StoutFiles

3D theater release

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

The question is, how much effect will it have? I only bring this up because people make the claim of "well when the 3d movies come out well get a wave of sets for the movie currently in theaters."

Personally I'm not so sure. While the original rerelease was huge in the 90's, there were different factors in play.

-VHS on Tube TV compared to theater was a greater difference than DVD/BlueRay on a flat panel TV to DLP 3D conversion.

-There was a longer gap in time between the old rerelease than the new one.

-New scenes were added/edited (some good, some bad) with the old rerelease

-The OT is much more loved (hardly debatable) and an easier draw to get parents to take their kids with the old release.

-Movie tickets are more costly now, especially with 3D.

I don't think this will be as huge as Lucas thinks...I can't see myself going to any of these films at today's prices when my TV does a fine job as it is, but that's just me. TLG does seem to be bracing for a pickup in TPM sales with 3 summer sets thatll still be on the shelves come 2012. Will they go all in next winter?

I think it's obvious TLG corresponding sets with movie releases.

I would debate that OT is far more lovable, to the main audience, kids. When ROTS comes in 3D ohhhhhh boy *huh*

I predict Lego will release a series of 3D sets to coincide with the movies.

Aren't all Lego sets 3D? :tongue:

I think the rereleases are going to be cool in 3D, just a little too expensive... But it seems like TLC is going to start remaking some of the older sets, heck, they already are! Like the Podracers, Geonosian Starfighter, Ewok Attack, and the Sith Infiltrator. Some other rereleased sets would be nice too.

I predict Lego will release a series of 3D sets to coincide with the movies.

I concur.

:laugh:

I'm not so sure. Obviously, the 30th Anniversary of RotJ will take priority in 2013 with Endor BPs in 2012 or then. And TLG is rereleasing a lot of TPM sets; whether that has anything to do with the 3D releases remains to be seen. I think they'll release at least one or two, just to fill in the gaps between anniversaries. Because you only have to wait until 2017 and we start all over again with the 40th Anniversary of AnH...

'snip' Because you only have to wait until 2017 and we start all over again with the 40th Anniversary of AnH...

That just makes me feel sooo old! - Cheers :cry_sad:

Surely Star Wars being back on the big screen has got to effect Lego's releases? I'll be dragging my kids to at least the OT and it's more than likely we'll watch all six (I'm hoping to see ANH & ESB on IMAX :wub:). This could well be introducing new generations to these films, if the 3D is done well, when kids see that Star Destroyer at the beginning of ANH they might feel the same way I did back in 1977 - hooking in lifelong Star Wars and Lego fans.

You say you can't see yourself going, but once the marketing machine starts with the hype, I think it will be hard to resist. This is an EVENT and as such TLG will be selling sets off the back of it - no doubt.

Eye problems don't allow me to see well in 3-D, but come on, Star Wars on the big screen? This chance may never come along again!!

Eye problems don't allow me to see well in 3-D, but come on, Star Wars on the big screen? This chance may never come along again!!

That never occured to me. The only fSW film I saw in the theaters was RotS.... now I need to find a way to get tickets.

I tottally agree- bring on the 3D LEGO.

well, already we see quite a bit of TPM sets for this summer's release, indicating the 3D release will probably effect LEGO quite a bit

I hope :classic:

Maybe LEGO will make front of the box for SW sets in 3D (when looking with 3D glasses).

That would be really cool and attractive to kids.

Maybe LEGO will make front of the box for SW sets in 3D (when looking with 3D glasses).

That would be really cool and attractive to kids.

'cept you'd have to bring the glasses whenever you went shopping, and people who were new to LEGO might think TLG has serious printing problems. If they do anything in 3D, I'd like to see those 3D TV viewers that they have at Brand Stores for City sets.

'cept you'd have to bring the glasses whenever you went shopping, and people who were new to LEGO might think TLG has serious printing problems. If they do anything in 3D, I'd like to see those 3D TV viewers that they have at Brand Stores for City sets.

Whoops! :blush:

Maybe to do it with front of the instructions and include 3D glasses (although it would increase price).

Good question StoutFiles.

I hope we'll see plenty of rehashes and new sets with the 3D release.

blogged

Im not sure how much Lego will do, I mean sure alot of parents will take their kids to see it, but then with Cinema Tickets here going through the roof many would rather watch it on the day it comes out but rented from their local Blockbuster in 2D. I might be proved wrong, but I just don't think this is as big as everybody is making it out to be.

Intresting ideas guys. I never actully got to see the original films on the Big screen, so I think I would at least have to go to see those.

Do you guys think there would be any chance of tickets being cheaper than usual, since the films have actully been out 30 years? I think that could lessen the hit to those who would like to see all 6 again.

As much as I personally hate 3D movies, I'm hoping Lucasfilm will bring a breakthrough to the 3D Generation of movies, and actully make them decent to the eye, rather than just over-digitalized. It isn't actully too out of the question knowing lucasfilm.

I'm all for re-relaeses of sets. Would definately be wanting lovely new designs though, and some new ships rather than re-boxing old sets, so to speak.

Do you guys think there would be any chance of tickets being cheaper than usual, since the films have actully been out 30 years? I think that could lessen the hit to those who would like to see all 6 again.

As much as I personally hate 3D movies, I'm hoping Lucasfilm will bring a breakthrough to the 3D Generation of movies, and actully make them decent to the eye, rather than just over-digitalized. It isn't actully too out of the question knowing lucasfilm.

I'm all for re-relaeses of sets. Would definately be wanting lovely new designs though, and some new ships rather than re-boxing old sets, so to speak.

I doubt it. These movies are being remastered in 3D; all that work has to be reflected in the ticket prices.

I hope so too. ILM revolutionized special effects in 1977, so I don't see why they can't revolutionize 3D now. The PT I kind of expect to be a ho-hum type of 3D, but I'm hoping they've found some really inventive way to convert the physical film from the OT to an eye-popping digital 3D experience.

As for sets... well we all agree that AotC and RotS need to be rereleased and that T-65s, T-47s, TIEs, Lambdas, and MFs need serious overhauls. That's a pretty hefty list for TLG already. Provided they listen to us.

As for sets... well we all agree that AotC and RotS need to be rereleased and that T-65s, T-47s, TIEs, Lambdas, and MFs need serious overhauls. That's a pretty hefty list for TLG already. Provided they listen to us.

Definatly agreed. And who knows- perhaps we'll finally get a Cantina remake out of this.

Lucas partially killed Empire with his CGI Falcon... and that's what concerns me. The laser blasts, explosions, etc. may have been considered really nice special effects in the 70s, but the Falcon and the X-wings (among other ships) were real, hand-built scale models, and that makes them all the more awesome. The CG renderings of the Falcon in Mos Eisley and Cloud City were one of the things that bugged me about the Special Editions (as if fans wouldn't be able to tell - it sticks out like a sore thumb), and rendering 3D models will just make the Original Trilogy look more like the Prequels. Endor is a massive battle as it is - it doesn't need to be massive on a Coruscant scale. If Lucas makes the Devastator and the Tantive IV into CG models, some fans will get mad.

I think Draykov of FBTB shares some of my sentiments on this:

Imagine for a moment that you are a youngster. The tender age of, oh, say 5-9. Now imagine that dear old mom has made your favorite dessert for you. One she only makes on special occasions like holidays. It's good...so good you have dreams about it. You love this dessert and it resonates with you into adulthood. You often think back on it with fond memories.

Now, imagine you're a college-age student...coming home for the holidays. Mom has whipped up your favorite dessert! Awesome, right? Well, guess what! She added liver and onions on top. Your favorite dessert is still there, but now mom is on lithium and she's doing weird things to it. It's not what you remembered from your childhood and it's hard to imagine why she changed it so drastically.

You're in your mid to late 20s now. Mom has announced a whole new dessert based on the one you knew as a kid. It sucks.

Now you're in your 30s and mom has said she's bringing back these desserts again for the holidays, but this time, they will be eaten on the deck of a ship. The old one is still going to perverted by the liver and onions. The new one still sucks, it'll just suck on waves. How would you feel about it?

Lucas partially killed Empire with his CGI Falcon... and that's what concerns me. The laser blasts, explosions, etc. may have been considered really nice special effects in the 70s, but the Falcon and the X-wings (among other ships) were real, hand-built scale models, and that makes them all the more awesome. The CG renderings of the Falcon in Mos Eisley and Cloud City were one of the things that bugged me about the Special Editions (as if fans wouldn't be able to tell - it sticks out like a sore thumb), and rendering 3D models will just make the Original Trilogy look more like the Prequels. Endor is a massive battle as it is - it doesn't need to be massive on a Coruscant scale. If Lucas makes the Devastator and the Tantive IV into CG models, some fans will get mad.

Oh I agree. That opening scene is just too iconic to be replicated. I mean, they tried opening space battle again for RotS, and it's no where close to the Devastator fly over in my book.

But anyways, this thread is about how the 3D release will impact LEGO, not the release itself.

Well one thing's for sure, 6212 won't be going anywhere! :hmpf_bad:

Actually, I'm not too confident about the impact on LEGO either. I don't know how far LEGO is going to be able to milk this cash cow - I mean, it's evident from their last line of sets that they're not willing to put too much effort into making substantially improved re-releases (at least, not on the level of the '04, '06, and '07 sets) and outside of the '08 series they don't seem to be able to find much new source material for their sets. I know there's at least one user here who feels that with an increasing number of re-released subjects we are witnessing the decline of the license. Unless Lucas decides to cram every single ship from the established Clone Wars into the 3D Prequels (which actually might not be a bad idea, though the retcons will number in thousands) it may very well get boring for some fans here.

That just makes me feel sooo old! - Cheers :cry_sad:

Surely Star Wars being back on the big screen has got to effect Lego's releases? I'll be dragging my kids to at least the OT and it's more than likely we'll watch all six (I'm hoping to see ANH & ESB on IMAX :wub:). This could well be introducing new generations to these films, if the 3D is done well, when kids see that Star Destroyer at the beginning of ANH they might feel the same way I did back in 1977 - hooking in lifelong Star Wars and Lego fans.

You say you can't see yourself going, but once the marketing machine starts with the hype, I think it will be hard to resist. This is an EVENT and as such TLG will be selling sets off the back of it - no doubt.

I would hope that kids will watch the OT at home before watching TPM at the theater if it's their first time. Almost all the great story elements of the OT are ruined if you watch them in chronological order.

-Obi-WANs powers are not a surprise

-Darth Vader being Lukes father is not a surprise

-There is no possible love triangle since you know Leia is Lukes sister. This will make the kiss creepy in ESB.

-Yoda being the crazy creature on Dagobah is not a surprise

But maybe I'm wrong? I'd like to hear the take of someone who experienced them in chronological order for the first time.

Im not sure how much Lego will do, I mean sure alot of parents will take their kids to see it, but then with Cinema Tickets here going through the roof many would rather watch it on the day it comes out but rented from their local Blockbuster in 2D. I might be proved wrong, but I just don't think this is as big as everybody is making it out to be.

I suppose if Lego is to release more sets based on the movies it's going to depend on the success or anticipated success of the 3D release. The 3D will have to be ground-breaking. In 2008 I got talking to a guy who runs a local cinema, he claimed to have been to a preview of forthcoming films in Amsterdam (I remember him going on about Kung Fu Panda & Indy IV). He also claimed to have seen a 3D version of the opening scene of ANH - he described it as 'mind blowing'. Assuming he wasn't just bs-ing me (he had no reason to), if the 3D was so good in '08 it's got to be improved further by now. Mind-blowing 3D = more cinema tickets = more Lego.

I would hope that kids will watch the OT at home before watching TPM at the theater if it's their first time. Almost all the great story elements of the OT are ruined if you watch them in chronological order.

-Obi-WANs powers are not a surprise

-Darth Vader being Lukes father is not a surprise

-There is no possible love triangle since you know Leia is Lukes sister. This will make the kiss creepy in ESB.

-Yoda being the crazy creature on Dagobah is not a surprise

But maybe I'm wrong? I'd like to hear the take of someone who experienced them in chronological order for the first time.

Very true. I made my daughter watch the ANH & ESB first on DVD to keep the surprise element. Unfortunately playground chatter had already spoiled it, she already knew that Darth Vader was Lukes father and that Leia was his sister! On a positive note she's still too frightened to watch ROTJ because she's scared of what :vader: will look like under the mask :laugh: .

Sadly my son will still be too young to watch the 3D release but when he does finally see them he will be watching the OT first.

Another interesting story element back in '77 was that due to Han Solo's dubious morals we didn't know if he was going to turn on Luke and Obi Wan. Of course this has since been spoiled by the special edition making Han shoot 2nd (or at the same time) :angry: .

Agreed on the order of the movies. You could just not watch the PT at all though. The OT is a complete story; all the major events in the PT are pretty much understood.

Or you could not worry about the theater at all and just wait for it to be released on 3D DVD/Blu-Ray for 3D TVs. But that's not as exciting.

I doubt it. These movies are being remastered in 3D; all that work has to be reflected in the ticket prices.

I hope so too. ILM revolutionized special effects in 1977, so I don't see why they can't revolutionize 3D now. The PT I kind of expect to be a ho-hum type of 3D, but I'm hoping they've found some really inventive way to convert the physical film from the OT to an eye-popping digital 3D experience.

Given the terrible jobs they did on the '04 DVDs I wouldn't hold your breath.

Given the terrible jobs they did on the '04 DVDs I wouldn't hold your breath.

How about some new 3D scenes then? Live the thrill in Hans point of view as hes being shot at by Greedo 15+ times before Han shoots back!