Sign in to follow this  
Jalkow

WINTER BREAK: The Magical Tent

Hi everybody! I'm quite new here at Eurobricks, so allow me to introduce myself: I'm Jalkow, a member of Lowlug,

Classic-Castle and Forbiddencove. I'm from Holland and a big fan of Castle, City and Pirates, but basically I like every theme.

You can find my MOC's on Brickshelf and Flickr. Okay, back to the Winterbreak Contest:

The Magical Tent!

Remember how Harry & Friends were hiding from Voldemort & Friends? Well, our trio used the Magical Tent!

The one that lookes like a normal, small, little muggle-tent, but has a magically-enlarged interior?

I choose to build it for this contest. But hey, that's not a 'building', I hear you say. Wait 'till you get inside...

5390235056_c3145b16a5.jpg5389629747_e451a13ee9.jpg

Nice and cosy, isn't it? It's all there: the old radio to listen to Potterwatch, the flame in a jar, the beds, etc.

Ever since I read the books I've wanted to create this 'it-seems-small-but-the-inside-is-enormous'-feeling,

and it turned out that a lot of old finger-hinges were the best sollution. This is how the Magical Tent works:

5390235430_ab7bf41475.jpg

(I wasn't sure if I could post a video, so I skipped to pictures for it, is that okay?)

Well, that's it! I hope you like the result!

You can find all the larger images here, together with two reference-pics I used.

I'd love to hear what you think!

Edited by Jalkow

That's excellent! The way it folds open is really good, and the scenery is nice, too. The only suggestion I have is to cover up the holes that appear when it opens. I'm not sure how you'd do it, but I think it would look better. It looks great, anyway, so well done, and good luck!

Edited by Gregorovich

Great entry, very original idea and an elegant design. Really captures the feel of the movie too with the snowy exterior.

Oh btw welcome to eurobricks!

That's fantastic.The mechanism is so simple, but so effective. I'd wish you luck, but I doubt you'll need it. :thumbup::thumbup:

Clever mechanism! And the rest of the MOC is cool too. I like the fireplace and the melted snow around it! :D Great job!

i am so used to the flesh coloured Potter figures that the yellow ones realy seem strange. But thats my problem ^^ Your creation is awesome and the mechanism is very clever. i am really surprised that these are not 2 sets, but one transformable. Great work!

Welcome to the forums Jalkow! That's one nice entry you have there, I simply love the folding mechanism of the tent. Very well done and good luck on the contest!

The only suggestion I have is to cover up the holes that appear when it opens. I'm not sure how you'd do it, but I think it would look better.

It bugs me too! I tried it in many ways, but it just didn't work. There simply is no space inside the tent...

Oh btw welcome to eurobricks!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I visit Eurobricks quite often, mainly for the reviews and setnews, but I don't know why I never signed in.

This contest seems to be a good reason!

Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone! Great to hear you like it.

Fantastic entry, Jalkow! I really like it. The scenery is very nice, but the tent is of course the highlight of your entry. The surprise of the unfolding in your video is very well done, great and creative presentation. And the idea itself is just genious! Good luck in the contest. :laugh:

Excellent entry! I too particularly like the fact that the tent 'expands' and has a big inside. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Hello and Welcome on Eurobricks! Jalkow

What a nice unfolding tent did you build. :thumbup::classic:

The scenery is very nice, but the tent is of course the highlight of your entry. The surprise of the unfolding in your video is very well done, great and creative presentation. And the idea itself is just genious! Good luck in the contest. :laugh:

Thanks! I really dig how your HP-moc's always get so close to the feeling the books give me!

That's what I try too, so I really appreciate hearing that you like it!

Hello and Welcome on Eurobricks! Jalkow

Cheers! Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. :cry_happy:

What a great idea to make this tent! well developed too.

It was the developing that took the longest: drawing, trying, going back to the drawingboard, trying again, bricklinking, getting angry, trying again, faking a smile, doing some more trying and finally...

Finally! It was there! Such a relief that it turned out as I imagined. Even better! So great to hear you all like it.

This is a very ingenious build and looks great.

Really well done on the snow and surrounds. It is very funny to see Harry with a pirate torso, and I like the change of hair you gave him, I think that it suits the 'movie Harry' much better. I guess TLG didn't want to change it seeing Ron has that mold now.

Best of luck!

:shark: I'm really impressed with that neat and lever folding system. It looks good (And small enough) from the outside while closed, but It has lots of space when opened! I can see there's not many ways to fold more detail into the interior, and I would certainly never find that tightly packed a way to do it myself!