Sign in to follow this  
Dan Church

MOC: The Outer Wall

indexed.gif

This glorious Kingdom is protected by a vast wall from invaders and other dangers of the outside world. It also serves as an unofficial border of prosperity and health. The kingdom holds some of the most fertile land known, but on the other side of the wall exists a desolate landscape littered with half dead trees and formerly battle wounded soldier. That land of nothing borders the entire eastern wall for miles. As the peaceful peasants farm their land and care for their livestock, life struggles to exist just mere yards away.

img_0412.jpg

img_0420.jpg

img_0422.jpg

img_0421.jpg

More images at my MOCpages Post.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Wow, that's a really neat wall design.

Must copy this for future reference.

This is fantastic, to the wall, to the scenes, to the little details like the cross and the cotton. Great work. :thumbup:

Really nice work, Dan Church. :thumbup:

I like the clean wall design, with those tiles. :classic:

And the cotton is also a nice touch.

the Inventor

I am very partial to that wall, the ramparts are excellently done as well, and the non-straight baseplate helps avoid a sense of blandness. One other note, excellent use of the unlit torches, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but it is quite fitting for a day-time scene and adds a touch of realism. Far too often if there is a torch in a MoC there seems to be a magic rule that says it must be aflame, so bravo to you.

Excellent MOC Dan! I love the idea of the dual sides featuring contrasting scenes. The SNOT build of the wall is very well-executed too. Impressive work overall! :thumbup: Just curious though, what vegetation are those white round 1x1 bricks supposed to represent?

Just curious though, what vegetation are those white round 1x1 bricks supposed to represent?

It was supposed to be cotton, but I couldn't remember if that was a legitimate textile source in medieval europe. Oh well.

Wow. I read the description at the start of the post, but didn't expect to actually see the other side of the wall. Then I scrolled down and the photo came up and I was stunned!

While the scene only shows a small portion of the wall and the land it divides, it conveys so much story. I feel it's really a case of a few picture being worth thousands of words :classic:

And the SNOT technique used on the walls is great!

Fantastic work, Dan, two thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup:

Question: before building a MOC like this, do you make sketches or something, or do you start out with a (clear?) idea and just start building and see where it takes you?

This is great! The use of tiles for the wall makes for the best stonework I've seen on a wall.

See, this is a good MOC. I must take notes! I love the way you've added flair to the wall with your SNOT tiling, and the torch holders. <jots down some notes...> :grin: I also like the stark contrast between the two sides, and the subtle details. For example, how the side flourishing with life still has a sign of death with the grave, and the side wallowing in death and decay bears a sign of life with the traveller and his wee companion. I like this MOC, I really do. Great job, Mr Church! :thumbup:

Beautiful piece of borders on both sides. I didn't expect the green and dark in-between the fort. It is so nicely done. I got to learn some of your MOCing skills and learn how to build it nice. :blush:

I really like this, both for the well executed techniques (which are flawless), but also for the whole concept I am reading in this (Light against Dark) excellent work. The SNOT masonry looks gorgeous but, and this is not a criticism, I would have liked to see it for the whole wall (and not just the parapet). It is because seeing the 'goodness' of the top, I would like to see it for the lower portion. But all in all, this is just an excellent concept, which has been built nicely :thumbup: .

One other note, excellent use of the unlit torches, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but it is quite fitting for a day-time scene and adds a touch of realism. Far too often if there is a torch in a MoC there seems to be a magic rule that says it must be aflame, so bravo to you.

This is a really good observation, and so true. Thanks for bringing it up, I always feel the need to add that flame piece! But thinking about it, none of my MOC are supposed to be set in the night! Definitely given me something to think about in the future!

It was supposed to be cotton, but I couldn't remember if that was a legitimate textile source in medieval europe. Oh well.

Given the context (as this is pure fantasy), I don't think it matters at all!

Great work! Love the details. I'm just curious: what backpack is that farmer wearing? Its really cool!

I love this! The juxtaposition of "civilised" inside and "wasteland" outside is met perfectly. The structure of the wall and watchtower convey an aura of vigilance I rarely encountered in likeminded MOCs.

And then all the little deco-details: the dead tree and stabbed warrior's skeleton, ox skull*, small wooden cross, that shadowy wanderer and especially that little colourful detail made up of gold and dark-blue 1x1 rounds* are fantastic! (* may I "borrow" these for my little undertaking? ;-) )

Another aspect I love is the scenes base. The way either side almost organically forms an ovoid shape and fades to the edges is brilliant and so. very. copyable. (Is that actually a word? ;-D )

Keep up bringing us good stuff like this!

Heartful thanks to you Dan Church, you made my day!

Be well all!

Cutty

Very nice MOC Dan. I love the constrast between the outside and the inside of the fortification.

Nice work, Dan Church. I like the structure of the tiling on the outside of the walkway, and I agree with Tabris on the great contrast between both sides of the wall.

Extremly Nice work Dan Church ! :thumbup:

This is a great MOC, I simply love the walls ! and Not only have you created two completely different sides of the wall, but the contrast between them is just so outstanding and fitting that it looks like two dimensions have been combined. Two completely different worlds are thrown together gently and form this amazing creation.

As iamded has stated, there are in both "worlds" abit of the other side of the wall.

I truly love this MOC ! :wub:

And as that lost travelerer would say "The Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" :laugh:

I think your Moc incorporates that quote perfectly !

That's really cool, loving the lil details and I especially like the split lands, it just looks so awesome :thumbup:

I also like the curved fence and the cotton patch :classic:

Spotty dog :thumbup:

Edited by CptMugwash

A really nice creation Dan, I love the contrast between within the kingdom and the outer waste land. The wall detailing is nice, though feels like it could be just a smidge higher.

Cool! I like the contrast between the barren wasteland and the happy villagers. The SNOT walls are nice the poses are cool, nice! That backpack is nice but the wanderer is scary :oh3: .

Edited by Scorpiox