AussieJimbo

MOC: Medium-sized Railway Station

Over the last few days I've been finishing off the second module in my train station build. I've continued to use Cooma railway station for inspiration, loosely basing this stage of the design on the "up" end of the building.

This module ended up being a little longer than the first, coming out at 40 studs long and includes a large baggage room, loading dock, small office and another room that may serve as a cafe or lunch room for the staff. No furniture yet, I'll be going back and doing some interior details and gardening once I've finished the module for the other end of the station.

Here's a reminder of how Cooma station looks today. So far my model is similar to the right hand two thirds of this pic.

coomastation2 (WinCE).jpg

(Small copy of CMR's image hosted on my site, click link below for original.)

http://www.cmrailway.org.au/coomastation.htm

With that introduction, I'm pleased to present these photos of my expanded railway station:

medium.station.front (Small).jpg

Large

medium.station.back.high (Small).jpg

Large

This shot provided a good reference for the build:

coomastation1 (WinCE).jpg

(Small copy of CMR's image hosted on my site, click link below for original.)

http://www.cmrailway.org.au/coomastation.htm

I changed the end section with the car outside into a covered loading dock with roller door.

medium.station.back (Small).jpg

Large

medium.station.module.parts (Small).jpg

Large

medium.station.module.front (Small).jpg

Large

medium.station.module.back (Small).jpg

Large

medium.station.module.floorplan (Small).jpg

Large

medium.station.emerald (Small).jpg

Large

Click images for Medium versions or the links below for Large.

As always any suggestions for tweaks and improvements gladly received.

For a start I need to go back and make a few updates to the first module (new foundations with one layer of black, small red stripe in rear gable, swap to dark grey 2x2 plate on chimnies.) but I'm pretty happy with how everything fits together already.

I hope you like it too.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

This is a very nice station.....it is simple but só realistic.... Sometimes, when i see a moc, i wish that i also could create things like that.... and this is one of those creations.... I really would like to add this one to my collection.....

Thank you for showing us your moc, great work!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

This really is a huge project you've got going on. I've followed the progress on your railway MOCs, and I'm getting more and more impressed. The design is very nice, and I love the uniform look on all your creations. Looking forward to seeing these in some kind of layout!

Cheers L@go.

Yeah it has turned out to be a huge project, it's certainly my biggest ever Lego model.

I'll get some shots sooner or later of the station in my temporary "on the floor" layout. Longer term I want to fit this into one of those nicely detailed town scenes.

I'm going to try some of those open back thin modular city house/city corner buildings at some stage. My next project can't be as brick intensive as this one. *eek*

Jimbo this is awesome. Between looking at the stuff you and LightningTiger build, I want to completely scrap my city an build it from scratch. I even went and picked up an apple tree house the other day when TRU sent me a 20% off coupon.

Edited by TWTaylor

Thanks TW,

I'm loving LightningTiger's work too, I want all of his buildings in my town. The comparison is a privilege.

Have you had a guess yet how many ATH's have gone into this build so far, leaving aside all the other bits and pieces?

It was nice to find out I can get a few more of those nice beige door and window frames from the log cabin sets.

Have you had a guess yet how many ATH's have gone into this build so far, leaving aside all the other bits and pieces?

It's got to be at least 5 counting the tan windows...

It's got to be at least 5 counting the tan windows...

Yeah, that is a pretty good estimate balancing things out. I've actually opened seven ATH's to date; the 3 I bought a while back as scenery with a mind to this later project and another 4 since I got started. There are seven beige framed doors in the station right now (two nabbed from the signal box and the stair tower was taken apart for doors and bricks as well).

I probably have enough roofing left for the next module and I've got plenty of white bricks but I've got one more ATH waiting. I'll need more grey bricks, red and white plates and the extra door frame. I'll probably switch to a few multiples of the log cabin next because it has the same door/window frames and the bricks and roof look promising for goods and maintenance sheds and other outbuildings.

There are also lots of train station sets (internal and external floors and platforms, black foundations, misc plates and grey) and level crossing sets (awnings, tin roofing) and miscellaneous other pieces like the red roller door carefully borrowed from the modular fire station.

Edited by AussieJimbo

G'day 'AussieJ'......I'm impressed again, just an AWESOME design it cries out NSW railways that's for sure ! :grin:

The roller door section is used for what ?

I can't wait to see the interior fixtures going in......it will make this station pop ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! 'AussieJimbo' ! :grin:

G'day 'AussieJ'......I'm impressed again, just an AWESOME design it cries out NSW railways that's for sure ! :grin:

Thanks mate. I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

The roller door section is used for what ?

It's access for a truck to reverse into the loading dock to pick up and drop off goods and parcels, etc.

Don't worry, you'll see some interiors eventually. ;-)

Thanks mate. I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

It's access for a truck to reverse into the loading dock to pick up and drop off goods and parcels, etc.

Don't worry, you'll see some interiors eventually. ;-)

Ah, small cargo, like boxed bulk roses, etc., freight that requires special treatment eh ? :grin:

I'll keep on waiting 'AussieJ' - I'm a conformist! ! :grin:

I really love this! It is a realistic size, and in realistic colours. Will look fantastic when finished and coupled with all your addons. The only thing that I can think of that it needs is dark blue slopes for the eaves. They are available for a reasonable price on bricklink, and would really continue the roof down the whole structure.

I really love this! It is a realistic size, and in realistic colours. Will look fantastic when finished and coupled with all your addons. The only thing that I can think of that it needs is dark blue slopes for the eaves. They are available for a reasonable price on bricklink, and would really continue the roof down the whole structure.

Cheers pinioncorp. Glad you like it.

I didn't realise they had those pieces in so many colours.

To be honest I would pick light grey anyway as I'm very used to seeing corrugated iron roofing and I'd want a different colour to reflect the change of material from tile to tin. Nice to know there are so many options out there though, I've only got them in light grey and yellow.

Looking at the pictures you've posted of the real station, I thought the roof was all the same. Especially at the back it looks all the same colour. But I must admit the grey continues around the whole building at the same level nicely.

I love this station, it is great. I also can't wait to see what the interiror looks like, with the way the exteriror and layout is so far it will look great im sure. I will be following this and cant wait to see what comes next.

How many emerald night coaches do you think will fit at the loading part of the station? Looks like maybe about 2 or 3. Is that right? Just kind of thinking about my stations in the future.

Another great MOC AussieJimbo :thumbup: I don't know about the description though, looks like a "large" train station :grin: This one be at least twice as big as mine! :laugh: Anyway keep up the great work!

I love this station, it is great. I also can't wait to see what the interiror looks like, with the way the exteriror and layout is so far it will look great im sure. I will be following this and cant wait to see what comes next.

How many emerald night coaches do you think will fit at the loading part of the station? Looks like maybe about 2 or 3. Is that right? Just kind of thinking about my stations in the future.

Cheers fluffybunny.

I'd say you'd get close to 3 coaches in front of the station building itself (it's 72 studs long) but the platform is longer than the building anyway.

Another great MOC AussieJimbo :thumbup: I don't know about the description though, looks like a "large" train station :grin: This one be at least twice as big as mine! :laugh: Anyway keep up the great work!

Thanks LGG.

Trouble is if I'd called this one the "Large" station I'd have to reach for even grander superlatives when I add the module on the other side of the central section. *grin*