MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

After looking again and again at those new wheel/rim combination for the Unimog Technic Flagship

I have to say I'm not pleased with them. They look ugly and don't really fit to the model.

Really not the best solution - IMHO. (Checked several google pics by using U400 Unimog)

Dont forget the fact that LEGO has to use the tires on another models in the future, on which those tires has to fit as well.

I just noticed this:

zoom-in3.jpg

I think it looks like this piece: 6539.gif

But what does it do there? :sceptic:

I just noticed this:

zoom-in3.jpg

I think it looks like this piece: 6539.gif

But what does it do there? :sceptic:

It switches function modes, like on 8070 Supercar!

It switches function modes, like on 8070 Supercar!

Yes, I know, but how can you switch there? I mean, there isn't even a switch/lever :classic:

Yes, I know, but how can you switch there? I mean, there isn't even a switch/lever :classic:

There is a changeover-catch on the top of this driving ring, and there is an axle which cross the truck to drive the changeover-catch by the command on the other side.

There is a changeover-catch on the top of this driving ring, and there is an axle which cross the truck to drive the changeover-catch by the command on the other side.

Yes, that can be true :thumbup: , but why such a strange place? You cant reach it, until you take away the plates :sceptic:

The switch is on the other side, I think it is the yellow one lever that activates the pneumatic system or the gear system.

Yes, that can be true :thumbup: , but why such a strange place? You cant reach it, until you take away the plates :sceptic:

It's seems to be the switch between the compressor and the rotation of winch / crane

You can see the small pump in green circle here :

legounimogu400gripperar.jpg

I think it is sad that no/very few models nowadays have a working steering wheel, from the look of it that is the case here too.

I think it is sad that no/very few models nowadays have a working steering wheel, from the look of it that is the case here too.

I'm not sure. Why would Mercedes and Lego put so many detail and real functions in a set and doon't make a working steering wheel. :sceptic: So I think it is possible, but I hope I'm right :sweet:

I do not expect a working steering wheel. My reason to believe that is that I think a working steering wheel does not add "play value" to the finished model, because the steering wheel is usually hard to reach and kids will simply use the hand of God wheel on the roof because it's much easier to access. The only moment the working steering wheel adds play value is when building up the set. For a lot of Technic fans, the build is the play, but I don't expect that that is also Lego's reasoning.

Edit: but I hope I'm wrong :D

Edited by Erik Leppen

I do not expect a working steering wheel. My reason to believe that is that I think a working steering wheel does not add "play value" to the finished model, because the steering wheel is usually hard to reach and kids will simply use the hand of God wheel on the roof because it's much easier to access. The only moment the working steering wheel adds play value is when building up the set. For a lot of Technic fans, the build is the play, but I don't expect that that is also Lego's reasoning.

Edit: but I hope I'm wrong :D

You are probably right, however to me that is one of the most important things but on the other hand I don't play with the models once they are built. If you ask me the only disappointment with the 8070 supercar was the non-working steering wheel.

The real U400 has VarioPilot, which allows the ability to slide the steering console from the left to right hand side.

This feature will be a nice challenge to build.

The car and driver website says this:

"and sports a fully pneumatic gripper arm mounted aft of a pneumatic “dump” bed."

I know this has been talked about, but does it have a dump bed or not? I can't see a switch for it but the website seems to be pretty spot on with the other details. They must have been told by lego what functions it has otherwise they would not have known about the hub gearboxes and so on.

It also says it is electrically "driven". Does that mean motorised wheels? Im not that optimistic for that, but it sure whould be cool because at the moment, this awesome set seems to be lacking in nice geartrains for the largest technic set ever.

I've already said how that would be operated, but for those who missed it, the yellow lever would switch between driving the wheels and the compressor, whilst the red lever would switch between the front and rear PTO. This would mean you could operate the pneumatics and the rotation of the crane at the same time. The engine would be driven directly by the motor regaurdless of what functions are engauged.

There might be two new parts in the U400, one gearbox part and one frame,

carefully look at this zoom-in of the back of the Unimog:

new_parts_u400.jpg

neon-green arrow: There is a round part where an axle comes out, so it might work like a u-joint and maybe it is somehow related to the new hub-reduction parts.

orange arrow: A U-shaped frame piece that cannot be part of the H-frame because the pin holes are in other directions.

I hope I don't repeat any information here

Especially the first part seems very useful to me, as it transfers torque, lets the attached part swing up/down, twist and might even provide gear-reduction.

What are your thoughts about them?

That round part looks very interesting, like some kind of large hollow ball joint that would normally house a cv joint in steerable/driven axles. There are so many secrets in this set my heads gonna explode :laugh:

Edited by allanp

There might be two new parts in the U400, one gearbox part and one frame,

carefully look at this zoom-in of the back of the Unimog:

new_parts_u400.jpg

neon-green arrow: There is a round part where an axle comes out, so it might work like a u-joint and maybe it is somehow related to the new hub-reduction parts.

orange arrow: A U-shaped frame piece that cannot be part of the H-frame because the pin holes are in other directions.

I hope I don't repeat any information here

Especially the first part seems very useful to me, as it transfers torque, lets the attached part swing up/down, twist and might even provide gear-reduction.

What are your thoughts about them?

That part with the green arrow pointing to it does look interesting. Maybe it is part of a center differential? It could be the back of the motor, but it doesn't look quite right and seems to far to the center of the vehicle. Maybe it is some sort of new slip yoke (probably not, but I'm just dreaming). Interesting find!

The part at the orange arrow looks like a normal 5x7 frame to me. What you see in the picture is the long side with alternating pin holes.

What I find interesting in the photo is the link with ball pin. It looks like a panhard bar connecting the axle to the frame. Could it be that this model has a true multi-link suspension? If so, that would be awesome! :thumbup:

Big ball joint? could it be that they using a original torque tube like the one in the heavy unimogs?

Big ball joint? could it be that they using a original torque tube like the one in the heavy unimogs?

Could be. That 6L steering link that is being used as a panhard bar and the ball joint leads me to think that it's like a torque tube. That ball joint also looks to be the thing that holds the rear axle on.

Now i'm wondering if that light bley ball and the new c-shape beam is actually one part that clicks into a larger dark bley socket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_tube

Edited by allanp

Now i'm wondering if that light bley ball and the new c-shape beam is actually one part that clicks into a larger dark bley socket.

Let's hope not!

Could be. That 6L steering link that is being used as a panhard bar and the ball joint leads me to think that it's like a torque tube. That ball joint also looks to be the thing that holds the rear axle on.

if comes all that true the 8110 is a revolution. But i think dhc6twinotter´s guess with a multilink suspension is more realistic for a U400. It have a four link suspension with a panhard link. But the light angle of the frontaxle speaks more for a torque tube.

have someone a timemachine? i jump forward a month, buy two or three, jump 7 months back and post many many pics from it.

oh my godess, the secrets of this mog are making pain for my brain.

Edited by efferman