Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

7864 LEGO 12v speed regulator extra output socket

Hi there,

I have a question and i've been wondering about it ever since I first saw the 12 volt step down transformer. The question is:

It has three power out puts two on the front and one on the side, now the one on the side and one of the ones on the front are for powering the track and auxiliaries (eg switches, stop lights etc.) The other one on the front is marked like this 13V~ now I understand that this symbol means A.C power does anyone know what this is meant to be used for also on some of my transformers its just marked 12V~ why?

I hope that someone can shed some light on this extra output socket.

Yeah, I remember that when I had the 12v transformer as a kiddie- that always bugged the hell out of me too.

Sorry I can't help.

Greetings Gareth,

Concerning accessories:

Assuming this 7864 LEGO 12v speed regulator is the one you are referring to. The 13v connector may be for use with 12v street lamps so they are at constant brightness rather than variable pick up from the electrified train track. The 13v is probably for use with longer lengths of wire between them and the power-pack or for many accessories. Long wire= more resistance. I don't think they are going to get 13v, in fact, they may well not even be getting 12v. The lights should be fine.

The best way to judge this is to take the lights, and (in a dark room) look at the lumens (brightness) or color of the light, if it is yellow then the bulbs will have a decent lifespan and working properly, if they are white or look excessively bright, then you are running them with too much voltage and I would recommend not using that output. Hope this helps :classic:

Ah, old school first year electronics at trade school here for me......now 13V output, yep lighting.....but the greater load that voltage with drop.....then again an open circuit across said terminals would result in a higher voltage...why ? no current draw.

My suggestion to anyone playing with trains, buy a good digital multimeter so you can monitor the voltages.

Now if you use the 13V line for lighting, you can buy from some electronic stores 14V globes (actually very common in late 80's Yamaha receivers - man, did they blew like crazy).

Brick On ! :grin:

Yes sorry it is the speed regulator set 7864.

Ah right thanks for the replies guys, I'll try that for the lights and it's a thought but would that socket also work fro an extremely large layout?.

I would say yes, in theory. As I stated before longer wire for larger layouts would drop the voltage with the more loads (lights) added + the added resistance from the longer wire. I am, however, not an expert on the 12V. I am just using what I know about how car stereos work, as I built my car's stereos and speakers. You'll probably get an in depth tutorial on the 12v functions from 12v AFOL or Lego Train 12v. They both have very large elaborate layouts with accessories.

If you're willing to trust a Power Ranger . . . . here's what the 13V outlet is for (fast-forward to last 3rd of video):