Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Retro 1966 Batboat

I've always liked the LEGO Batman theme and lately I've been admiring some of the minifigures as well as Batman Hotwheels and models.

While at my local TRU, I was looking at a small replica of the 1966 Batboat and thought to myself, "I'd love to try building that with LEGO".

Not the easiest creation to build as my supply of blue tiles are VERY meager, I tried using some SNOT techniques to capture a more streamlined look of the boat. I'm still not quite satisfied with the front-end and I will certainly share some more pictures, but here is my 1966 Batboat:

batboat1e.jpg

After building, I thought I would add a stand to the model, so here is a picture with rotating stand (with white background):

batboat2.jpg

The decals and wording have not been photo-edited and are custom made and printed on an HP printer:

EDIT: Additional Images

Looking down on the Batboat:

batboat3.jpg

Within the cockpit are the intrument panels/gauges, as well as diving gear:

batboat4.jpg

Toward the back, you can see the large flame piece and engine exhaust:

batboat5.jpg

Another side view:

batboat8.jpg

And the inspiration image:

batboat7.jpg

EDIT:

Some additional images:

batboat1g3.jpg

In front of Old Gotham Harbor

retrobatboatdiversback.jpg

With Divers background

Oh very nice classic Batboad TheBrickster! You're SNOT building looks better and better by the build, as evidenced by the streamlined look of this MOC, from the front part to the bat-tail fin and even the base! Overall this is very accurate with the one in the reference image. Great job once again! :thumbup:

You're SNOT building looks better and better by the build, as evidenced by the streamlined look of this MOC

Thanks Kiel. I really appreciate the nice feedback. I'm working on the SNOT.

I'm not happy with the front-end and reconstructed it a number of times. The difficulty is raising up the front section nearest the windshields and having that section lower to the front-end smoothly. The awkward shape of the front boat section makes it even more difficult.

It's nice to see some classic Batman interpreted in Lego. Your boat is an excellent example. The techniques you have used are really effective and it looks just like the real thing :thumbup:

Thanks for Sharing :classic:

Excellent MOC! It looks just like the real thing and has a very streamlined and sleek look to it. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

It's nice to see some classic Batman interpreted in Lego.

Thanks Burman - that's nice of you to say.

has a very streamlined and sleek look to it.

Appreciate the feedback Buddy - if I could just get the front-end a little more sleek.

I wish LEGO would have made some retro style Batmobiles - and boats!

Wouldn't that be great! I'd love to see some 60s Batman sets, esp. the black and red Batmobile. That would make an awesome set!

Good lord! We seldom get Bat-MOCs nowadays, but when we do they're just awesome! :thumbup:

TheBrickster you made my day! Thank you very much for such an awesome creation. Who doesn't love Adam West Batman?

It's a shame really that there have never been any official 60-s style sets, but at least we can enjoy such creations as yours one!

P.S.

Though, frankly speaking, I don't like the vehicle much itself. Why? because back in 1966 they nearly sunk my pre-atomic penguin-sumarine! :angry:

See the boat and my sub in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eONSnhhe14U&feature=related

:cry_sad:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

Really great work,

Thanks LGG. :classic:

Good lord! We seldom get Bat-MOCs nowadays, but when we do they're just awesome! :thumbup:

Thank very much Penguin. That's a very nice compliment. Also, thank you for sharing that outstanding clip of the Batman movie. I've got it on DVD and now I want to watch it. :thumbup:

Edit:

Here's a new photo-edited image with the Batboat in Old Gotham Harbor:

batboat1g3.jpg

I saw the new photo in your signature, and I must say, as great as the first one was, this one looks much better. The grey scale tone fits perfectly the classic Batman genre where this Batboad appeared. Great job once again! :thumbup:

Yep, looks just great! :thumbup:

Such vehicle could have easilly appeared, say, in BTAS. ) :classic:

The grey scale tone fits perfectly the classic Batman genre where this Batboad appeared.

Thanks Kiel. I was going for more of a dark Gotham look. The water is a little flat, but this is about the best I could do with Photoshop water.

Yep, looks just great!

Maybe I'll try building another retro 60s model this weekend. :wink:

Picks up many details from the real thing.

Thanks for sharing that image AJ. I had printed a few images from different angles to try to capture the look of the real deal.

Appreciate the feedback guys. :classic:

Maybe I'll try building another retro 60s model this weekend. :wink:

Whirly-bat? :laugh:

Whirly-Bat_001.jpg

Edited by The Penguin

Geez, this is an unexpected surprise. I never knew you dabble with Batman MOCs. :sweet:

This is one classic built of a beautiful rendition of the 1960s Batboat. It is so clean and neat with your SNOT building technique. Excellent work. I am sure it is not easy for you to build this and it is always nice to see cool creations from you. Thanks Brickster.

I never knew you dabble with Batman MOCs.

Thanks WF. I've always been a fan of Batman, long before the LEGO theme. I loved the first wave of sets, but didn't buy a single set from the second collection. I tried building a Batcave way back when, but it was pretty basic (and probably bad).

I am sure it is not easy for you to build this

It did take a few rebuilds, esp. the front-end. It has a secret compartment in the back (for diving), but the tail has to be taken off to open it.

Here's a revised picture with Divers background:

retrobatboatdiversback.jpg

I wasn't happy with the 1966 Retro Model Boxart