Belet

Warship project

Hi everyone!

After a few trials on LDD and installing the Universe mode, I'm now thinking about

putting together a quite ambitious project : a LDD frigate/ship of the line.

One of the extra challenges would be to try and build a nice interior for it.

That being said, I would welcome gladly any complete plan of an interior, or

any tip regarding the inner organisation of an 18th century warship.

The main question is : Where do I have to build the kitchen/oven and the sickbay?

Thanks to anyone who would share info on that :)

For now, only the most basic part of the hull has been completed. The next steps

coming soon would be to design the interior, place the bottom part of the masts,

and add the vertical part of the hull before the start of the tumblehome.

Overall view :

hull112.jpg

Side view :

hull212.jpg

The stern :

hull312.jpg

(The red pieces will be replaced as soon as I design the rudder)

The curve of the bow :

hull412.jpg

And a bird's eye view :

hull512.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Well for the location of the surgeon and the oven, it might be a good idea to first decide whether you want to build a frigate or a ship of the line.

This image may help you if you want to build a ship of the line, and this one if you want to build a frigate.

Also I think your hull is a bit too long/thin. It's more like a clipper now.

But it seems you're quite good at working with LDD, so I'm looking forward to the next update.

Good luck! :pir-classic:

This image may help you if you want to build a ship of the line, and this one if you want to build a frigate.

Admiral, you're my hero :pir-wub:

That makes things a lot clearer now, and will help me a lot in my building.

About the length/width ratio, I think you're probably right. I used the measures given in a wiki about L'Hermione, a French frigate, which stated a width/length ratio of 66/11.5 meters.

But somehow the proportions don't seem right at the moment. I think I will try to make each section a bit shorter to get closer to a 1/5 ratio, or widen the sections at the top with inverted slopes, but I'm afraid that would give an awkward feeling about the hull.

So I bet I'd better get back to LDD now, fortunately I worked with separated sections so it should be something doable :)

Edited by Belet

Admiral, you're my hero :pir-wub:

That makes things a lot clearer now, and will help me a lot in my hero

Mine too! He allways has the right pictures and comments! I reall like your hull so far! it's a shame it'll be only stable in LDD, would make a great start for a moc otherwise! keep it up!!! Well done.

it's a shame it'll be only stable in LDD, would make a great start for a moc otherwise!

I think it could be stable outside the Universe mode if I used another color. As I built the basic hull section by section it could be quite quick to change the colors and make it buyable :)

However I plan on using the cannons provided by Universe mode and probably the rigging pieces as well, so that ship is likely to become LDD only in a few steps :pir-cry_sad:

Anyway, following the advice of Admiral Croissant, I changed the design of the hull midsections a little bit and I have come up with something better proportionned in my opinion :

newhul10.jpg

Feedback welcome!

I like where you're going with this, but something about still seems awkward. Are you going for a "full hull" or a "water line" model? yYou also have a lot straight lines and sharp angles. consider using plates in different stages to round out your bow. I hope it doesn't come off as arrogant, but perhaps looking over some of my fleet could help you refine your own technique. A piece of advice too; if you want to keep your model valid with the current Lego catalog, you can always brick build cannons, rather than using the universe mode.

my photobucket, most of my ships are posted here, in pretty much, order of creation.

My link

LDD files of some of my vessels I've posted

My link

Basically I'm going for a full hull model, but the part that I showed here is only the bottom part of the hull, without what will contain the orlop deck and still lacking some adjustments.

As for the use of non-LDD parts, that doesn't bother me this much because with everything that ship will contain it will be way out of my financial means :)

Anyway, thanks for the comments and the nice inspiration provided by your excellent ships!

I think the hull looks good now. Considering that it gets even a bit longer upwards, I think it will have the right proportions.

About kurigan's advice, the sharp angles don't bother me a lot since it's a large MOC. But if you can make it smoother, why not? :pir-classic:

Good luck!

Some progress has been made!

First of all, I tried to make the brown hull profile a bit smoother at the bow. I left the new parts in red so you can see the difference :

transi10.jpg

And I finished to build the hold interior :

hold10.jpg

The gray plates at the bottom of the barrel piles represent the sand used to secure the barrels and prevent them from moving.

The big structure around the main mast is the shot locker. It doesn't actually open as I didn't want to spend too many parts on it.

The large black columns are the chain pumps, they will be continued to the upper decks, as well as the two thinner columns that represent

the elm tree pumps.

Basically, that's it, although I could have added some sail and rope storage but I didn't want to overload the space and I think the current state

is illustrative enough of a ship's hold.

Comments and feedback welcome as always!

The orlop is complete!

orlop10.jpg

The two rooms close to the stern are for the ship's surgeon and the purser. In the corridor next to the surgeon's room

stands his operating table, with a small closet to lock his tools and medicines and a bucket of sand to prevent blood from running everywhere.

Close to the pumps is the first powder cartridges storage. The cartridges are stacked on several big shelves. I chose to use some grey

to represent the cartridges, not because it's the best colour, but because the light beige and brown were already taken, and black would definitely have

been out of place :)

There is another powder storage at the bow, on starboard, while the port room is occupied by the weapons storage, in the brown lockers.

The empty space very close to the stern should be welcoming part of the rudder mechanism. As I won't build an articulated rudder, I will leave it as such.

That's it for the orlop, newt step is the lower gun deck!

Edited by Belet

I think if you leave it like this, the hull will be to narrow in relation to its width, a little bit like the Vasa. I would recommend either making the decks lower or the hull larger.

The lenght/width ratio seems good though.

I also notice the stern should curve way more upwards at the keel.

Good luck!

That's a lot of interesting and probably very relevant comments, thank you :)

I think if you leave it like this, the hull will be to narrow in relation to its width, a little bit like the Vasa. I would recommend either making the decks lower or the hull larger.

I guess you did want to say "Height" instead of "Width", am I right? If not, please forgive my english^^

I also notice the stern should curve way more upwards at the keel.

Thanks, I'll see to it, but I'm afraid that would give more height to the global build :S

Just to confirm everything, I added side/bird's eye views of the project at its current side, which is probably more illustrative of your comments in this case that the perspective view.

orlops10.jpg

orlopb10.jpg

The zoom was exactly the same for the two screenshots so the proportions are as close as possible to the "real" LDD model.

I guess you did want to say "Height" instead of "Width", am I right? If not, please forgive my english^^

You are absolutely right! Sorry, that was a spelling mistake. Since you're doing it in LDD anyway, would it hurt to increase the size so you could make it wider?

Happy building!

The main problem is that I would be risking to reach prematurely the brick limit and therefore not being able to finish the project (although its already a risk right now).

Another issue that I would have if I chose to widen the hull would be that I would have to completely redesign the bow and stern. But If I come up with enough time I could simply try to make each deck a bit lower, which could easily be done at least for the hold. Thanks for the feedback!