Marco86

Which is your favourite base in the Pirate LEGO theme?

I've just ended to build the set number 6270. I don't really like this... The stairs do not lead anywhere.

What's your favourite pirates' cove?

Ok, is this just the pirate bases, or do soldiers and islanders count too?

Anyways, let’s see what I can say about the pirate coves I have.

Loot Island (6240): A fine island, somewhat interesting raised plate, but not really a base.

Volcano Island (6248): Another interesting island, but again not an actual base. One of my oldest pirate sets though.

Shipwreck Hideout (6253): Brickbeard’s only real base, not bad actually, but lacks a good port unless you count the rope bridge, and the building is a bit small.

Rocky Reef (6254): Just a sandy little island.

Shipwreck Island (6260): A fine place for a couple of shipwrecked pirates, but not really a base.

Skull Island (6279): The best pirate base I have, pretty nice in general. The skull gate is of cause something that can be a make or break thing depending on if you prefer your pirates jolly and a bit cartoony or grim and realistic. I like the cartoony route, so I don’t mind the skull. You sadly can’t fully hide the rowboat inside the building and the palm tree makes a bit awkward to have something like the Skulls Eye Schooner at the port. Most bases have this problem and this is not the worst one, but the building looks very tiny compare to the bigger ships.

Shipwreck Island (6296): An actual shipwreck unlike the other set with the same name. I like the shipwreck, but it does not work very well as a main base. Waters are probably dangerous and there is no port. Another set I have had for a really long time.

The Brickmaster Book: I like the idea, like one of the old idea books, but with bricks included. It has some neat ideas, and I actually like the simple but effective pirate base from page 16.

I do not own all pirate bases, but most of the look rather interesting. But for the purpose of the all around best pirate cove I guess that I would pick the Rock Isle Refuge (6273). It is one of the biggest; it has a very accessible port and the raised base plate probably keeps it from looking too “wimpy” compared to the bigger ships.

Floating bases would be a completely different matter though.

The topic had to be all about pirates' coves but it can be extended event to which is your favourite islanders' base or soldiers' one.

I love the idea of a shipwreck hideout.I don't like 6296. The brand new Shipwreck Hideout... I really like this but it's too small.

I haven't seen Rock Island refuge before. It's probably the best pirate base so far... but it is too similar Fire Breathing Fortress.

Ok, the title just left it a bit ambiguous what bases were meant.

Well, 6296 holds quite a bit of nostalgic value for me, but I’m also clearly aware that the LEGO designs in general took a bit of a nosedive in quality around 1997/1998. It kind of a start to a grey age for me and it was the end of the pirates for many years.

I can also see why you compare the Fire Breathing Fortress and Rock Isle Refuge. They have the same base plate, similar colours and a staircase on the same location, but other than that I would say the general structure on the hill/island is rather different.

Do you mean Pirate bases or bases in the entire Pirates theme?

Either way, it's the Imperial Trading Post! It's just all piratey goodness there is combined into one single set. :monkey: Aside from the big ships, of course.

I don't completely understand why so many of you are going for 6279 Skull Island all the way, though. I mean it's not a bad set but there's something off about it. The colour scheme simply isn't really right. The red - blue - yellow. Somehow it turns me off!

Cheers

6277 Imperial Trading Post is not only the best base of the Pirates theme, but probably my favourite LEGO base of any theme. This is the set I'd love to have more than any other LEGO set, in spite of being a Castle fan before Pirates.

6277 Imperial Trading Post is not only the best base of the Pirates theme, but probably my favourite LEGO base of any theme. This is the set I'd love to have more than any other LEGO set, in spite of being a Castle fan before Pirates.

Agreed-- apart from the mighty ships themselves this is one of the crown jewels of the entire Pirates line. Bustling with activity and just waiting for pillaging!!

Personally speaking, which basically means from my own collection, I'd have to go with 6263 Imperial Outpost, which is small but serves as a nice fortress from which to plot against those dastardly pirates, or 6278 Enchanted Island, just because it's so wide open and waiting to be populated.

I'd have to go with Eldorado Fortress (6276), because it has a little bit of everything; a good sized docking area for the Caribbean Clipper (6274), a jail cell, the raised private room for the governor, a loading crane, the below ground storage area, a couple cannons for defense, and the simple but elegant architecture and color choices.

One item of note though, I've never owned the Imperial Trading Post, so I didn't consider that set.

Either way, it's the Imperial Trading Post! It's just all piratey goodness there is combined into one single set. :monkey: Aside from the big ships, of course.

I don't completely understand why so many of you are going for 6279 Skull Island all the way, though. I mean it's not a bad set but there's something off about it. The colour scheme simply isn't really right. The red - blue - yellow. Somehow it turns me off!

...I agree.

Is anybody here considering the POTC bases? 4194 is very interesting... and even 4182.

All my favorite bases come from Pirates I.

First would be the Imperial Trading Post, what a fantastic set.

But right behind it is the Eldorado Fortress...

Third would probably be Rock Island Refuge; gives the Pirates some good hang out spot as well as a place to store treasure.

And would 6278 Enchanted Island count as a fortress for the Islanders? That's a pretty good set too.

I'm curious to see how the PotC sets compare with the older ones. A base along the lines of those originally mentioned and similar in complexity of the PoP line would be pretty spectacular.

Imperial Trading Post, but I don't think it's as hands down as everyone else seems to.... I also love El Dorado Fortress.

Also honorable mention should be given to 6266-- Cannon Cove.

Edit: I'm not sure about the POTC line, they don't seem to have "bases" so much as random buildings.

Edited by Dhivael

I love Cannon Cove. Unfortunately, the POTC sets have not the same colours... I really wanted a lighthouse...

Presently, I have compbined Cannon Cove, Sabre Island and Lagoon Lock-Up.

By the way, could someone to suggest how to build a lighthouse over the Sabre Island???

For me this is the Eldorado Fortress (6276) - the design is great! It's cosy. Has rooms, a dock, a prison, everything! It looks great from all directions, not only from the front side!

My favourite imperial base is Imperial Trading Post...is GREAT! I prefer ITP to Eldorado Fortress because is bigger, and have a merchant ship

My favourite pirate base is Rock Island Refuge...a really cool set too with prison, 2 blue coats, a pirate girl, and a cool design

The Imperial Trading Post is a great set, but after recently acquiring Eldorado Fortress, I have to say its my new favorite set. It looks much more intimidating that the Trading Post and I think would fare much better fending off Pirates.

Rock Island Refuge is my favorite Pirate Base with plenty of room to plan the next treasure hunt!

Edited by Krake

The trading post is great but if you take away the boat that comes with it, it suddenly dosen't look quite as exciting as a base (still a great dock, just not a base), for me the best looking base is eldorado fortress, or the pirates skull island. both have a nice large feel to them, :pir-classic: perfect for invasion by an enemy ship

also the islanders large island set is also quite nice, a little bit of a mish mash of things, but it looks really nice, my little bro loves sailing the trading post ship from the trading post to the islander island and pretending to trade (until the pirates show up and kill everyone) and i love helping him, (its not playing when its with small people :pir_laugh2: )

I would say the best pirate base is Port Jamaica and the best imperial base is Port Royal. I've still got my original Port Royal box and it's still got it's original price tag, £41.99 from Woolworths!

For me its Eldorado Fortress for sure.

I would say the best pirate base is Port Jamaica and the best imperial base is Port Royal. I've still got my original Port Royal box and it's still got it's original price tag, £41.99 from Woolworths!

Could you please say, what sets do you exactly mean? I havent heard never about those sets or bases?

Captain Becker

Sorry, they are the uk names. I mean Rock Island Refuge and Imperial Trading post. I still find it hard to get used to the American names for sets. I think they stopped that now, and every set has the same name in country. Still, the BSB will always be the Dark Shark to me.

I vote for Eldorado Fortress (6276).

It had a little of everything:

1. A good Baseplate

2. I love the white/yellow Railings/Walls

3. The storage are under the floor

4. It is a fortress 360 degrees around

My favorite island would have to be 6277 Imperial Trading Post. I know it's not exactly a pirate hideout or base but it's defiantly the coolest island. I really like the little ship that comes with it. It is a shame it cost so much money now. :pir_bawling: If I had to pick a strictly pirate hideout i would pick 6279 Skull Island. :jollyroger:

I don't like that set either, it's ok, but that baseplate is... I hate those baseplates :pir_wacko: Old pirates sets are not very good

Eldorado was my first Lego set ever. I got it for my birthday back in the day, best present ever.

It will always my fave pirate base.

Edited by stayunspoiled

I have to go with the Imperial Trading Post, but its close. I have two ITP's set up downstairs in my "Spanish Main." One serves as Port Royal and the other as Panama (since the Spanish never really had a great lego fort) There a lot of neat small forts, like Cannon Cove, which defends the entrance to the harbor seen here...

IMAG0513.jpg

Rock Island Refuge would be a close second for me...

IMAG0514.jpg

And Shipwreck Island is very unique, especially the "hidden" compartment

IMAG0516.jpg