Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Who needs information when they got answers. :pir-wink:

I think the images was taken far before the development of the movie. Also the ship looks nothing like any we've seen from the film. Prettys ure that's some lego original, looks as such.    

1 hour ago, deskp said:

Who needs information when they got answers. :pir-wink:

So would it be possible for you to tell us a set that it isn't?  For instance if it isn't Queen Ann's or The Flying Dutchman? I think the images was taken far before the development of the movie. Also the ship looks nothing like any we've seen from the film. Prettys ure that's some lego original, looks as such.    

Would it be possible to let us know which set it isn't?  For instance if it's not Queen Ann's or The Flying Dutchman. ?

Edited by Legoman123

4 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Would it be possible to let us know which set it isn't?  For instance if it's not Queen Ann's or The Flying Dutchman. ?

I have no insider information, it was just a response in regards to my earlier statement, sorry.

12 hours ago, David Thomsen said:

Well, at least we now have a more informative response than Deskp gave... :pir_laugh2:

:pir_laugh2:, This is a prototype ship, it was and never will be a final set. This was most likely a first version of the Imperial Flagship. Notice the sets around it. This was clearly taken in 2009. Ship wise...we see brickbeards bounty in the background. When the brick bounty came out most designers said it was a huge improvement to brickbeards bounty and they liked it more. So if this was a recent photo they would have the brick bounty displayed. Another reason is the fact that the cars 2 sets are displayed. If this was recent we might actually be seeing cars 3 sets displayed.and my final reason is the fact that when you look at the build of the pirate ship (the big one) you notice it has a similar build to the Imperial Flagship. Those are my reasons why this pirate ship was a prototype of the Imperial Flagship and not one of the pirates of the Caribbean ships. Hope it helps! :pir-wink:

I disagree with this being a prototype of the imperial flagship.  1.  The two ships look totally different the IFS is a man of war while the prototype set is a pirate galleon with pirate sails.  2.  The set looks like a licensed set based off of the sails and color scheme.  3.  The look of the ship reminds me very much of the brief view of the new ship in the trailer.  4.  Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has been in production for almost 6 years so even if the photo was old it could still be the new ship.  Just my thoughts but I would love to hear other opinions.  

10 hours ago, azog said:

:pir_laugh2:, This is a prototype ship, it was and never will be a final set. This was most likely a first version of the Imperial Flagship. Notice the sets around it. This was clearly taken in 2009. Ship wise...we see brickbeards bounty in the background...Another reason is the fact that the cars 2 sets are displayed. If this was recent we might actually be seeing cars 3 sets displayed.and my final reason is the fact that when you look at the build of the pirate ship (the big one) you notice it has a similar build to the Imperial Flagship. Those are my reasons why this pirate ship was a prototype of the Imperial Flagship and not one of the pirates of the Caribbean ships. Hope it helps! :pir-wink:

I think you're right, though IMO it's probably something that came out of the initial brief for a D2C Pirate-themed ship, rather than a direct prototype version of the Imperial ship we ultimately got. It's a pretty awesome design though; and I wish we could see more of it and learn about it and other early/rejected Pirate sets. There's something of the Skull's Eye Schooner about it, and i wonder if it wasn't intended to be an updated version of that ship. I'm afraid LEGO's combination of secrecy and perceived disinterest will keep stuff like this locked away in the archives--I'd love to learn more about other Pirate projects!

It does seem like the skull and swords on the sail were ultimately brought back for the 2015 Pirate line (though admittedly crossed swords were suggested for the '89 wave as well), so maybe we'll see elements of this ship pop up in the PoTC set anyway, even if it is based on a ship from the movies.

TC

I think (and hope) they are going to make a set with two ships. I'm sure that the 'Dying Gull' is in there.

800x452.jpg

5 hours ago, Melvin said:

I think (and hope) they are going to make a set with two ships. I'm sure that the 'Dying Gull' is in there.

if its around 250 bucks they certainly can have the piece count for that. Considering the small size of the 'gull

3 hours ago, deskp said:

if its around 250 bucks they certainly can have the piece count for that. Considering the small size of the 'gull

Who's ship is the Dying Gull? 

21 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Who's ship is the Dying Gull? 

We don't actually know, but it's being used by the heroes.  Jack, Henry and Carina. Marty is also seen on it.

Edit: " At the helm of the Dying Gull, his pitifully small and shabby ship, Captain Jack "

Edited by deskp

4 hours ago, deskp said:

We don't actually know, but it's being used by the heroes.  Jack, Henry and Carina. Marty is also seen on it.

So where does the Black Pearl fit into the new movie then?

Also do we have any idea when we will see a proper trailer?

Edited by Legoman123

4 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

So where does the Black Pearl fit into the new movie then?

Also do we have any idea when we will see a proper trailer?

no idea about trailer. The pearl is in movie. possibly in flashback as well as normal time.

On 12/30/2016 at 1:51 AM, Jack Bricker said:

I disagree with this being a prototype of the imperial flagship.  1.  The two ships look totally different the IFS is a man of war while the prototype set is a pirate galleon with pirate sails.  2.  The set looks like a licensed set based off of the sails and color scheme.  3.  The look of the ship reminds me very much of the brief view of the new ship in the trailer.  4.  Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has been in production for almost 6 years so even if the photo was old it could still be the new ship.  Just my thoughts but I would love to hear other opinions.  

I would agree here.  The fact that the printing on the lower main sail matches the symbol on the Black Pearl's flag (skull over cutlasses), and judging by the built up stern castle it would have around the right amount of bricks for that price point using the $0.10 rule of thumb, I'd say persons are rushing to discount it a bit prematurely.  The fact they may have had it sitting around waiting for PTC 5 to finally happen could also explain why we are only getting a direct set; they already had it ready to go for some time so they might as well release it.

I'm not saying this is a definitive thing, only that it is a plausible.

I just really hope we don't get two ships in one set.  I would much rather have one ship with a more detailed build, like the Imperial Flagship, than two ships that just look like everything else we revive in the pirates line.  

26 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

I just really hope we don't get two ships in one set.  I would much rather have one ship with a more detailed build, like the Imperial Flagship, than two ships that just look like everything else we revive in the pirates line.  

I too hope the ships are finished of properly, and if we get multiple ships the amount of pieces matches that.

The imperial flagship did however not use anywhere near 250 bucks worth of pieces.

It would be a bit weird if they did put 2 ships in one set though cause at that point they could just sold the small ship separately and reached a larger younger audience.

29 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

I don't know about you all, but I'm sick of waiting. I wish we could get some news...

It looks like you're getting sea sick :laugh: 

Just wait, it'll happen before you know it.

The film comes may 26, I think the set is available before you can see the movie in the cinema, so it will not take long before we see images.

But I also can't wait.....

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

There are pics of a new (odd) shark mold, which aparently comes in the set

It could quite possibly be the Silent Mary that we end up getting.  

Thinking about it, given the price of the set we could quite possibly see a ship as detailed as the Imperial Flagship (that been the silent Mary) and the Dying Gull in the set as well, as it is only a small ship.  

Has lego ever done a d2c of a brand new vehicle/place?  In my mind lego has been doing the classic as d2c sets.

7 hours ago, deskp said:

Has lego ever done a d2c of a brand new vehicle/place?  In my mind lego has been doing the classic as d2c sets.

I believe Metalbeards Seacow was a D2C.