MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

You've omitted a "not", Gerhard ;-)

Don't these rods/beams stiffen the mounting suspension of each axis in a way that permits wide contraction of both shock absorbers at the same time?

There are two of them on the front axle too, iirc.

If there really is two on the front axle it may be a Watts linkage, rather then a Panhard Linkage. The Watts linkage gives better control of sideways movement, and works toward the center of the axle rather then the side. A panhard rod, working towards one side of the Axle, will act differently depending on the angle of the axle, and it will feel less pressie for the driver. It's however not usual to have a Watts Linkage on large off-road vehicles. It's more of a performance mod for high performance trucks like race trucks.

I'm quite certain that the real Mercedes Unimog uses a panhard rod, and think i unlikely that it should be different in this set. Especially when looking how close they have made everything else (except the steering) to the original.

Edit: Sorry, i didn't see your update before i posted.

Edited by Nazgarot

Hi guys.

My nick is M3cc0 but my name is Americo Verde, one of the guys who built the Unimog in Arte em Peças 2 -LEGO FAN EVENT in Paredes de Coura.

I´m the responsible for the mistake about the diff.

In some point i use the new diff instead the old one, a distraction.

When i saw again with more attention i fix the problem and the set is mounted without problems. I continue take the photos normally with the problem solved like you can see in the next ones.

We start building this set at 23pm until 5am... so, in a middle of a event prepare the set... things happens :)

Sorry for the mistake :)

Hope you like the photos. If you need more information, please let me know. I´ll make a extended review in a few days.

Best,

Hi guys.

My nick is M3cc0 but my name is Americo Verde, one of the guys who built the Unimog in Arte em Peças 2 -LEGO FAN EVENT in Paredes de Coura.

Ahh, so nice to reply here!

You are aware that you guys made the day for all of us who are watching this topic closely?

:laugh:

Good job on the large amount of photo 's and the fast upload on the net, thanks!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

@ M3cc0:

First: How about a litlle video?

Second: thanks for posting the extensive amount of pictures. Just by posting them you solved a lot of mysteries...

Third: were you allowed to keep the model or was it just on a loan?

Thank you for your comments.

Someone will do a video with all the functionalities working and show what is possible to do with him.

It´s very impressive, very huge and very robust.

I have curiosity too. When i open the bags, first i study the elements with very attention... What a great elements...!

Comunidade 0937 keeps the model to show in future events :)

For my first post here, I'll give you some good news. :)

I will take care of the video as soon as possible.

Appart from the playable functions, what kind of special details you guys wanna see?

Edited by Tito Nobre

For my first post here, I'll give you some good news. :)

I will take care of the video as soon as possible.

Appart from the playable functions, what kind of special details you guys wanna see?

Maybe some looks insie the model; how everyting works.

We all are waiting desperately for a detailed picture from underneath. :sweet:

Regards,

Gerhard

Edited by tripletschiee

@ m3cc0: Is it possible for you to take a picture of the inventory pages at the last pages of the instruction book? That would be great.

@ m3cc0: Is it possible for you to take a picture of the inventory pages at the last pages of the instruction book? That would be great.

I can do that too! :)

Ah yes the inventory, I can't wait to see that.

Thankyou very much guys for all the effort and posting so many pics, you made this communities day, week and month with that!

@ Tito Nobre:

I do not care that much on what is seen on the video....

As long you will make it as soon as possible....

Seriously...

Show us all the functions, how it is operated, how big/small turning-circle of the unimog itself is, the turning radius of the crane, etc etc. I've got like a million questions....

Again: Lots and lots of thanks to Comunicade 0937, Jan Beyer and anybody else who has participated in this project!

Because even the best directors can't record a movie in one take I'll let you the with some pictures while I merge all the scenes.

My Flickr

So many good parts. It's going to be a tough long wait for many of us :sadnew:

I cannot wait for this set. This really has the potential to be the most ridiculously awesome Technic set ever--and right after I get back into LEGO.

Here's a question, though. From what I've seen, the torque tubes on either side of the center diff just look like fancy enclosures for a u-joint. What's the point of them?

@zap2012

Well, I think they are not only simple fancy enclosures. Appart from the springs and the Watt Linkage (I think this is the correct name), the torque tube is the only connection between the axle and the chassis.

Torque tubes are an element of the Unimog suspension that many people are unaware of. The torque tube suspension dates back to the model T Ford which used this design for its rugged simplicity. Instead of having trailing arms, multi-link suspensions or leaf springs which limit travel and cause the axle to get awkwardly contorted at extreme angles, the Unimog incorporates front and rear torque tubes. The torque tube extends from the transmission to the axle and encases the driveshaft. The axles and gearbox are essentially connected and as a result, no trailing arms or multi link suspensions are necessary. This system allows for extreme axle articulation but prevents the axle from being contorted when it is at extreme compression or droop. It also prevents axle wind-up and axle hop, and encloses the driveshafts and protects them from obstacles and the elements.
in http://www.unimogcentre.com/unimogprinc.html#TorquetubeTubeSuspension

The video will be available soon! :classic:

Because even the best directors can't record a movie in one take I'll let you the with some pictures while I merge all the scenes.

My Flickr

Many thanks for the inventory!! 8868 is waiting nervous for his big brother :)

My Flickr

Thanks!

This gives us a nice view of what can be expected :classic:

I was wondering, second page, first row. The grey parts, the second one as seen from below; is this also a new part?

Edited by bord4kop

Thanks!

This gives us a nice view of what can be expected :classic:

I was wondering, second page, first row. The grey parts, the second one as seen from below; is this also a new part?

No, not a new part.

How do you connect the two parts of the torque tube? Does it just click? How hard is it to separate them? Is it strong enough to keep the front and read suspensions attached to the main frame?

Thanks for the pictures and answers!

Great photos! Obrigado! :classic:

How do you connect the two parts of the torque tube? Does it just click? How hard is it to separate them? Is it strong enough to keep the front and read suspensions attached to the main frame?

Thanks for the pictures and answers!

I also have that question. Tito, you're the best person to answer it.

I'm anxious to see the video :sweet:

Edited by deAraujo