• Average
    • Above Average
    • FantAT-ATstic
  2. 2. Which is your favourite AT-AT

• 8129 (this one)
    • 4483 (the 2003 original)
    • 10178 (the dying animal)
    • One of the mini ones
    • I hate AT-ATs. Why am I reading this thread?

Sorry for joining the party so late but I couldn't let this outstanding review pass without sending Rufus a hearty "bravo" ! I particularly love the 'dancing AT-AT' shots, and the "stealing the mail' description of trying to get to the contents of the box without actually tearing it open was classic !

For what it's worth, this is actually my least favourite AT-AT. I take the point about accuracy, but 4483 just looks more solid, while I actually like the squat 10178 shape, plus the fact that it has that walking trick up its sleeve ! I even prefer the mini version (4489) which I reviewed on Eurobricks ages back. Finally, I was one of those who thought it was crazy to release this new AT-AT when 10178 was still on sale. Still, thanks to the review I guess I grew to love 8129 just a little bit - it must have been the "sit up and beg" picture....

Quite possibly the funniest and most detailed review I have read on Eurobricks, for a set I didn't think there was much to talk about.

How wrong I was!

Well done Rufus.

The limbering up shots had me chortling with glee.

And I can't wait for the new "Yoga for AT-AT's" Instructional DVD...

I also want to tip my hat to you, Rufus, for an excellent review. Very entertaining, in depth, with some great humor, and great exposition concerning the build, the figs, and features with excellent photography to go along.

As a very happy owner of 3 copies of 4483 (just in case there was never another AT-AT set), I found this one to be a bit lacking compared to its pedecessor in detail, heft, build, accuracy, and features. Moreover, the inclusion of Han and C3PO raises a questioning eyebrow, esp in light of the new Millennium Falcon set coming this summer sans the golden droid and his astromech pal. Anyway, I still picked up a copy of this AT-AT, more out of morbid curiosity than anything, well that and my love of LEGO and AT-ATs :tongue:, and overall, it's not a bad set. For those who missed out on 4483, this is still a good representation of the AT-AT, and I'm happy to now have a Gen Veers fig. The walking version just didn't really appeal to me, although it's cool for what it is.

Great job, Rufus!

Edited by M'Kyuun

I have had this set for awhile and just got around to building it. I had to register to defend this iteration of the AT-AT. I understand quite a few on here have 4483, and this version hasn't changed much, but there has been much negative feedback on this model that seems somewhat over dramatic. This version looks great! I wish it had the printed pieces of the old one, but other than that, this one looks pretty darn accurate for a non UCS model.

Compared to 10178, whose main redeeming quality is the novelty walking ability, this model is way more accurate. I know people wanted to see an AMAZING upgrade from 4483, but that one was pretty darn good to begin with. It was also released 8 years ago. (smack dab in the middle of my dark ages.) I am glad they came out with 8129. It's perfect for people who didn't want the somewhat ugly walking 10178 and weren't able or around to pick up 4483.

Really great review, thanks Rufus! I must admit that I’m not that impressed by this set, it just looks a bit plain somehow, and unfinished. Perhaps if they had added a bit more detail it would have looked better. I know that 10178 is less accurate, and not very pretty, but it’s a far better set in my opinion. I have some very fond memories of building it on Christmas day a few years ago, and was amazed to see it lumbering across the floor; even my dad, brother & wife were impressed!

Each to their own, I guess :classic:

Thanks for the great review! I own an unopened 4483, and also have made a 10178. When they announced this release I couldn't understand why like many on here. However, I am a bit more tempted to get it after seeing this review, especially when I am trying to fight against the urges to own one if each!

Fantastic review! Comprehensive, informative and funny! Just great :thumbup:

I really think this is a good set as well. The walker is really stable (those posing photos in the review was awesome!) and looks great.

Great review the best I've read. The pictures at the end was a nice touch.

:classic:

Over the years I've bought all three of the AT ATs. The first AT AT is the best, while the latest is a good effort the overall look of the orginial is still alot better. The walking AT is interesting but loses some realism as it has to walk. Although the fact that it actual walks makes up for its lack of realism some what.

Anyway I'm still waiting for the UCS version. Maybe one day :sceptic:

Thanks for the great review. Had bought on for my self but never came to building it, now it's parted out in my BL store.