MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

How do you connect the two parts of the torque tube? Does it just click? How hard is it to separate them? Is it strong enough to keep the front and read suspensions attached to the main frame?

I did not assembled the set but Américo (m3cc0) said that they are connected with a little pressure and a click. I tested and, when they are together, its not that easy to separate them. I think this is strong enough to rough terrain usage :).

@merman

I can check that tonight.

Finally, the video:

Nice video. Good job. Engeniering masterpice, this Unimog. Can't wait till it hits the shelves. :thumbup:

Edited by Povratnik

Nice video :)

Can the crane load the demounted winch from the ground into the dump bed?

I also wonder if the turning radius could be reduced by removing/replacing the dark-bley 1,5L pins. There were similar parts that combined a 1l pin and a stud in the past (light grey) that were slightly less long than these, aren't those produced anymore?

Can the crane load the demounted winch from the ground into the dump bed?

I think so! It can even load my mobile phone! :sweet:

I also wonder if the turning radius could be reduced by removing/replacing the dark-bley 1,5L pins. There were similar parts that combined a 1l pin and a stud in the past (light grey) that were slightly less long than these, aren't those produced anymore?

I will try that and report the results.

Seems like with a single 16t cog, one can drive one of the PTOs and the compressor at the same time (if you want to). It's obvious in the last picture of the review.

think so! It can even load my mobile phone! :sweet:

Sounds great :)

And another test idea:

How much grade/slope can the Unimog handle using its winch?

Thanks for posting the video Tito!

After some hesitation I finally say that i like this set!! the most the pump and wheels!

Really like this. It feels like the culmination of a lot of different sets; some focus on drive trains (admittedly often non powered), some focus on a central gearbox, others on pneumatics - at most containing 2 of these 3 items. This model integrates these concepts into the most realistic set yet.

How many pages do all of the 5 instruction books have?

84 + 84 + 84 + 60 + 42 :wink:

Bad news here! Even with the 1,5L pins, the tire hits the mudguard beams when the axle twists (maybe this is not the right term here :)). Without the pins and with the axle stable everything is OK.

And another test idea:

How much grade/slope can the Unimog handle using its winch?

Hope this helps... :classic:

I have been following this thread with much interest and have enjoyed the video. But does anyone think that the mini pump compressor is struggling to get over the "bottom dead centre" position? Look at 4.00 - 4.10 on the video. I usually offset my compressor driving axle so that there is no resistance at the top or bottom centre positions.

On the whole I am very impressed with the model, and it is great to see that the crane jacks really do lock and bear the weight. A big improvement on my telehandler 8295.

Yeah it looks like they gave the compressor a bit too much swing, try it yoruself, if you give it a full 3l extension its performance drops compared to 2x .5 with the engine driveshaft part.

at 2,000 pieces and an assumed 150 - 170 price tag it looks like a pretty good deal, taking in account the power functions and pneumatics.

Very nice vid, Tito!

How 'bout showing the winch on the rear PTO!

and BTW, if you leave the compressor running for too long with the switches in neutral, the hoses could blow off!

This can be addressed by means of an air tank!

Very nice vid, Tito!

and BTW, if you leave the compressor running for too long with the switches in neutral, the hoses could blow off!

I'm not entirely sure right now, but I think the mini pump has an escape valve to prevent that. In either case, an air tank wouldn't help.

Oh, and great videos there! It's a shame I didn't get to go to the event to see the set in person :cry_sad:

As pointed out by Plastic Nurak, one can read Anio's 8110 Review on SeTechnic (in French and English). Although Anio said this set is "not perfect", it is a great platform on which to add your pneumatic attachments and other modifications. TLG is striking a balance between cost, complexity, and accuracy to the real Mercedes Unimog. The AFOL community has been clamoring for years for a truly massive, complex set like this -- kudos to TLG! :thumbup::classic::thumbup:

[NOTE: You can translate the original French review by copying pasting that webpage's URL into Google Translate, and translating the text into your own language].

From Tito Nobre's Flickr photoset, one can see the GREAT VARIETY of parts:

5840609567_5323f96555_b.jpg5840608509_0c748ee477_b.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Maybe next week I manage some time to show that.

Until now it neven happens.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110518144108/lego/images/thumb/7/72/8110-1.jpg/478px-8110-1.jpg

one can look at the wheels and obviously see axle holes, im confused now

Like in other wheels there are axle holes and multiple pin holes. In this case the axle holes aren't used.

Hi. I am very interested in how the "panhard rod" is used in the unimoog. from the pictures ive seen it's still hard to see how its connected to the chassis.

My questio is, is the axle statically connected on both ends or is it allowed to move slightly? It would seem that if its static than the entire suspension would move slightly to the side as the shock absorbers contract. I might be wrong since im no expert at these things.

Edited by Bulle

Hi. I am very interested in how the "panhard rod" is used in the unimoog. from the pictures ive seen it's still hard to see how its connected to the chassis.

My questio is, is the axle statically connected on both ends or is it allowed to move slightly? It would seem that if its static than the entire suspension would move slightly to the side as the shock absorbers contract. I might be wrong since im no expert at these things.

Hey Bulle, There is only one panhard bar per axle. One end of the panhard is connected to the axle, and the other end connected to the frame. You are correct, the axle does move slightly to the side as the suspension compresses. It shouldn't be too much movement though...maybe a stud or so. In real world applications (like my Toyota 4Runner), any time an aftermarket lift higher than a couple inches is installed, a longer or adjustable panhard bar is preferred to keep the axle centered. :thumbup:

Hmm, my first Mod for the Unimog.

A PF-switch. :tongue:

still can't wait till it comes out for sale.

My Mods for the Unimog:

Air tank

Towing hitch on front & rear

O-Bahn guidewheels

I Saw a Unimog dismorning on the motorway was well chuffed :sweet:

It had orange cab black panels at the back and the hi ab was behind the cab.

It was heading towards southampton!

Recently, Amazon Japan starts pre-order for #8110.

List Price is 26,250 JPY!

Actual price equals to 18,780 JPY.

In Japan, huge LEGO sets have very limited availability in some times.

I'm glad to have Unimog case may being deferent.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004OT2WKO