gallery_101_23_281.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 UPDATE:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

Instructions for my Snowspeeder model are now available at mocplans.com Instructions are made by Eric Albrecht (Blakbird) and have 125 pages. Model itself has 2191 parts. I'll update this post with rebrickable url later when it's online.

mocplans.jpg

instructions_preview.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

earlier 2014 update

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have updated this model:

11933887136_e02d08f508_o.jpg

11933305875_2df847e97d_o.jpg

11933407455_fbb192e7ce_o.jpg

11934022824_a8e64d122b_o.jpg

2014 UPDATE ends, original first post from now on ->

Hi.

After my first Technic x-wing MOC I'm tryint to build the rebel snowspeeder. (T-47 airspeeder) Speeder will be roughly in the same scale with the x-wing:

x_wing_2.jpg

Here are first photos of the T-47. Feel free to point out anything that looks off. I need to get more light gray parts as I had to use dark grey in wrong places ;D My reference photos show that even the models used in movies have wings in different angles when looked from the rear. I guess I'll use wing angle that fits the best with my parts. My plan is to have two joystick in cockpit. Other one to control the "ailerons" on top of the engines and the other one to control rear "gun". Don't know yet if the cabin hatch should be motorized or not.

-drakmin

t-47_airspeeder_1.jpg

t-47_airspeeder_2.jpg

t-47_airspeeder_3.jpg

t-47_airspeeder_4.jpg

Drakmin's youtube

Edited by drakmin

I'm sure it will be as nice as the X-wing.

Agreed. I love how you made the angles. How are you going to fill in the front tips of the wings? And I can't wait to see how you make the cockpit. Best of luck on this :thumbup:

Ooh, it's coming along quite nicely. As for the wing angle, I think even comparing all references it may be too steep here. It looks like you've got a nearly 45-degree angle there. Could be wrong, though; we'll see what fallenangel says.

Ooh, it's coming along quite nicely. As for the wing angle, I think even comparing all references it may be too steep here. It looks like you've got a nearly 45-degree angle there. Could be wrong, though; we'll see what fallenangel says.

I have 50 degree angle. Some blueprints have 45 degree angle and some have about 55 degree angle so I try to choose between these limits ;D

This is looking very nice indeed...

Since this model is obviously larger than minifigure scale SNOT is a very good choice for the wings. You've already captured two major details that few other have done accurately; the way the laser cannons are angled inward and the geometry of the laser cannon housings (how the inner edge is parallel to the rear deck). It even looks like this model will have an accurate bottom, which is great! :thumbup:

A couple things I'd like to comment on:

First, you're right about the models having different angles. But when I compare your MOC to this shot I can't help but feel that the wings are a bit too steep. If you could fix this but retain what you've done with the laser cannon housings lining up with the deck that would be great.

The second thing is something I've come across while doing a bit of research. You can divide the T-47's wing profile into three parts:

- the small sloped section in the rear that bears squadron markings

- the flatter section with the laser cannon housings

- the large sloped section that continues to the front

It can be seen from this image that the latter two sections form a rough 1:2 proportion - that is, the sloped section is roughly twice as long as the flatter section. On yours it looks to be almost 1:5, which isn't good. It will screw up not only the length of the cockpit but also the nose. I've seen this fallacy in many other renditions (including LEGO's now craptastic System set) and it just doesn't look good. I strongly recommend you fix this one point before proceeding.

Lastly, I think you may want to extend the rear just a bit. There should be some massive grilles there.

I'm very excited about how this model will turn out, and I encourage you to continue with your fantastic Technic work as you may end up setting a new standard for all of us!

Your X-wing was great and I have a feeling that this will be too. :classic:

Eh, it needs some work.

the way the laser cannons are angled inward

Shouldn't they be angled even more inward, though? I really should take an overhead shot, but this is pretty close to the angle of the guns on my T-47, which I know aren't angled enough.

Shouldn't they be angled even more inward, though? I really should take an overhead shot, but this is pretty close to the angle of the guns on my T-47, which I know aren't angled enough.

The angle does look a bit shallow compared to the studio model, but that may just be me. Or maybe it's just that the front seems a bit wide.

In any case, there's no way drakmin's going to establish any kind of scale until he goes back and redoes the warped midsection and horribly stubby laser cannons on his X-wing.

drakmin I'm wondering, do you intend to go back and cover up the holes in the wings for this MOC? It just doesn't seem very aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks for all comments!

Really good points fallenangel. I'm trying to do the "big lines" first so I'm not filling holes at this moment. When I have a pleasing skeleton, I'll start filling and doing mechanics. I have already fixed the wing angle. It's interesting how most of the actual models have pretty low angle wings and most of the blueprints have the wings at almost 45 degrees.

Thanks for all comments!

Really good points fallenangel. I'm trying to do the "big lines" first so I'm not filling holes at this moment. When I have a pleasing skeleton, I'll start filling and doing mechanics. I have already fixed the wing angle. It's interesting how most of the actual models have pretty low angle wings and most of the blueprints have the wings at almost 45 degrees.

That's because the actual models can't fit people. If you look inside the cockpits you'll see the pilots are just torsos. Like I said, they probably had to make the angle steeper for the full-scale mockup.

Just fix the second point I mentioned and make the wings angle in a little more and this MOC will be looking great.

*And I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, but please make another X-wing. I really see a lot of potential...

I'm so glad we've finally gotten a Technic MOC'er in here.

We're used to UCS scale MOCs with technic skeletons and such, but this is purebreed and we need some of that around here.

Thanks for sharing once again Drakmin.

blogged

In any case, there's no way drakmin's going to establish any kind of scale until he goes back and redoes the warped midsection and horribly stubby laser cannons on his X-wing.

Didn't he say he scrapped the X-wing already?

Nice title too, drakmin.

Didn't he say he scrapped the X-wing already?

Nothing says he can't build another one. Do you think I keep all of my X-wings together? I'd go crazy. :tongue:

Do you think I keep all of my X-wings together? I'd go crazy. :tongue:

"This one's inaccurate and this one's inaccurate and this one's inaccurate and this one's inaccurate and this one's off by four millimeters and this one's angle is off by 2 degrees and this one's shaping is warped - ARGH! It's too much! I can't handle it!"

Maybe we should ask def if he can add you to Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum as the 'X-wing Freak'.

"Well you see, doctor, I've been having nightmares for around three weeks now. I look at the row of my failed X-wing models and how inaccurate they are, and then my brain is wracked with pain and I collapse. And then I see myself being chased down a trench by a trio of X-wings. And all of a sudden one pulls out. And I despair as I see it being lost. And then one is blown up, and tears come to my eyes. And then the last one fires a torpedo, but it hits my back and the baddies beat up on the X-wing, and then everything blows up and I wake up covered in sweat and tears."

Kidding aside, I would like to see a Version 2 of this.

"This one's inaccurate and this one's inaccurate and this one's inaccurate and this one's inaccurate and this one's off by four millimeters and this one's angle is off by 2 degrees and this one's shaping is warped - ARGH! It's too much! I can't handle it!"

Maybe we should ask def if he can add you to Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum as the 'X-wing Freak'.

"Well you see, doctor, I've been having nightmares for around three weeks now. I look at the row of my failed X-wing models and how inaccurate they are, and then my brain is wracked with pain and I collapse. And then I see myself being chased down a trench by a trio of X-wings. And all of a sudden one pulls out. And I despair as I see it being lost. And then one is blown up, and tears come to my eyes. And then the last one fires a torpedo, but it hits my back and the baddies beat up on the X-wing, and then everything blows up and I wake up covered in sweat and tears."

Kidding aside, I would like to see a Version 2 of this.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Taking it just a little too far at this point...

Did you list seven X-wings on purpose, or was it just coincidence?

Did you list seven X-wings on purpose, or was it just coincidence?

*huh*

Actually, it was a coincidence. I just started listing ideas.

"...and this one has a Y-wing's cockpit and white guns and doesn't have SNOT wings."

There. We have eight.

*huh*

Actually, it was a coincidence. I just started listing ideas.

"...and this one has a Y-wing's cockpit and white guns and doesn't have SNOT wings."

There. We have eight.

This thread is ridiculously off topic now.

If it gets you quiet I intend to tile over the wings and build a SNOT nose for version 9. And I swear, I can't do SNOT wings unless I build it in UCS scale.

(Do you see now drakmin what I have to put up with? Please do me a favor and make a better X-wing! :tongue: )

In any case drakmin I'm looking forward to seeing what progress you've made on your T-47!

Hehe :D Btw. which easy to get non technic set has the most light and dark grey parts? Are any of the currently sold set's good for "fill the holes left by technic" use? Atm. I have only 3 technic sets and that's all the parts I have.

Hehe :D Btw. which easy to get non technic set has the most light and dark grey parts? Are any of the currently sold set's good for "fill the holes left by technic" use? Atm. I have only 3 technic sets and that's all the parts I have.

8099 Midi-scale Imperial Star Destroyer is a gold mine for grey plates. It doesn't appear to be on S@H but it was only released last year so I think it's still available (by the way, it's a Wal-Mart exclusive). It looks pretty good too, even if it is too fat.

That's some impressive work you've done with only three sets... must be really big sets.

That's a great start for this Technic T-47 drakmin, the shape of the base is already recognizable, it will be enjoyable to observe the progress of this one.

Atm. I have only 3 technic sets and that's all the parts I have.

Wow, you made the X-Wing with just three Technic sets and now you'll do this also with that limitation? That certainly makes your MOCs even more impressive! :thumbup:

Excellent work so far, I can't wait till you finish this :cry_happy:

8099 Midi-scale Imperial Star Destroyer is a gold mine for grey plates. It doesn't appear to be on S@H but it was only released last year so I think it's still available (by the way, it's a Wal-Mart exclusive). It looks pretty good too, even if it is too fat.

That's supposed to be my line. :wink:

Anyways, do you want grey plating or brick? For plating, go with 8099, but if you want brick I think the most efficient way is still BL or PaB.

Here are the set's used for x-wing and this:

setsforxwing.jpg

And here's todays progress considering T-47. Some bad colour choices because of the limited parts, I'll change them later.

t-47_airspeeder_8.jpg

t-47_airspeeder_5.jpg

t-47_airspeeder_6.jpg

t-47_airspeeder_7.jpg