grindinggears

Wheeled Excavator MOC using an INSANE gearbox

Hi there

I want to present my latest model to you. Making a video for it was a first to me but it even is HD and I hope you will like it!

public01.jpg

This my most complex MOC so far. I have done the first sketches half a year ago but there have been many difficulties and distractions interrupting the building process. Now I am glad to have finished the model and all the photographing and video editing (this is a first for me) work.

The model is a wheeled excavator. It is powered by only 3 motors, 2 LAs and some pneumatic stuff because my parts collection is not too big (yet). This setup needed a really unique way of transferring power to realize all the nine functions that a real wheeled excavator has (including dozer blade, outriggers but no two-section-boom).

public16.jpg

This is made possible by a complex gearbox that transferres the drive of a single XL-Motor to four different functions independently. These functions (compressor, boom LA, dipper LA, slewing) are toggled by gear levers which provide precise control over the model.

The undercarriage houses two motors driving and steering the model remotely. The compressor fills an airtank supplying the bucket tilt, the rear outriggers and the dozer blade with pressure.

The whole model is pretty small for its number of functions and there is absolutely NO space left to add anything more.

Controlling the machine works quite well although it uses a mix of LA-driven and pneumatically actuated motion for the digging arm. In the video below you can see it digging white beans.

You can see all the pictures in my Brickshelf gallery(once moderated) or on my blog. The

should be embedded below. If it doesn’t work, there is a copy on vimeo.

You can read the full blogpost on my blog in English or in German!

I will be glad to hear your critiques and comments!

GrindingGears

Edited by grindinggears

Wow! Amazing MOC GrindingGears!

So many functions packed in so little space is a great achievement!

Keep up with the good work!

Nice, but aren't you exaggerating a bit? If this gearbox is insane, then how would you call Misha van Beek's automatic one, or one that can have 10 speeds or more from a single motor?

10gearbox1.jpg

More

I appreciate the effort you have put in this MOC and the fact that you're proud of it, but one should avoid overstatement thinking of own work. After all, doing something perfect or top-of-the-line means that you can't possibly improve, can you?

I don't think he meant it as his gearbox is the bestest gearbox ever, but if I understand it right his is also different that rather than just affecting speeds his powers completely different functions, kinda like having 4 diffferent Outputs if I'm understanding it correctly.

Mike

I don't think he meant it as his gearbox is the bestest gearbox ever, but if I understand it right his is also different that rather than just affecting speeds his powers completely different functions, kinda like having 4 diffferent Outputs if I'm understanding it correctly.

You are, but that's not the point. I have simply expressed my personal feeling that it's best to let the others be the judges of your work. It's good to be proud of what you did, but expressions such as "insane" are hardly neutral and may not be appreciated by everyone.

You are, but that's not the point. I have simply expressed my personal feeling that it's best to let the others be the judges of your work. It's good to be proud of what you did, but expressions such as "insane" are hardly neutral and may not be appreciated by everyone.

Totally agree. What's nicer: saying your own work is good or hearing someone else say it's good (which is less likely when you've said it yourself first) ?

BTW, nice model. Impressive functionality for the size.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

I really don't see him saying that his MOC is good anywhere in his description :sceptic:

Edited by Meatman

Thanks for all the comments!

@ Sariel and Jurgen

Sorry, I didn't know that insane is a positive word and I didn't want to judge the model by myself. I wanted to express that my concept of powering the model's functions is really different from what I think would be a normal solution. Naturally you would put one motor to each function. The problem for me was when thinking about an excavator: I only have three motors and I wanted the model to drive too. So I had to find a new and more complex solution. By calling the gearbox insane I mean that the whole concept is pretty awkward.

I am not too proud of my MOC as I see enough things that I could have done better and I don't want to judge it with the words I use.

@ Zblj

Well, the video really got long. I am new to editing videos so I was kind of unexperienced in filming and putting the material together. I will make the next video shorter. Can you give me an advice for the still frames (I mean those where there is text on a black background): How long should I make them? Currently they are 4-5 sec which might be too long.

Sorry, I didn't know that insane is a positive word and I didn't want to judge the model by myself. I wanted to express that my concept of powering the model's functions is really different from what I think would be a normal solution. Naturally you would put one motor to each function. The problem for me was when thinking about an excavator: I only have three motors and I wanted the model to drive too. So I had to find a new and more complex solution. By calling the gearbox insane I mean that the whole concept is pretty awkward.

I am not too proud of my MOC as I see enough things that I could have done better and I don't want to judge it with the words I use.

Then it was my misunderstanding of the context of the word insane that started the whole thing - I apologize. The very concept you're referring to is not that unusual, as it's been the very core of the recent Lego 8043 excavator (4 motors, 6 functions). Still, you have plenty of reasons to be proud, as this is a well built, complex and neatly thought-through MOC.

Edited by Sariel

grindinggears, you should be proud of each and every one of your creation, no matter how good or bad it is. At the end every creation is sum of various experiences.

Model is good, there is always ways to make it better, of course, but with three motors, I think it is pretty good!

So indeed you meant something else than I understood. Sorry if I offended you, I never meant to. But still you created a very nice compact model, with lots of functionality. So you did a good job. Keep on building !

As a late christmas gift and reward for finishing my own one I bought the official 8043 excavator.

It really is the number one official model of ALL TIME!!!

Here it is in comparison to my own excavator:

post-9636-129718655509.jpg

I spent some hours playing and tinkering around with it. I implemented the mods of Out Of Sight and later switched to the bucket mod of Jurgen's Ultimate 8043. Many thanks to both of you, it operates really smooth now!

More pictures are available on my Flickr channel

In the next days I will disassemble both excavators and start working on a hydraulic system. Of course I will post pictures of the naked gearbox.

Edited by grindinggears

* sorry for double posting *

I have taken apart the excavator and took some photos of the naked gearbox. In the front left the compressor can be seen.

gearbox24.jpg

Click here to view all photos in my flickr channel in better quality

I have taken apart the excavator and took some photos of the naked gearbox. In the front left the compressor can be seen.

Everyone can of course have their own opinion, but in MY opinion, that gearbox meets the criterion for "insane". That's a lot of gears. I love it.

As a side note, I'm also amazed at how different the old and new grays look in this lighting. I always have trouble telling the difference between light gray and light bley on small parts.