Sign in to follow this  
KingDom

Has anybody ever had this before...

46 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a bubble-less lightsaber?

• Nope, not one
    • Yes I definately have had one
    • I've had several

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So I decided to build my General Grevious Starfighter when it arrived without reviewing it (there's been enough all ready). I noticed on thing, one of the blue lightsabers had no bubble. I've been collecting lightsabers since at least 2002 and not once have I noticed this before.

What I want to know is, has this ever happened to you before?

Can you remember what set it was from?

Here's a picture if you're not sure what I'm on about.

5419638552_fea58b01ab_z.jpg

After seeing your picture I just had to go and look. :grin: I do have at least one that has no bubble though it came in my Freeco speeder. Never notice that before. Nice catch.

Edited by Masked Builder

I have a few, and I give them to my favorite figures. They look better, the bubbles make the lightsabers look like lavalamps.

At some point I spoke to one of the part designers / engineeers at TLG and we started talking about the light sabres.

He actually wondered why they've been producing them with bubbles all along.

No other trans parts are allowed to have bubbles and it's actually more difficult to produce them with bubbles than with no bubbles as the plastic is stretched and cut for the bars. Unlike other parts which are injection molds.

I have quite a few reds, a couple greens, at least one blue, and a pair of oranges.

Were the orange ones by any chance from the podracer set?

I had a look at my only one (ones been missing for years now) but it still has a small bubble in it. I wonder if we'll ever know the real reason and whether these apparant new colours will be bubble-less or not.

At some point I spoke to one of the part designers / engineeers at TLG and we started talking about the light sabres.

He actually wondered why they've been producing them with bubbles all along.

So even one of the part designers can't explain the existence of these bubbles in the lightsabers?

I have plenty of lightsaber bar pieces, but still haven't encountered a non-bubbled one.

No other trans parts are allowed to have bubbles

I have a 4-tall bar with the stud receptor on the bottom in trans-clear, and it has a couple bubbles in it.

Were the orange ones by any chance from the podracer set?

Yes.

I counted all mine here it goes

Purple- 2/2 with bubbles

Green- 6/8 with bubbles

Blue- 7/9 with bubbles

Red -1/5 with bubbles

I'm pretty sure the bubbles are random, but most of my really old lightsabers had bubbles.

I have about 10 or so light sabers and 4 of them are bubble free, three I got from the general grevious set and one from the asoka's star fighter.

I have had one that i think was in some sort of fighter set with Anakin Sky walker in it with R2D2

I got three in the T6 Jedi Shuttle alone! But I don't think I have any more.

I have removed my vote, because on closer inspection, I have several :blush:

Out of the nine lightsabers I own only one is bubble-less, one of the lightsabers from the latest Landspeeder set. Hmm.

No other trans parts are allowed to have bubbles and it's actually more difficult to produce them with bubbles than with no bubbles as the plastic is stretched and cut for the bars. Unlike other parts which are injection molds.

Well... you're pointing out that there's two different techniques, I don't see why it's a wonder they produce different results.

The bars are a bit thicker than your average piece, too.

I've rarely seen them without bubbles, but I'd have to go look at home to count. I've bought numerous bars, both trans and otherwise, separately, too. The trans all seem to have bubbles - I'd say the opaque ones probably do, too, you just can't see them.