Legoless

Still in the 'Dark Ages' but...

Hello all,

I've been lurking on this and other similar sites for many months now- I was doomed to become hooked on what for me has to be a 'virtual hobby' for the time being- until I find a job anyway and can start building up a collection again!

I am 41 years old and from the West Country in England. I was an avid Lego fan for all of my childhood- despite the fact that I am dyspraxic- most dyspraxic kids shun construction toys like the plague but I loved the fact that even with somewhat limited manual dexterity, I could clip together pieces of Lego to really let my imagination soar.

Of course, that was back in the 70's and 80's when the Lego colour palette and parts catalogue was far more limited to how it is now. I had quite a lot of Lego, much of it old even at the time, so I had to use my imagination to overcome the lack of parts to produce more ambitious models- a great way to learn and develop lateral thinking skills. I had bits of blue 4.5volt train and some 12v grey- but of course I couldn't motorise the whole track system so I built push trains and townscapes, as well as some Technic models. Bet that 12v stuff with the motor and transformer are worth a bit now!

I played with Lego surreptitiously until I was about 16 (by then I was embarrassed to be seen playing with toys), and then I had to move out without the Lego- so that was the end of my Lego playing days. Really missed the Lego- it was perhaps the ultimate escapism for me.

Almost a year ago, I stumbled upon a YouTube of a Lego meet in America- where members of various Lugs had combined to make a super-sized layout- and I was absolutely blown away by what I saw! Thereafter, I've been lurking on sites like this, downloading Railbricks, etc, but since I don't own any Lego (and I don't get on with LDD), I haven't joined up until now. Guess I don't want to miss out any longer!

As soon as I get back into employment (not easy at the moment) and cleared some bills I intend to start building up my collection. I do look out for Lego in charity shops (which was where much of my childhood collection came from- Lego should always be recycled methinks). I've cetainly picked up a hell of a lot of inspiration from you guys and will be looking to raise my game far above the standard of models I was producing as a kid.

Real life interests- transport, current affairs, literature, film and music.

Hello Legoless, welcome to Eurobricks. (can't believe I'm the first to greet you after almost 24h)

I think, owning or buying Lego is no prerequisite to be out of the Dark Ages. They end the very moment you realize that you still love those bricks.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and have fun.

PM

Welcome to Eurobricks Legoless. Funny choice of name! :tongue: I hope you can get your hands on some LEGO soon. And good luck with the job search.

Hello Legoless! Your name reminds me of a joke I told my dad once:

"Dad, I feel bad for Legolas"

"Why, VonNebula?"

"Because he has no Legos!"

Many thanks for the warm welcomes!

As I've said, I've been lurking on this site for months- its nice to be able to actually contribute- even if all of the MOCs I'd like to dazzle you all with are only in my head...

Many thanks for the warm welcomes!

As I've said, I've been lurking on this site for months- its nice to be able to actually contribute- even if all of the MOCs I'd like to dazzle you all with are only in my head...

So get it out of your head and put into bricks, man!

Come on, go into a store, like, right now, and buy the first set you put your eyes on! I left Lego for reasons similar to yours, and some years ago I came back to collecting toys. My GIJoe collection is getting bigger and bigger, and from last year on I'm also collecting Lego -- and I'm not leaving it!

My parents found it a little awkward at first, and to be quiet honest they still do, but I pay my on bills, so I can have whatever hobby I feel like.

Oh, and welcome to Eurobricks, too. Place is great, and the community is even better. :classic:

Welcome, Legoless, your story is interesting. I guess the Lego bricks helped you to improve your own manuality despite your problem. Another reason to be proud of our beloved bricks :cry_happy::thumbup: .

Edited by Plastic Nurak

Welcome! Here's wishing that finding proper employment doesn't remain an obstacle for much longer! But I wonder, once you're up and running with your collection and MOCs, how will we still be able to call you Legoless? :D

Looking forward to seeing you (and your future MOCs) around!

Welcome to EB legoless! I hope your username losed its meaning soon. Enter any raffles, and be sure when you do get some sets to enter TLGs 'WIN!' contests. :sweet: