Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

'Svelte' asked the question about Jack riding a camel, I just view a leaked video on worstpreviews.com (from Comic Con itself) - a teaser clip featuring a drunk Jack Sparrows explaining that he isn't going to search for the 'fountain of youth'.

The idea of the 'fountain of youth' started with the Ethiopians hundreds of years ago - hence northern parts of Africa and hence the camel !

Also special parts etc., from PoP could be used again for this theme saving Lego alot of money ! :pir-devil:

Here have a look for yourself........Teaser from Comic Con

I'm a conformist! ! :pir-classic:

From what I can remember, Jack went to look for the Fountain of Youth somewhere in Florida. If from there he is lead to Africa, then that's something we will have to wait for the film to know.

Cheers

Such an exciting piece of news :pir-wub:. That Jack figure looks really realistic.

I want some more news now and some new pictures. The figures and sets that will come from a PoTC theme will be amazing :pir-sweet:. It might make up for the loss of the pirate theme.

Well the title of the film is “On Stranger Tides" sounds like to me they are travelling to somewhere new like Africa - just a theory of mine.

I'm a conformist! ! :pir-sweet:

Oh, quick edit..

I found this.......

In this action-packed tale of truth, betrayal, youth and demise, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) crosses paths with a woman from his past (Penelope Cruz), and he’s not sure if it’s love–or if she’s a ruthless con artist who’s using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne’s Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn’t know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.

Found it on beyondhollywood.com !

Edited by lightningtiger

this is a megablocks face acserssorie and indiana jones torso and a prince of persia face

THERE WILL BE NO PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN THEME

You're kidding right!? XD

This is awesome... And nothing I wasn't already expecting! ;)

Cool...

I can't wait to see pictures of these sets!

If Lego can pull this off well then this could be a really cool theme!

And that Jack minifig looks really detailed!

this is a megablocks face acserssorie and indiana jones torso and a prince of persia face

No it isn't, It a completely new torso and that head is defiantly Lego.

Please do not feed the trolls.

Ties in perfectly with Disney licensing, and as mentioned previously, makes sense to have cancelled the regular Pirate theme.

I'm excited over this news and looking forward to seeing a LEGO Black Pearl set as well as all the other popular movie scenes. In regard to the style/design, I could see them being similar to the PoP sets.

Oh, this is... This is... This is fARRRR beyond what I ever imagined. If this is the real thing, that's a whole theme right there that I'm buying all sets of. No question.

Never been a MegaBloks fan, but for Pirates of the Caribbean, I did sin. Bought three or four of those sets. The first (and to me, best) film came out when I was 14 and had a big influence on my whole taste in and knowledge of movies. Through Pirates I discovered mister Depp, through mister Depp I discovered the films of misters Gilliam and Rodriguez, found new appreciation for mister Burton's work...

That figure looks absolutely gorgeous. Please, please, please let it be real. (Looks that way, but I'm no expert.) Glad to see bigger LEGO fans than myself are thinking it's genuine.

Combined with that teaser from Comic-Con, I've turned from 'meh' to 'OH YES, BRING IT ON!' in one morning. How easy am I?! ;) Or how brilliant are the actual mister Depp and his minifigure self...

Someone mentioned the lack of new bluecoats/redcoats - I'm no expert in POTC, I've only seen the first one and I'm pretty sure there were some soldiers in uniforms running around. So we may actually get a yet another kind of army to build. :pir-classic:

Edited by Dreamweb

Yeah, there were a good amout of soldiers in all the films i believe, at least in the first and second ones. There even were some "popular" soldier characters, like the 2 stupid ones that fall on jack's trick in the first movie :pir_laugh2:

Well the title of the film is “On Stranger Tides" sounds like to me they are travelling to somewhere new like Africa - just a theory of mine.

'On Stranger Tides' is the name of a pirate themed novel - it probably gives some good clues as to the story. I've never read it, but it was apparently the inspiration for my all time favourite computer game, Monkey Island.

Any pirates is better than no pirates in my opinion. I'd love to get a few more ships to add to my fleet, and it'd be great if they did a Tortuga or something with a few mid sized ships as well (like the old Imperial Trading Post). It's a bit of a shame we'll have to pay the Disney tax (maybe not as high as the Star Wars tax if Prince Of Persia was anything to go by).

Actually, the Prince of Persia stuff all looked pretty good to me - it definitely bodes well for the next Disney franchise...

I know I'm not the popular opinion here-- but I think I'll predominantly skip this theme. As much as I've loved pirates, the Pirates trilogy is so stuffed full of sci-fi elements that it loses my interest a bit. I'm sure there'll be some great torsos and headgear, but I'm also turned off by the idea of fleshies-- I've had a hard time converting my SW universe over and I'm quite happy with all the yellows I already have. On the other hand, a Port Royal set is very intriguing, fleshies or not. Have to wait and see, I suppose...

Oh, and speaking of Pirates novels, I'm just finishing up the late great Michael Crichton's posthumous release, Pirate Latitudes. Not his best work, but it's a good ol' fashioned pirate romp with privateers vs. the fleet of the Spanish main. Definitely worth recommending to fellow pirates afols!!

Someone mentioned the lack of new bluecoats/redcoats - I'm no expert in POTC, I've only seen the first one and I'm pretty sure there were some soldiers in uniforms running around. So we may actually get a yet another kind of army to build. :pir-classic:

Oh, like Greencoats perhaps? :pir-classic::pir-laugh:

Thats true, when the POTC 4 will be published, a POTC theme will come. i have heard many many stories about this and i truly belive at POTC is the new line of the Pirates theme.

(Please fix if im wrong :pir-look: )

Captain Becker

Gee I never seen a forum ran wild like this for those liking or disliking the idea POTC !

I just wish Lego or Disney would come out and say something ?

What's next a poll for should they or they shouldn't ?

I'm a conformist! ! :pir-classic:

Interesting. It's one thing to have a theme rumoured, but then to have a prototype minifigure all of a sudden makes things that much more exciting.

For me, the POtC movies became less appealing with each installment, however I believe they will be perfectly suited for Lego treatment. If theses sets are anything like the Indiana Jones or Prince of Persia ones, then we should be in for a good time.

I'm sure we will get our share of Pirate ships, but what I'm most excited about is the prospect of getting more land based sets. With four films to draw from, there is a lot of potential here - it will be interesting to see what they do with this license.

As for the Jack Sparrow minifigure, he is basically what I expected (well, maybe a bit more detailed than I imagined). While I'd love for that hat to be removable, I can't help but feel that the hat and hair may be a single piece. Only time will tell.

You must remember the one factor why this would be very profitable for Lego....two words.....Johnny Depp ! :pir-laugh:

Yeap, Willy Wonka and The Mad Hatter himself........boys and some girls feel he's COOL (much better than 21 Jump St.) and with Jack back on the scene Lego Pirate's is reborn or was it planned this way.....pirates short life to see if this theme would live or walk the plank ? :pir-grin:

The figure is very well done and I know I am staring at the proof, but I find it hard to believe that they are making a POC line. It just seems like someone at Lego did a cool mock-up just for fun. However, I am probably wrong about that. Goodness knows I have been before...

While I'm disappointed that our beloved Pirates have been taken over by a licensed theme, there should be the potential for many great new parts for MOCing, so it's not all bad. :pir-classic:

...It does look like one piece, which I'm not really a fan of...

But thats the greatest pirate anime out there! ...ok, bad pun.

It looks like it could be fake to me, but if its real, I should start saving now. I want a fleet of black pearls!

I can see this as a long running line, or at least a couple releases.

First, if it is based off the new movie, they will have most of the initial sets based off of that. Then, (because lego pirate fans would be in an uproar if they didn't) they should release a black pearl set, and a smaller seondary line based on each of the first 3 movies.

That is what I expect.

I think the compass at best will be a painted flat 1x1

...on another note, I just saw all 3 movies last weekend(yes, for he first time), and my 1 major gripe is Why doesn't Davey Jones just keep the chest on his ship, because then he would basically be invincible. Why leave it on land where he can only go 1 day in 10 years? And as to calypso, its a logical romance, but a fail explanation for why he's upset. If she's really some kind of sea goddess, there's no reason SHE couldn't go see him!

I think the hair/hat will look amazing when it is finished product and the belt is printed so I would assume this is official.

Yes, it looks very well crafted but its early days yet, could turn out to be anything.

I hope not... I really like the classic pirates stuff, especially the line from 88-97. If POTC is produced, I think that it could be the end of classic pirates.

Can't say I'm overly keen on a licenced based Pirate LEGO theme but I don't see how it could be the end of Classic-Pirates.com. If its profitable, the LEGO Group may continue a Pirates of the Caribbean theme for a few years but eventually it will come to an end.

PS. I think it deserves being blogged...

Good work sir! :thumbup: