Given that they just released (and are still selling) the Imperial Flagship, I cant see that a UCS Black Perl would come out so soon.

Hypothetically, by the earliest time a UCS Black Pearl could be released, the Imperial Flagship would be over 12 months old. Although it would be sensible for the LEGO Group to determine the viability of such a set after guaging the performance of regular Pirates of the Caribbean sets.

A Black Pearl has to be the centrepiece of any POTC line. It just wouldn't be PotC without it, and LEGO would never be that daft.

I am struggling to think of a decent entry-level set, like the Desert Attack set from Prince of Persia (I don't want to compare to existing Pirates sets for price reasons; we all know POTC sets will be more expensive). Jack's rum island is a possibility, but that would only provide two minifigs and a bonfire (unless they include one of Norrington's sailors in a boat, coming to save them).

Probably there will be two hairpieces - dreadlocks with hat, and dreadlocks without hat. Unless Lego have devised a way to discretely fit hats on hair, which is plausible... a small hole, like the one for plumes and tiaras, on top of the hair, and a peg on the base of the hat.

It seems unlikely, but the tricorn doesn't really look molded to the rest of the hairpiece. Is it possibly loose, and could be removed?

Actually I see no reason why the hairpiece could not be molded with an integral stud. The hat could be normal and fit on either the hair or a regular head and it would allow the fig to be used without a hat.

OK, maybe wishful thinking but even after the disaster of the cool and then horrible Prospector Pete non-hat I still have hope.

Interesting find ! :oh3:

Now what next eh ?

TRON ?

I guess we will have to wait and see eh ?

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Tron would be awesome

I know Jack's hat is quite iconic, but so is his look wearing just the bandana around his head - that's how I always picture him, anyhow. Sort-of like how Rastan had multiple torso prints, I think they could go one better and give Sparrow two different hairpieces in different sets. One with the hat, one without.

A Black Pearl has to be the centrepiece of any POTC line. It just wouldn't be PotC without it, and LEGO would never be that daft.

I am struggling to think of a decent entry-level set, like the Desert Attack set from Prince of Persia (I don't want to compare to existing Pirates sets for price reasons; we all know POTC sets will be more expensive). Jack's rum island is a possibility, but that would only provide two minifigs and a bonfire (unless they include one of Norrington's sailors in a boat, coming to save them).

I don't think we will see ships like The Imperial Flagship, in that size. The PotC ships need a lot of details, minifigs, plus they sell a bit higher than normal sets, and I doubt TLC expects us to pay a 200 Euro for a set of a new line. For SW it seems to work now, making all the sets bigger and more expensive, but I doubt they start doing that with a new theme. Look at Toy Story, Indiana Jones and PoP, the biggest sets are about 75 or 85 Euros, and I guess they will have a hard time selling Toy Storys Train Chase set 7597 for that price. I guess 100-120Euros will be the maximum for a set and there is no chance of a huge Port Royal Playset or so. Small or medium sized sets, there will be some.. I expect the duel between Jack and Will from part 1 to be a 20 Euro set, the chinese harbour to be about 35 and for 15, well, let's see! But I cannot await it!

:)

A Blackpearl would be good, and I think we would see an Imperial ship again, just smaller in size.

I'm happy there's a possible new Pirate theme anyhow!

I think I'll have to say that I'm a little bit skeptical of this. PotC finished its trilogy years ago and I'd think that Lego would want to have sets out when the movie could boost sales. Right now that just wouldn't be the case. That's a cool Jack Sparrow minifig though to be sure.

Lego minifigs are just getting better and better, I can only imagine the incredible figs we'll get

...and a Black Pearl...and what about that massive navy ship,er the Dauntless? That would be great next to my Imperial Flagship

Honestly intriguing! I, too, was sad to the last Pirates to go on hiatus so quickly, but while I'm not a fan of the POTC series at all, I wasn't interested in Prince of Persia one bit either and that didn't stop me from absolutely loving the PoP LEGO line.

Given all we've seen thus far is this fig, it's hard to say anything about the line, but if it ends up including as many new, useful elements (particularly minifigs, accessories, and animals) that PoP did, the fact its a licensed line is moot. There is the pricing issue, but I'll be happy for new parts to use in Pirate MOCs and figs.

The fig looks so cool, and I'm raking my brain for all the possibilities from the three movies. So many good ideas for sets. However, I think Jack is suffering a bit from the Rebel Hoth trooper syndrome, where the headpiece is sitting a little high on the figures head. Thats my only nit pick. Another problem is that between SW and Harry Potter, I don' think I'm gonna have enough in my budget for these guys, but I can always try!

Hey! Great minifigure for a hopefully great theme, eh?!

I personally adore the PotC movies, so this is a great step in the right direction...

But the large number of new licences let it seem like TLC wishs to fill the giant gap the SW franchise will leave if they dont update the licence SOON.

I'm really interested in how the other characters like Davy Jones (his crew WILL look awesome!), Will, Elizabeth et cetera are designed...

greets,

Big Brick

I'm glad this is finally happening. I just can't wait to see Barbossa along side Jack, Will, and Miss Swann on the Black Pearl in Lego form! I know they will cover this theme the way they did for IJ, a mix of sets from the first three movies in January and a wave from the new one in June. Between this, Star Wars, and hopefully more Harry Potter I have no idea how I will ever have extra cash for anything else.