gcanik

[MOC] Hoth Rebel Base - Blast Doors

gallery_101_23_281.gif

For Christmas this year (2010) Santa Clause brought my son all the recently released LEGO Star Wars based on Hoth (Echo Base, Rebel Trooper Battle Pack, Snowtrooper Battle Pack, Hoth Wampa Cave). But in addition to those sets I deciced to build him a MOC based on the Hoth Rebel Base (#7666-1) that was released in 2007. I always felt that the overall base was to small especially the blast doors. So I set out to create my own MOC with enlarged doors with the intention to make the door opening taller to allow Tauntauns with riders to pass through but also wide enough also to allow Snow Speeders to fly through.

The biggest compromise for me in building this was building in the stly and functionality of traditional LEGO sets and not building to realistic proportions as I normally do. My son loves the set and combined with all the other Hoth released sets looks really cool and so far has provided hours of LEGO fun. The features: Sliding blast doors, two swing out interior platforms with light rigging. Each platform has a different funcionality. One contains blasters for defense of the base and the other platform contains a computer control center to close the blast doors.

I also created a large platform for my son to play on using a thin wood board measuring 31"x24". One side of the board is painted white with bluish highlights and rock formations to look like the ice planet Hoth as seen in Empire Strikes Back. The other side of the board is painted in many shades of tan to resemble sand to allow my son to play with his Indiana Jones and Pharaoh's Quest LEGO sets. Enjoy.

img_3923.jpg

img_3931.jpg

img_3932.jpg

img_3933.jpg

img_3937.jpg

More images at http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/27593

Very nice, I'm sure your son is having lots of fun with this and the cannon that you built to go along :sweet:

I wasn't a fan of the 7666 set - I really didn't like the blue printed SPUDs at the front. Sort of regret not buying it now I see how much it sells for on ebay.

You've done a good job of replicating / improving the Hoth Rebel Base here. Fitting a Tauntaun through the hanger doors certainly adds playability and together with your Atgar Laser Cannon this will make a nice play-set for your son (and more importantly you :grin: ).

Another excellent Hoth creation gcanik! This certainly is a huge improvement of the Hoth Rebel Base set, great job on the increased size opening and functional sliding blast doors. Very well done modifications for added playability that I'm sure your son will enjoy. :thumbup: