Hobbes

Pic Review: 7905 Building Crane

Well, here it is!

Sorry for the delay but it took some time taking the pictures and sorting them.

The set is a real beauty and was lots of fun to build. But check for yourself. As with the Heavy Loader review I've split it in two. Enjoy :-)

The box again is the same crappy "design" as all new bigger boxes. That means you have to tear it on the sides to open it. It does have a flip top but that's for a diorama of the set. The back side again shows almost all the sets of the same theme, in this case "Construction". And I must say, this sub-theme really has evolved nicely.

7905_01.jpg_thumb.jpg 7905_02.jpg_thumb.jpg 7905_03.jpg_thumb.jpg 7905_04.jpg_thumb.jpg

On the left half of back side you also see the bags for the different modules and what pieces they hold. This is not entirely accurate, though. Some bags are numbered and hold pieces for the respective modules, but there are also unnumbered bags that hold pieces that are needed almost anywhere during building. It's not a problem since there are very distinguishable pieces in that set.

The DSS (

Wow, great review and pics! This set looks AWESOME!!! Overall very realistic looking and the porta-potty thing & foreman's modular make a very good touch.I agree the man holding the toilet paper does look very silly although it looks like there is nowhere to put it inside the stall.

Also, how much does this sell for?

Hobbes i have to say that this is one of the very best reviews that i have ever seen, your words are perfect combined with those fantastic pictures............now im off to read it again :-)

Wow, I must say I am impressed with the port-a-pottie. I think this may be a first, a mini-fig scale toilet. And it is quite well done... Does it come with some brown 1 x 1 round plate pieces? 8-

Thanks everybody *sweet*

@oo7: I got it for 51.99 Euro + shipping off ebay. It's gotten a bit cheaper, even, there's sets for 49.99 available at the moment (ebay.de). Watch the shipping costs, though, they can be pretty high.

@Athos: There's some MOCing possibility ;-)

Can you take a pic of it next to the new Slave 1 or the Sail Barge?

Nope, I don't have any Star Wars sets. Sorry...

But here's two pics of it in my (not finished) layout where you can compare it to sets like the BSB, the XXL mobile crane (which I'd put at XL tops here) and other sets:

aem21l1e57kfsokmf.jpg

aem21pnx4ygn7wew7.jpg

But here's two pics of it in my (not finished) layout where you can compare it to sets like the BSB, the XXL mobile crane (which I'd put at XL tops here) and other sets:

Wow! There is quite a lot there I would like to get my hands on ;-) ! And great review by the way!

God Bless,

Nathan

Thanks for the excellent review, Hobbes. I really like the look of this set, and I'm tempted to get it. But I probably won't, since I want to save my money for other things.

very good review! I really want it! I can't wait to see it in a toy shop, so I will buy it on sah when I will have my salary from GTM (a french construction company)! Build power!

Yeah, really cool, I requested this like 2 days before so I'm so happy LOL.

Anyway, can it lift train coaches. Try a 4561 coach if you have it. I was interested in transporting coaches with the heavy loader and the transfering using this crane.

Anyway, can it lift train coaches. Try a 4561 coach if you have it. I was interested in transporting coaches with the heavy loader and the transfering using this crane.

I don't have that particular coach, but as you can see in the second picture of my layout it can lift the 7044 Rescue Chopper which has considerable weight. Unless you try the quite heavy Santa Fe cars I don't think it'll have any problems lifting train coaches. Maybe a second counterweight might help. But then I would exchange the two black Technic axles that hold the weight with Technic bricks/breams cos the axles will surely bend with more weight (they do slightly with the one weight already).

I'll try one of my coaches, though, cos I'm interested in the weight limit myself.

I bought this set myself today, and I must say that I agree with just about everything in the review above. Sitting at same height as my elbows at my desk, I actually find myself looking up to the control cabin. It's a surprisingly huge set for its cost. It also has that "WOW"-factor which not a lot of LEGO-sets can credit themselves with.

I'm not taking this one apart, that's for sure.

Not something I would buy, but man, does it look impressive. The toilet has to be one of the best things Lego designed lately!

I don't have that particular coach, but as you can see in the second picture of my layout it can lift the 7044 Rescue Chopper which has considerable weight. Unless you try the quite heavy Santa Fe cars I don't think it'll have any problems lifting train coaches. Maybe a second counterweight might help. But then I would exchange the two black Technic axles that hold the weight with Technic bricks/breams cos the axles will surely bend with more weight (they do slightly with the one weight already).

I'll try one of my coaches, though, cos I'm interested in the weight limit myself.

Great review Hobbes! Posibly one of the best i've seen on these forums! I bought this set on bricklink last week and built it a couple days ago.

As far as the wieght limit, i've found that its not a factor of the crane tipping over, but that the hook pops off. I haven't found a fix, other than switching it out with a techinc hook (the same that comes with 8464 mobile crane) but i'm working on it. The best i've lifted has been the heavy loader bridge with the toilet on it. I'm going to add more counter weights, and a better hook and atempt to lift the dual pontoon race boat (sorry can't remeber the number ). I know that might be stretching it a bit, but thats the heaviest i got the XXL mobile crane to lift without tipping over, so i want to see if i can match it just for fun. Other than that i have no complanits with this set!

Hobbes: this is a very nice pic review. Thank you for taking the time to share the images. The detail is outstanding. I esp. like the "port-a-potty". After the last few construction sets, I was really disappointed. This set seems to make up for it. I may look in to buying this once available in the US.

Thanks for the review

Looks Great

after looking at your brickshelf photos....

I am seriously considering making this the most expensive set I ever purchase (how much is it USD$ btw?)

It looks like it has all the elements of a MOC Space Freighter or Space Construction Vehicle.

Plenty of yellow skeletal structural bricks

a operators controlroom that could easily convert to a pilots seat

readymade foremans module and toilet that could easily become sealed habitat modules on a spaceship.

yup, just tilt the tower onto it's side to make a cargo rack spine...add some engines...rearrange the base plates into some kind of wing structure...

I received two more cranes last Friday I bought off ebay.

While building the port-a-potty something struck me as odd: is it just me or does anybody else find it strange, too, that the toilet actually has a window???

;-)

While building the port-a-potty something struck me as odd: is it just me or does anybody else find it strange, too, that the toilet actually has a window???

X-O OMG, your right! I didn't notice that in your pic (that has a false hyperlink) before, that's really silly of LEGO, and I thought the instuction booklet cover was hilarious before, now it looks insane! :-D

X-O OMG, your right! I didn't notice that in your pic (that has a false hyperlink) before

And no one told me... it's corrected now :-$

I've got it! It is so wonderfull, my best set of this year! That's all ;-)