Sign in to follow this  
Jacob C.

What do you think of my ship?

This was a ship I built back in 2004:

A Dutch Frigate

It was actually the first moc I built coming out of my "dark age."

I was curious to know what you guys thought of it.

Can you guess what I used for the sails? :-D

My golly goodness! You've created a floating fortress!

So for my first question (before I get fired up) is: Is this MOC still in existence or has it long since been disassembled?

PS. To me it looks like you've used felt for the sails.

Floating fortress is a very good description for the MOC that is on display here. But with all the fortress castle pieces wouldnt that make this ship sink to the bottom of the ocean? Or are the fortress castle pieces suppose to be made from metal like shielding to protect from bullets and cannon balls?

Yeah...I'm glad you like the term FLOATING FORTRESS ;-)

This really is....Ok...it reminds me on your last MOC...And it is good too...

I like that dutch flags,nice improvisation...And for no baseplates this is very good construction...

just keep on buliding mate....

Greetings from Serbia

Is this MOC still in existence or has it long since been disassembled?

I took it apart a couple weeks after I built it.

To me it looks like you've used felt for the sails.

Nope.

Good guess though.

But with all the fortress castle pieces wouldnt that make this ship sink to the bottom of the ocean?

lol, probably.

At the time I built this, I didn't have many pirate pieces except for cannons.

But I did have a lot of light gray.

Or are the fortress castle pieces suppose to be made from metal like shielding to protect from bullets and cannon balls?

I guess we can pretend they are.

Metal shielding it is!

I'm very curious about the "castle" like upper deck - what was the idea behind that? Metal (specifically iron) shielding was indeed used as protection on ships, those completely covered in shield were known as "Iron Clads".

Or were you just building with whatever you had available and decide whoever was looking at the MOC could decide for itself what the rampart upper really was?

Or were you just building with whatever you had available

Yep.

I would have rather not used light gray in the ship but it was all I had available at the time.

And the sails were made out of......Tissues!

Tissues huh? Were you on a tight budget? :-D

Next I'm wondering why you've decided this is a Dutch ship? What makes it Dutch? Since the Holland was one of the major colonising nations of the Caribbean it is only just that they are represented in the Pirate LEGO theme, however they should possess unique "Dutch" characteristics to define them as such. So do the mini-figures have any particular design which differentiates them from mini-figures in the other sub-themes?

What makes it Dutch?

The flag.

In this pic

The red, white, and blue striped flag is the same flag the dutch used.

Other than that, I'm not sure if there are any other similarities to the dutch.

Tissues huh? Were you on a tight budget?

At the time I couldn't think of anything else.

It is pretty funny though. :-D

But you've also used the Soldier flag as well - doesn't that undermine the Dutch ownership of the vessel?

By the way... You don't suppose you could give the Pirate forum a plug in your Brickshelf folder? See Promoting the Pirate Forum if you're interested...

Well this post has been up for some 2ish days now...I looked at it a bit. I have to say it looks rather nice but since you are a castle builder....It ends up looking like a castle. I don't want you to say im bringing down your ship...Building a ship isnt all as easy as people might thing...Atleast making one that looks like a ship. I will edit this post latter and comment more. For now this is what I say.

Ha yeah Evil Willie is right, this ship does look like a castle a fair bit but so does that new Knights Kingdom ship. The one with the dragon wings has turrets at either end which I think looks a bit strange on a ship. Maybe he could paint the frigate brown or something to make the castle bits look more like wood.

That new Knights Kingdom ship must be the absolute worst ship that The LEGO Company has ever released! Its the most stupid looking set I've seen in the Knights Kingdom theme and probably the entire SYSTEM LEGO!

This MOC is many 1000 times better than that Knights Kingdom ship!

I must say that Jacob is a holy mother of castle builders for his latest castle is of much excellence. He must have castle building dug deep within his heart for it is shining through even in his pirate ship moc. I wonder if Jacob could build an imperial fortress with his castle building talents?

It appears that only 2 users (excluded me and the creator) have commented on this MOC. It would be good if we could get a few more comments from different users before this thread disappears into the abyss.

I don't have much imput but this is very nice, it is huge the way frigates are supposed to be (even some of the biggest official LEGO ships are to small for realism). As with every ship I think it would look even better with string riggings. And as said earleir those sails just don't work.

P.S. Phes, I think I counted 3 users besides me, you and Jacob

I said two other users besides me and the creator - Jacob is the creator you see, so that's why its only two. But now you've posted there's 3!

I said two other users besides me and the creator - Jacob is the creator you see, so that's why its only two. But now you've posted there's 3!

I am aware that you said their are two others except you and Jacob, But I saw posts by Evil Willy, Captain Ironhook and dJOLe_sk8 that makes 3.

I think this ship is very nice! I only have to say that this is not a Dutch ''design'', only the flag makes it Dutch. If it is, it's surely not an 17th or 18th century ship! Still a very nice vessel.

I don't think it's castly. Just because is has a grey upper hull?

I do think the hull is too vertical, maybe add some tall sloping pieces for some more of a curvature. Perhaps the square-ish shape is a bit castle like.

The feature I like the best is the inverted slopes used as hull spacers.

I may have just not noticed that technique being used before, but I'll be stealing that for me own ships. >:-)

The feature I like the best is the inverted slopes used as hull spacers

Unfortunately, I didn't have any brown inverted slopes, so I had to use grey.

But yea, that's a good technique to extend the length of the hull.