Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Omigod, he's perfect! While it's a bit disappointing that the normal pirates got bumped for this (at least, that's how I see it), it will be awesome to see Pirates of the Carribean done properly, unlike that lame effort of M@?#BL)*KS...

Wow. Just wow. Always been a massive pirates fan (with the originals coming out when I was a kid), but I love the idea of PotC Lego. Even if its for the plethora of new coloured parts we'll get to use for a classic Pirate mocs!

Yes! When I heard that there will come a PotC 4 I thougt that Lego could make stets of the movies like they did with Toy Story. First a wave from the 3 movies and then a wave from the new one (hopping!) And the Jack fig looks great! I'am waiting for Barbossa, Will and Elizabeth!

Ok, first of all, is it good to hear that there will still be Lego pirates :thumbup: ....... But a licensed theme will be more expensive in any case. :thumbdown:

Probably there will be two hairpieces - dreadlocks with hat, and dreadlocks without hat. Unless Lego have devised a way to discretely fit hats on hair, which is plausible... a small hole, like the one for plumes and tiaras, on top of the hair, and a peg on the base of the hat.

I didn't think we would see any pictures of this range until October at the earliest. But now I'm conflicted... I want to read about the new range, but I don't want it to spoil the fourth movie for me... which is the most important?

Maybe all POTC news should be marked with 'contains potential spoilers' from now on, unless it's obviously from the first three movies.

Edit: Oh crap! I just realised Jack won't be able to turn his head at all with that hair. Probably Davy Jones won't either. I think I'll keep the figures from these sets for my collection, but populate the actual sets with old-fashioned pirates with turnable heads.

Edited by David Thomsen

Probably there will be two hairpieces - dreadlocks with hat, and dreadlocks without hat. Unless Lego have devised a way to discretely fit hats on hair, which is plausible... a small hole, like the one for plumes and tiaras, on top of the hair, and a peg on the base of the hat.

I didn't think we would see any pictures of this range until October at the earliest. But now I'm conflicted... I want to read about the new range, but I don't want it to spoil the fourth movie for me... which is the most important?

Maybe all POTC news should be marked with 'contains potential spoilers' from now on, unless it's obviously from the first three movies.

Edit: Oh crap! I just realised Jack won't be able to turn his head at all with that hair. Probably Davy Jones won't either. I think I'll keep the figures from these sets for my collection, but populate the actual sets with old-fashioned pirates with turnable heads.

I fear that Davy Jones will not be made- he is not in 4th pirates i believe... but we'll pretty definitely get Barbossa, Gibbs and Blackbeard... and Penelope Cruz in lego :pir_laugh2: But i hope they'll release sets from all movies and i really want to see Davy Jones with rubbery face and removable scissor hand and crab leg :pir-classic: but i afraid there is no way to make skeletonpirates from COTBP....

It is now frontpaged on Classic-Pirates.com

To be honest, I don't like POTC that much. Still, having this theme around would be better than having no pirates at all. If the sets are good, I'll probably buy some of them. But I'll replace all the fleshie minifig parts with some classic pirate faces and turn these guys into my own kind of pirates. The movie aspect of the possible sets is something I'm not interested in TBH.

I, personally, can not wait to see Mr. Davy Jones. How will they do his crab arm?.

As i said we cannot be sure if we'll see Davy this theme is from the new movie without him... i hope we will- they just need to make new mold for crabarm...

Wow! I'm of two minds concerning this possible new theme... Let's see:

pros:

- new moulds, accessories, new colours for existing moulds

- a whole lot of new piratey minifigs, with beautiful prints if they are half as nice as the PoP minifigs

- could become a long lasting theme, with 4 movies as background material

- promotional sets

cons:

- license premium: likely more expensive than comparable Pirate sets

- fleshies: how will they mingle with yellow heads?

- no Bluecoats (who cares about Redcoats? :pir-tongue:)

In any case, this will bring more variety to the Pirate palette, and if the overall quality of the PoP theme is anything to go by, it should be a huge AFOL success.

I fear that Davy Jones will not be made- he is not in 4th pirates i believe...

So when Indiana Jones 4 came out, they only made Lego Indiana Jones sets from that film, and nothing from the first three films? And they definitely didn't do anything from the first three Star Wars films... or the first two Toy Story films...

:pir-tongue:

There will definitely be a Davy Jones figure, even if he doesn't come out immediately.

Edited by David Thomsen

It makes sense to tie in with the new movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I guess Megabloks' license of PotC only covered the first 3 movies. That, or I completely misunderstand how licensing works. :pir_wacko::pir-tongue:

Maybe they'll do what they did with Indy and release sets for the new movie first, then sets for the original 3? A possibility. :pir-classic:

Yeah, the price might also be an issue here... Since licensed sets are usually more expensive, they'd have to make them really good it they want me to buy them. :pir-tongue:

What I hope for the most are some new cool torsos, hairpieces, hats and accesories (weapons etc.) that will blend nicely with the classic pirate stuff we all love. And a new ship about the size of Brickbeard's Bounty would be highly appreciated!

Yes! Yes finally!

Although I really hope the pirates theme will come back some time, this is a great opportunity to get more variety in torso's, weapons and other stuff!

And I hope they will make the Endeavour (from PotC, not Cooks's) or another ship with the yellow black pattern :pir-sweet:

The Flying Dutchman... on LEGO? *salivates*

Maybe now we'll get to see a port city with civilians... Port Royal!

I wish have those little $10 licensed sets then all will be good. I just want a Johnny Depp minifig.

This is awesome if this is true! And it's very bad for my wallet :pir_bawling::pir_laugh2: Ever since the movies came out, i was thinking that if there was alego line, there would be endless possibilities of sets, and now it looks like it's coming to life. Bring it on!

Don't know why everyone's racking their brains for a crab arm for Jones... Agents/Collectibe minifig robot arm with claw, just in brown. Problem solved.

WOW. I am amazed. Ok, I saw this coming but seeing this minifig just makes me want to have it!!

I am sure the quality of buildings and figures will be on the very high level of PoP, and I thought those prices are kind of fair, especially the castle for 80Euros. One thing they need to fix though is giving (yes, even!) more figures. PoP was a mess, you need to get all the sets to receive all the interesting parts and minifigs...;) well, I know it was marketing.

I said it before and I say it again (though purists will hate me): Star Wars is the better Space, Indy the better Adventurers and no one can deny that the PoP castle was by far the best one we got since 15 years. PotC will be so much superior to 2009 pirates then 2 cookies to one.

I'm quite excited about this news. Whilst its a shame that this means there (probably) wont be any 'classic' pirate lego for a while, the potential for parts, sets and minifigs in the POTC more than makes up for it (Dont forget you can always turn fleshies into yellow minifigs )

No idea what the new film is about so hard to comment on that sets and minifig wise. I know orlando bloom and kiera knightly arnt doing it so no Will or Elizabeth minifigs. I dont know whether they have the licence to the previous films but im assuming we will see sets from them. Was thinking about the possibilities for sets from the first 3 films, Quite alot of overlap between the three films in terms of characters and locations.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Sets

Black Pearl Ship

HMS Inteceptor

Port Royale - Including Jail, Fort, Dock etc

Tortuga

Wills Blacksmith

Swan Mansion

Isla de Muerta

Rum Island ( Where jack is marooned) could even include a turtle?

Minifigs

Jack

Will

Elizabeth

Norrington

Governor Swann

Barbossa

Gibbs

Raggeti and Pintel (one whose eye keeps popping out)

Lots of skeletons for black pearl crew

Couple of hapless Red coat guards!

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Sets

Flying Dutchman

Tribal Island ( similar in style to the islander sets!)

Tia Dalmas Shack

Digging up the deadmans chest

Kracken Attacking (again, but bigger!)

Minifigs

Davy Jones

Davy Jones Crew

Bootstrap Bill

Tia Dalma

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Sets

Shipwreck Cove

Brethren court

Sao Feng's ship

East india trading company HQ?

Minifigs

Pirate Lords ?

Sao Feng +crew ?

Cutler Beckett ?

Very interesting, and also very damaging to my wallet if this is true.

Cool. I'm not into the pirates theme (I was as a kid, but that's long ago :grin: ), but I like the movie-trilogy, so there could be some sets I'm interested in.

Awesome, can't wait to see more. I expect we'll get a version of Jack without the hat, too. I just have an inkling.

I also expect we'll get a wave before the film comes out, with sets from the previous movies, like we had with Toy Story. I'm not actually sure when it's coming out, but since the minifig has already been shown we'll probably get a wave in early 2011, then another when the film is released.

For more excited than I am about LEGO releasing sets of the first three movies, what's the likelyhood of that happening, concidering MB HAD (and I say "had" because I don't think they do anymore) a POTC license over those 3 movies?

The fact that as I said , MB had and doesn't have the license anymore (atleast I don't see any POTC sets on their site anymore) may actually come in our favour!

I for once am dreaming of sleeping aside of a Keira Knightley Minifig! :pir-tongue:

Cheers

So when Indiana Jones 4 came out, they only made Lego Indiana Jones sets from that film, and nothing from the first three films? And they definitely didn't do anything from the first three Star Wars films... or the first two Toy Story films...

:pir-tongue:

There will definitely be a Davy Jones figure, even if he doesn't come out immediately.

There is still too few indy sets.... :pir-hmpf_bad: but you're right -they probably will make Davy and his boys... but idea of Davy minifig is too cool for me to accept :pir-tongue: I'm just thinking if Jerry Bruckheimer films/disney have sold rights only for new movie and not the older trilogy- anyway i would love to see Cutler Beckett with new wigmold.. EITC-soldier Battlepack... and mule -they have to do a mule too perhaps new parrotmold for Cotton... I'm wondering how they're going to do Jack The Monkey :pirate_sad2: they have to do him Barbossa can't be without him... and Davy with -at least Maccus, Clanker, Koleniko, Jimmy Legs and Bootstrap.... this theme definitely was not a surprise- first lego brought the pirate theme back- then they made atlantis theme with some sort of preliminary Davy Jones' crew and POP-licence from Jerry Bruckheimer film... I would love to see Davy in lego- Dark Tan may be good for his face- at least that rubbery mold would suit there...

I am actually feeling very excited about this. Despite of the loss of the recent re-released Pirates for being out in the market for a short while, but I am looking forward of many new elements offered in this POTC theme. :pir-sweet: