BrickPerfection

Achille, a French frigate carrying 36 guns

I am pretty bad at taking pictures, but I really did my best this time. I hope you'll manage to build the frigate you want to and I'm glad you found inspiration in my ship. Of course I will finish Guerrière since it's only sails and some rigging that needs to be done. She'll be shorter than Achille (5 midsections) since I feel two identical ships would be boring. Oh, by the way: Achille could use an Englishman for capturing! :pir-tongue:

We'll see about that, when it happens ... until then I guess you now got the Vesta on your tail... may the best frenchman win... would make a great Moc, wouldn't it? ....In front of the lovely lighttower of maydayartist... ok we can still dream ;)

I was afraid someone would ask that question, well I edited the first post accordingly. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Historically the Acien Régime in France used a plain white flag as the royal standard on their warships in the 17th and 18th century. This can be found on numerous paintings as well, for example this one from the American war of Independence.

In sea combat, surrender would take place by striking the ensign. This could sometimes happen accidentally, in which case the concerned ship had to give message that they were eager to continue fighting. :pir-grin:

By the way, there are far more bluecoat vessels on this forum than redcoat ones.

Well that makes sense. It would still look more aesthetically pleasing to me if it was flying a french flag though. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Again, wonderful ship you've built!

And no worries about being out numbered on the sea, it has never stopped the redcoats before!

O wait, I mean you're on the redcoat side. You're carrying the white flag, which is from the ancien regime.

During the napoleonic wars, the ancien regime/bourbons fought alongside the British, and against the revolutionary French, like Vesta :pir-classic:

We'll see about that, when it happens ... until then I guess you now got the Vesta on your tail... may the best frenchman win... would make a great Moc, wouldn't it? ....In front of the lovely lighttower of maydayartist... ok we can still dream ;)

And no worries about being out numbered on the sea, it has never stopped the redcoats before!

I must say, I don't like being labeled as a Redcoat, in fact my allegiance very clearly is and has always been with the Bluecoat side. Of course Admiral Croissant is right that the Royalists were in support of Napoleon's enemy, yet I would prefer Achille to be representing the pre-revolutionary France. Hence it would never meet the Vesta or the Fourageux as enemys. Actually they would most likely be build already at that time and on the same side! :pir-classic:

On the other hand, a MOC with both Achille and Vesta would indeed be a great idea, even more so with brickbuild water! I really have to see her in real life once. We should also try to put both ship next to each other and compare the dimensions. I noticed Vesta is sleeker overall.

Captain Green Hair, Bonaparte, Admiral Bejaune: I miss you! :pir-cry_sad:

I really love this ship :pir-wub:, You have done an awesome job!

The detailed stern really sticks out to me, You really are a Perfectionist :pir-laugh:

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Ratshot

She's absolutely beautiful. Well done and congratulations.

I must say, I don't like being labeled as a Redcoat, in fact my allegiance very clearly is and has always been with the Bluecoat side. Of course Admiral Croissant is right that the Royalists were in support of Napoleon's enemy, yet I would prefer Achille to be representing the pre-revolutionary France. Hence it would never meet the Vesta or the Fourageux as enemys. Actually they would most likely be build already at that time and on the same side! :pir-classic:

On the other hand, a MOC with both Achille and Vesta would indeed be a great idea, even more so with brickbuild water! I really have to see her in real life once. We should also try to put both ship next to each other and compare the dimensions. I noticed Vesta is sleeker overall.

I totally agree with you, on that scale SNOT-Water wouldn't do it...

Only to defend myself, I never called you a Redcoat - just a French Loyalist... but even they fought the British, at least in the Colonies... just wanted to sneak out on the challenge to my ship, since I really wouldn't like to see Achille sunk by mine :pir_laugh2:

I myself are undesided, since the redcoats are supposed to be English, the bluecoats are French... I guess I'm still totally Prussian :pir-devil:, but since there are no original Prussians frigates from that time, according to what I found on Wikipedia, they are all bought from the English, I guessed I could start building one - and sold her to myself afterwards.

Edited by Aalak

This is wonderful. It is obvious from the pictures that you have put hours upon hours of work into this masterpiece. Absolutely beautiful to look at.

One massive detail that makes this ship unique is the inclusion of a gorgeous interior. I know that Croissant and Capt. Blackmoor have both also put great interiors into their ships, and I commend them and anyone else who has done this (I wouldn't know as I don't browse this particular part of Eurobricks nearly as much as I used too :pir-blush:.) But I think that to have an interior as detailed, spacious and immaculate as this and still manage to create a beautiful external to the ship is a true achievement.

And, for all Bonaparte and CGH's minifig illusion scale ship's beauty and shape, I like this one more. It has tried hard to create a realistic experience, but not too hard. It just looks like a brilliant piece of Lego. :thumbup:

If someone told me he'd made a ship using the 'CGH hull techniques' and give it an interior I'd have told him that it won't be easy to do. If the same person would tell me he'd make the deck fully removable (incl. masts and rigging) I'd have told him it won't probably be stable enough. But hey, here it is, you've done it!

The interior is absolutely beautiful, and so are the deck details. The different kind of ropes and the extremely careful way in which you did all the rope-works are the best I've seen till now. I'm especially amazed that you managed to make such a nice looking cabin, which looks great on the outside, while dealing with a number of building limitations that go together with giving it an interior. Personally I'm not going to give my future ships interiors as I never open my ships (I once gave a ship an interior and opened noticed later that I never opened it), but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing yours. I also like how you've put the gun ports (the back flags) at the same line as the wall and now 'sticking out'. It's not yet entirely clear to me how you did that, but I'll find out eventually.

If I need to say one thing that I'd have done differently it would probably be the red-yellow color combination, but now I'm talking about personal preference.

Congrats perfectionists, you have moved the bar on 'minifig illusion scale' ship building with this frigate of yours. I'm looking forward seeing your next creation!

this is truly the best ship i've seen so far, a combination of techniques for the tumblehome, hull, modularity, rigging, SNOT and especially the detail of the cabin interior.

i like it!

Edited by Pudz426

very well built ship! it is very beautiful and nicely detailed, especially the rigging and the interior, I like it

this is truly the best ship i've seen so far, a combination of techniques for the tumblehome, hull, modularity, rigging, SNOT and especially the detail of the cabin interior.

i like it!

As much as I like you bumping my thread, is there any reason you have to say that twice? :pir-tongue:

its to express my amazement :D sometimes i come back and see this thread again :D

anyway, i will delete my first comment

Great job Perfectionist! :thumbup:

The ship looks great from a distance, and up close.

There is a lot of fine detail on this ship.

I really like how you've made the stud-sails.

The headrails look spectacular.

The stern cabin looks great with all of its angles coming together so nicely.

Does the capstan and steering actually work?

It's MOCs like this one that motivate me to build more accurate and detailed vessels.

Lets be honest, this forum has the best fleet on the web!

Agreed. :pirate_skel1:

anyway, i will delete my first comment

Only people with superpowers (Regulators, Mods, and Admin) are able to delete posts. :pir-grin:

Please keep an eye out for this Pudz, you don't need to tell people how much you like it in several posts.

I got it, it wasn't intentional, I will be careful next time.

That is a beautiful ship! All the details on the decks, the masts, and rigging; they all look so realistic!

One question though, what kind of glue did you use on the rigging?

Just wow, it's a beautiful and clean looking work of art.

You've managed to use some of the best techniques out there, blend it with some of yours and voila!

The interior is great and the fact that the top is modular....hats of to you sir!

Only nitpick from me is that I don't really like the metal hooks in the rigging, I think there are Lego parts out there that can be used.

This is one I wished I had seen sooner. I dont think I can add much at this point to the comments. Overall, very nice. I really like how you had your sig-fig give us the tour, and the cool cannon shot picture.

:pir-grin:

Lovely job. Congratulations!

I especially like the ratlines of the rigging, and the front headrails.

Wonderful masts with the brown/black combinations.

Also VERY impressive that you have managed to make a detailed interior and detachable upper part.

Edited by Hoexbroe

WOW! What an amazing Ship! I really like the stern (the hardest part of the ship to build in my opinion.

I only had a few minutes to look at her, I will be spendin some time later looking at your pics in greater detail. GREAT WORK!!!!

What parts did you use for the grate on the floor? was it a bunch of black headlight bricks?

4070.jpg?0

An exceptionally beautiful piece of work- a true work of art. I can't really add anything to what others have said!

BTW- I note that the ship sails under 'a plain white linen flag', don't the French always fly the white flag of surrender? :pir-tongue:

A very pretty ship indeed. Not much I can add to what have been said before me.

You ship builders out there is making so many awesome jobs on those.