Sign in to follow this  
vahkimetru

Making simple custom sails for SMALL ships

Need custom sails in a rush? Need durable sails?

Well here's some instructions for the easiest sails on the high seas!

1. Get a long pole like piece. Also get a piece of blank paper and scissors.

2. Cut out a triangle or square from the paper bout the size of the pole. A bit smaller if possible.

3.Poke holes through the sail you've cut out, using the pole piece. Attach the pole piece with the sail slid on to your MOC and you're done! VM approved, IT WORKS! It stays!

The finished product should look something like this:

river_runner_2.0_001.jpg

Also see Evil Willy's tutorial. These sails are for small ships, those are for large and are better to interact wiith traditional pirate ships. His tutorial inspied mine.

Some fun ideas to do to your sails:

Edit: By popular demand, I have given steps to the other ideas.

-Before you attach or cut the sails, print an insignia or design on the paper, then cut it out, Or draw your own!

How to do this?

1.Find a pic of the insignia you want and enlarge it on a computer program to the size you like it.

2. Print it out and cut the sail out.

3. Attach using the tutorial above.

(Alternate: Instead of printing, draw an insignia)

-Try this on large flags too!

How to do this?

1. Cut out a square or triangle piece of paper.

2. Fit it onto a mast piece or such.

3. Try using the above insignia tutorial with this technique

-Try your own techniques!

1. Just be creative, LOL!

Have fun!

Yes, you're sails are very good, much higher in quality then mine, but I just made these for people who had less time. Not that yours are bad, they're much better than mine, but you get the point.

Yes, you're sails are very good, much higher in quality then mine, but I just made these for people who had less time. Not that yours are bad, they're much better than mine, but you get the point.

Indeed

So what does everyone think of this tutorial?????

EDIT: Why m I a rip-off!! just because I got ideas and was inspired by already created stuff, doesn't mean...

Ah, I'll leave it at that. :P

The tutorial is nice, but I feel it's too simple to warrent its own thread. Consider elaborating on some of your ideas, such as the insignia design, an' how to go about adding that to your sail.

Mr Syedow has a point here - this tutorial is rather brief! What might help it along a lot is a picture for each of the steps and one for each of the fun suggestions. That should beef this tutorial up sufficiently to warrant its own thread.

And it is sloppy...Just ripping holes though is not the way to merrit a tutorial. Use a whole puncher? How do you solidify the holes afterwards? Please more detail.

Pictures and better spacing would help greatly however... But at least he's giving it a go folks so praise him on that account!

Yes Vahkimetru where are these images for I am curious to see what the creation process is. Evil Willy's tutorial had images for every step which is what made it so good, you could learn a lot from such a tutorial, more than just being merely inspired.