Review: 7779 The Batman Dragster: Catwoman Pursuit

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Outstanding!
    • Above average.
    • Average.
    • Below average.
    • Poor!

- Commissioner Gordon to Batman! Do you copy?

- Yes, Commissioner?

- Catwoman has been spotted driving downtown to Hill Valley Street!

- What has she stolen?

- Um…. Well…. Nothing, it seems….

- I’m on it, Jim!

page_1.jpg

(The pic is an official box art one.)

Set Number: 7779

Name: The Batman Dragster: Catwoman Pursuit

Theme: Batman

Year of Release: 2006

Pieces: 92

Minifigs: 2

Price: $10 USD

Brickset, Bricklink, Peeron parts inventory

The theme was a blast. It was something fans like me could only dream about and in year 2006 it happened. LEGO actually launched another licensed theme in association with DC Comics and the name of it was Batman!

The theme had several waves and lasted for two full years. As a result we got 13 sets: ranging from average to awesome. We also got some very good and unique minifigs. But what is even more important that we got a theme that still inspires LEGO fans to be making MOCs, custom figures, comic stories and stop motion films about the adventures of the Caped Crusader.

Today I would like to share some of my ideas about the smallest set of Wave 1.

The Box

page_2.jpg

The box is rather small if we compare it to other ones of the theme, but big enough to catch an eye on the toy store shelf. The thing that I always liked about Batman boxes is the style. That set is done in black-violet color scheme which works pu-u-urfectly for Catwoman. :laugh:

In the top right corner we see a Batman symbol, which first appeared in Tim Burton’s 1989 "Batman" movie, and later was intensively used in the Batman: The Animated Series cartoons (BTAS for short). I guess it has been done because it is one of the most popular symbols, however, in later waves the insignia was changed.

On the left bottom corner we see a DC Comics symbol, which I really like a lot. No idea why I like it so much.

The side of the box shows the minifigs in their actual size and gives some boring and not important information!

page_3.jpg

The back of the box shows playing features of the set, focusing, however only on the Dragster for some reason.

The interesting thing is that the pictures come in boxes that give an impression of a comic story. They show a rotating front gun of the Dragster, but I don't know why Batman would be using guns. (Some may argue that it’s not a gun, but in other Batman and Exo-Force sets the same design is used for one.)

You can also see a moving front wheels feature as well as the dreaded flick fire missiles, which back in 2006 were actually Technic axles.

page_4.jpg

A comic story is another great thing about the theme. Most of them are pretty short but give nice plots for the game and show the characters of the heroes and villains. Catwoman, stealing a gem and luring Batman to kiss her, and Batman pursuing her is just what a person who has never heard of them needs to know about their complex relations.

Interesting and unusual parts

page_6.jpg

There can hardly be many new or unusual parts in such a small set, but LEGO managed to give us some new molds and colors. Back in 2006 pearl gold was a new color and we get several pieces in it. The windscreen was also a new mold for me, though some Exo-Force and City fans may easily prove me wrong, I guess.

Sticker sheet

page_7.jpg

The sticker sheet is more or less tolerable here and even if you do not apply them (like me) the set won’t look blank and boring. I can’t really think of many uses for the stickers apart from Batman MOCs. However the eyes could be used in some mystical Castle MOCs.

Instructions booklet

page_8.jpg

The booklet I got in the set was a bit battered (heh!), but it is typical nowadays for most LEGO sets, so I don’t mind anymore. The back of instructions shows a different picture from the one that can be seen nowadays. Kids back in 2006 were not shouting at you from every last page! :hmpf_bad:

page_9.jpg

Here’s a random page of the booklet. Nothing special really, the build is pretty simple. No interesting or unusual techniques. However, what could we expect from such a small set?

page_10.jpg

While making a review I was amazed to see that TLC actually gave us two alternative models. I was pretty sure that giving alternatives was something that TLC stopped doing in the beginning of 2000-s, so I was pretty glad to find out that I was wrong. Here we have a decent looking Bat-cart and Bat-flyer.

The Minifigs

I suppose the minifigs are now becoming the main reason I buy LEGO sets. In that matter LEGO Batman was a superb theme, because practically each set had a unique minifig. For example, Catwoman never made an appearance in any other set.

page_11.jpg

Batman has a BTASesque outfit, which can be seen in many other sets and is not very interesting. He does not even have any batarangs with him! Or Bat-cuffs! How on earth was he going to tame such a wild cat as Catwoman?

I always felt a bit sad about the fact that Batman never had a double face. However, when I come to think about it now, what could it possibly be like? One grumpy face, the other even grumpier?

page_12.jpg

Catwoman looks superb. Despite the fact that her motorcycle looks a bit cheesy, almost 60-s style, TLC made her pretty modern-looking and very comic-like.

Catwoman does have a double face, which is very neat. Her “normal” head looks as if she’s plotting something, or being sarcastic towards somebody. I really like the face, but to my taste the eyebrows are somewhat odd and have a strange shape. Oh well, I never liked Batman’s taste anyway!

What really disappoints me about the set, and in my opinion is a big flaw, is a lack of stolen treasure for Catwoman. I mean, a ruby, a crystal or some other item of a kind would make sense since Batman should be pursuing her for some reason, shouldn’t he?

The Dragster

page_13.jpg

The Dragster has always been one of the most controversial vehicles in the whole line for me. I know that some hate it and some say that it has a very sleek design. To me it has always been a part of a never-after-released-Batmobile. Have I gone mad? What am I talking about? Have a look for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SqwMMj2wvA&feature=related

See? See? Well, the Dragster could have been a great part of a bigger and better model. Actually, that would make sense since adding parts that, when combined, form some unique item is a usual thing with DC Batman action figures. But I guess, it’s wishful thinking in LEGO.

page_14.jpg

The front part can rotate practically 360 degree which should give us an impression of its fantastic maneuverability. I however find it a bit odd. Perhaps, it’s just me.

page_15.jpg

Interesting that the exhaust fire is exactly the same size as the one on Catwoman’s motorcycle. Energy efficiency!

I always found it amusing how Batman used open fire exhaust engines for his vehicles. Does he look more menacing that way? Or does he use it to burn clowns like in the "Batman Returns" film? If so, it’s ok with me. I HATE CLOWNS!

page_16.jpg

The color scheme is pretty neat with that shining black and gold, as well as the overall sleek and blade-like design. The Dragster has a Tim Burton Batman insignia on it, though the Batman in the set has a different one on the chest. I wouldn’t say it’s a big flaw, still quite noticeable.

Catwoman’s Motorcycle

page_17.jpg

I don’t think I can say much about the motorcycle. It is a standard “police” mold, which comes in a rare and beautiful purple color. I have about 3-4 of those now, and they can easily be used not only for Catwoman but for Joker’s goons as well, taking into account his love for the color.

The motorcycle has somewhat 60-s style look when heroes and villains used to use that kind of transport pretty intensively. Take Adam West Batman or Batgirl for example.

What I really like about the simple design is the way the side mirrors have been made to look like cat ears. Simple, plain, yet so stylish and neat looking! As for the flaws, it’s the fire at the back. I suppose it’s pretty silly looking with a clip holding it. Still you can easily mod it, of course.

Spare parts

page_18.jpg

There are obviously not many spare parts in such a small set, so nothing really special here.

Play features

I suppose that this set has pretty good potential for play, in addition to vrooming and whooshing the vehicles around.

page_19.jpg

First of all it’s the gun on the front. Earlier I did show my doubts about Batman using guns. In fact I wouldn’t wish to be in Catwoman’s or any other villain’s place should Batman be pursuing me on this thing. If he opens fire with that thing he can easily blast the motorcycle (and several nearby cars) to pieces! And taking into account how well the front part rotates. The area under fire will be pretty broad.

page_20.jpg

The second major play feature is the flick-fire Technic missiles, which are pretty fun in the set, even though I always hated them. If you put them horizontally and start driving the Dragster at a high speed, when you decide to hit the brakes, they will fly out automatically. Blasting the Dragster to bits! I’m sure that it’s some kind of clever anti-hijacking system, not just a flaw in the design.

page_21.jpg

Unlike the Dragster, the motorcycle has no special features or armament. Just Catmoman and her whip. I wonder how she would try to fight Batman with that? Still, I’m pretty sure she’ll find a way to get away.

Chase Me

If pursuing Catwoman day and night and blasting Gotham with guns and rockets is ok with kids, TFOLs and AFOLs require more complex and less trivial plots.

When I first got the set I immediately thought that it would be just great for making scenes like in the short but very stylish movie “Chase me”, which came as a bonus material with my favourite “Mystery of Batwoman” film (featuring me in the main role!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19qdCEPFz4w

Ratings

Design: 3/5 – I gave it an average grade mostly because of the Dragster. It is good, yes, but still could be improved or replaced by some other proper vehicle with the same bricks quantity.

Build: 3/5 The build is average as well. No interesting techniques, apart from the gun design. Still I imagine that it was pretty popular in Exo-Force sets at the time, so it’s not unique to the theme either.

Minifigs: 4/5 Catwoman fig is exclusive to the set and is just perfect interpretation of the character. Batman is pretty plain and as stated above in the review doesn’t match the Tim Burton Batman insignia. Yes, I’m being picky!

Playability: 5/5 – Despite certain flaws in the design, the set is pretty playable for both kids and adults. Catwoman-Batman relations never get old!

Parts: 4/5 – A decent collection of parts and bits, nothing special, nothing outstanding. I gave it a 4 for the lack of Batman accessories and catwoman’s stolen jem.

Price:5/5 – 92 bricks in a licensed set? In a playable set? For 10 bucks!? Yes, please! The grass was green and the sky was blue in 2006.

Overall: 4/5 – The set is a definite must-buy for every person who’s interested in the theme. However nowadays you should also have around $100 to get one. Yep, prices for Batman sets are hitting the roof, still my advice would be to get them now, because later they will be even higher.

All images can be found in my brickshelf folder.

page_22.jpg

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

One of mine favourite set which I regret to pick this up for more! I am glad this is in my limited Batman collection which I own and getting this is mainly because of the exclusive Catwoman together with the purple bike that is featured in this small set.

I don't really like the Dragster but the overall character appeals attracts me. Thanks The Penguin for putting this in fresh perspective. :wink:

Superb set for the price. What can you get for ten notes nowadays!!??

Awesome review again Penguin. I so wish this theme would return. Do you think theres a chance for the final film?

Excellent review! The minifigs and vehicles in this set are detailed and accurate. There are some interesting parts in this set, such as the Dark Purple motorbike. :thumbup:

Extremely well done on the review. :classic:

~buddy~

Snappy info and bad jokes... make for a great review! :laugh:

The worst part about the Batman theme was no Batgirl :(

Edited by DrNightmare

Great review. I always wanted this set, but I could never find it in stores! Curse you shoddy Canadian store stocks!

Another neat review ThePenguin! At US$10 when it was released, this simply was the best-valued set in the Batman line, considering you'll get Batman and the exclusive Catwoman fig (never mind how simple the build of the vehicles are, they are good source of parts anyway).

Penguin: I have not commented previously on your outstanding Batman reviews, but you've really shared/created some nice ones. I love your graphics, colors, and text boxes/call outs.

This was my first Batman set, and while I think the set is really more of an introductory type, it offers one of the best LEGO minifigs (IMO), Catwoman.

The set is probably an average one at a reasonable price, but for play and fun, I'm sure the kiddies loved it. I do like the purple cycle and the set offers a few nice Batman elements. I may have to break this one out of the box and revisit some of these nice Batman sets that you've taken time to review.

Thanks for taking the time to provide a quality review.

One of mine favourite set which I regret to pick this up for more! I am glad this is in my limited Batman collection which I own and getting this is mainly because of the exclusive Catwoman together with the purple bike that is featured in this small set.

I don't really like the Dragster but the overall character appeals attracts me. Thanks The Penguin for putting this in fresh perspective. :wink:

Thank you, WhiteFang! ) :classic:

It's the kind and talented members of this community that inspire me to make my MOCs and revies, so thank you all, people! ) :sweet:

Superb set for the price. What can you get for ten notes nowadays!!??

Awesome review again Penguin. I so wish this theme would return. Do you think theres a chance for the final film?

I strongly doubt that, but I too hope that the theme will return occasionally! :classic:

Thank you very much! ) :thumbup:

Excellent review! The minifigs and vehicles in this set are detailed and accurate. There are some interesting parts in this set, such as the Dark Purple motorbike. :thumbup:

Extremely well done on the review. :classic:

Thank you very much! ) :classic:

Snappy info and bad jokes... make for a great review! :laugh:

The worst part about the Batman theme was no Batgirl :(

Um, thank you.

You think so? Yes, we did miss her, but instead got several other characters I never expected to see, frankly. :classic:

Great review. I always wanted this set, but I could never find it in stores! Curse you shoddy Canadian store stocks!

Thank you! ) :classic: I also had to order those, since they were never sold in Russia. )

Another neat review ThePenguin! At US$10 when it was released, this simply was the best-valued set in the Batman line, considering you'll get Batman and the exclusive Catwoman fig (never mind how simple the build of the vehicles are, they are good source of parts anyway).

Thank you very much! ) :classic:

Penguin: I have not commented previously on your outstanding Batman reviews, but you've really shared/created some nice ones. I love your graphics, colors, and text boxes/call outs.

This was my first Batman set, and while I think the set is really more of an introductory type, it offers one of the best LEGO minifigs (IMO), Catwoman.

The set is probably an average one at a reasonable price, but for play and fun, I'm sure the kiddies loved it. I do like the purple cycle and the set offers a few nice Batman elements. I may have to break this one out of the box and revisit some of these nice Batman sets that you've taken time to review.

Thanks for taking the time to provide a quality review.

Ah, thank you very much, TheBrickster! ) :sweet:

That is very kind of you! :blush:

Well my comic-like manner of presenting MOCs seems to have rooted in my reviews as well. I'm glad the community likes that. ) :classic:

I hope you'll like the upcoming reviews as well. )

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Ah, obviously this is one of my favourites. I was lucky to find a new set for 20€ a few years ago.

I really with they'd resume the Batman theme. I'd buy all of the sets I don't have yet :D

Hey, I really like all these Batman set reviews that you're doing, Penguin - big wave of nostalgia here. Well, this was at a point where licensed sets were starting to become really expensive, and this small set didn't look very worth the money to me. I already had a Catwoman minifig from the magnet set, and I bought the instruction booklet loose. But I eventually caved in and bought it. I liked it, it was cute, but it did indeed feel like they could've done a better small vehicle for Batman rather than the awkward dragster we had here. I share your sentiments about all the guns mounted on all of Batman's vehicles - the gatling gun construction method with the binoculars is very clever, but Batman isn't so much a fan of lethal force as he is of deterrent force. There's a difference! Here's an alternate model I made from the parts in this set (okay, I sneaked in the propeller from another set):

batman_light_attack_batboat.jpg

Edited by Jedd the Jedi

I wish I had gotten this set when it came out. The dragster looks cool, I'm a sucker for sleek when it comes to Batman's various mobiles. Plus that Catwoman minifig is tasty. The Hush costume is a good modern choice, goes well with that devious look on her face. Checking out the prices for her on eBay is a sad endeavor. I guess I am to remain Catwoman-less, unless they revive the license for the 3rd Nolan film.

Thanks 'The Penguin' for this review from your sub......interesting little set eh ? :wink:

Now I like the purple bike the most, but second would be the chain gun on the front of Bat's dragster.....nice....firepower ! :devil:

Gee, Catwoman likes wearing skintight gear and using that whip ? :devil:

Now do we have anymore reviews Penguin, because they are fantastic to read and highly entertaining !

Keep on Bat-bricking ! :grin:

Great review Mr. Penguin :thumbup: Batman is my favorite, non-super, super hero but, this set seams a bit odd to me. I'm not thrilled, maybe a little confused with it's concept. I get the chase part but, a Dragster... a motorcycle... in 'Gotham'? 2+2=chair? Batman is always chasing somebody, just not a quarter mile at a time and never in a straight line. i get they are both quick, except when it comes to making that right turn at the light. A long wheel base car against this little bike just seems like kinda crazy. Then again the Tumbler is a tank that drives like a Corvette. Besides the B-man has an assortment of better handling vehicles. Not real sure what TLG was going for here but, hey its not going to appeal to everyone, except for the purp bike, I'd take one and lose the flame :classic: