MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

This thing is amazing, it may not be perfect, but it's the closest TLG have come in at least decade and a half, maybe the closest they have ever come to perfection.

I agree. This is the best Technic set I've seen in a long time, even better than 8043. :thumbup:

Going through the pictures again and noticed something...

5818759458_313b64c772_b.jpg

Anyone notice the dump truck box on the bottom right? :sweet:

It looks similar to Han's design.

It's too bad that these parts will probably not be available from Lego Pick-A-Brick, to be able to build numerous Trial Trucks without disassembling the Unimog:

5820346773_4bb5ac28ec_z.jpg5820343551_679ef6f583_z.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if those parts were available from Lego Direct right now if you have the part number...

I ordered 100 of the new CV Axles(The new piece from the 8070 supercar) The day after it was released... Also stocked up and several hundred of the older CV Joints...

can you gif me the link of lego-direct

Just go to your country's Lego Shop at home Web Page and call them and press the number on your phone's keypad(Or ask) for replacement parts... You'll need the part number from the back of the instruction manual or you can find the part number at bricklink by going into the inventory for a model and then scroll to the bottom of the page and then click "Show part color codes" and the page will reload and the 7 digit part number will appear in blue...

5820346773_4bb5ac28ec_z.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of axle goes into the dark grey part in this image? It doesn't seem to accept a regular axle, but whatever's in there also needs to go through a gear.

Edited by mahjqa

To be honest, I'm disapointed too. The new parts seem to be quite special to this kind of model. I would be more happy with a model built only from old pieces.

Yeah, shame on LEGO for not making up this model of 2 x 4 bricks!

Yet another traumatic event in the Life of a Lego Fan...

:wink:

Anyways, this masterpiece is surely going to be one big time hit.

Can't wait and see what these new parts can do if used in agricultural machinery MOCing - like self-levelling combines, etc.

A few months ago I stopped reading + posting on Lego community sites.

I dropped in here too see what's new with the Unimog. But this thread reminds me that the relationship of some fans with TLG is just too weird for me.

Let down? Disappointed?

It's just plastic for building toys with.

It takes many sorts to make a world, but personally I wouldn't want my happiness to depend so much on the commercial choices of a Danish corporation.

If I visit the train forum, it's overwhelmed by fanatics obsessed with "the wanton destruction by TLG of their investment in 9V".

If I visit town, I'm knocked back by oddballs who are just distraught and simply can't even eat or drink because TLG "included the same minifig as last year's set, and it's not a new face, and OMG, it's not even back-printed, I can't believe TLG are so cheap, they've ruined my life".

And in here, the last bastion of Eurobricks sanity, I run across people whining their disappointment about the largest and most complex Technic set ever produced.

:devil:

It takes many sorts to make a world, but personally I wouldn't want my happiness to depend so much on the commercial choices of a Danish corporation.

I'm disapointed by the model because of how the model is built. But my happyness does not depend on a model.

I will buy the model, I will build it and have fun. Nevertheless, I will still think it could have been better designed.

Ok, the 2 axles are great and will much improve the TT the AFOLs may build. It is also very nice to get a big pneumatic model.

But the way the middle of the chassis is built is very muddleheaded. Sorry to say that, but using U-joint to transmit the movement for "regular" functions (by regular functions I mean no steering wheel or transmission to the engine, cause in these cases the use of U-joint is very understandable) is a way AFOL build their MOC, not Lego designers.

And in that aspect, I think the model is disapointing, even if overall it is still a great model.

I run across people whining their disappointment about the largest and most complex Technic set ever produced.

8043 is much more complex.

More generally, the pneumatic models are not the most complex sets.

Edited by Anio

[snip]

8043 is much more complex.

More generally, the pneumatic models are not the most complex sets.

You know what he means right? :wink:

Uh... No ! I may have miss something. :look:

Very excited for the set. Can't wait to have it in my hands. Well, at least I'll get my 8258 Crane Truck on Tuesday to bridge the time :)

Edit: Why are there numbered bags in a flagship :oh3:

You are surprised about that? It is a very complex set that can be broken up into very distinct parts (chassis, driver's cab, crane-arm and bucket). 8043 didn't have numbered bags, but I know that for example Modular Houses do, and modular houses are also very large sets (over 2000 parts) and can be broken in very distinct sections. 8053 Mobile Crane is also a Technic set with numbered bags, because you build the crane part and the car part separately.

Also, in this picture you can clearly see the red pins which attach the driver's cab to the chassis, next to the yellow pinwheels for the steering. You can also see how the crane and bucket on the back are not on it, but with a few pins (far left edge of the photo, and right to the left of the pinwheels) where the bucket can be placed:

8110_air_view.jpg

The main draw of this set for me is that it's got motorised pneumatics and all it's wonderful new parts and all the details never seen before in an official technic set. I'm already planning some mods for this set which once implemented will make it the best set of all time.

1) add pneumatic stableisers. I understand that for TLG to add these would have made it a bit more expensive, but I hate these non-functions that have the control knob attatched directly to the function itself.

2) Redesign the gearbox. Make it all less MOCish and more complex by reconfiguring it so the motor can drive the wheels when selected whilst also driving the engine at all times.

The gearbox and the stableisers kinda looks unfinished/lacking in complexity and the most expensive technic set should not need modding. However these minor issues are understandable if the time of the designer was taken up designing those lovely new parts :grin: and i'm far from dissapointed with the set as a whole. Besides I recon it's got around 50 gears. Combined with the motorised pneumatics with all it's valves and tubing and the suspention/4wd setup with it's realistic hub gearboxes, panhard bars and torque tubes I would consider it MORE complex than the 8043 (and a BAJILLION times better), which had about 70 gears but nothing else complexity wise and unrealistic mechanisms.

Oh, almost forgot

3) enable the steering wheel!

Edited by allanp

How stiff are the new Unimog's shock absorbers?

The stiffest yet arnt they :) .

Are you going to redisgn the pump? or has it got enough power?

We'll have to see. It's using double the stroke that the 8868 used but at a slower rpm (bloody internal motor gearing!) so I may just speed it up a bit because my pneumatic stableisers mod will need a bit more speed to lift the entire truck quickly. As the set is tho this pump should be plenty powerful enough.

Edited by allanp

I looked carefully all the pictures, and I do not get how the engine works.

582035724945ac77ca15o.jpg

58203560037fcf53df20o.jpg

Green : the steering mechanism. Ok, everyone see how it works.

Yellow : the transmission, for the engine. The middle differential really seems not to be linked to the DBG 16t clutch above.

But I guess the model will have a working L4, though (a fake fake engine would be too bad). The easiest way to link the gears would be to use a 4L differential, as Crowkiller did a while ago.

5820346773_4bb5ac28ec_z.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of axle goes into the dark grey part in this image? It doesn't seem to accept a regular axle, but whatever's in there also needs to go through a gear.

That is a good question...

That is a good question...

Well judging on the slots of the 16t gears the axles are dark grey

maybe these parts: 92906.jpg

Edited by merman

My guess is that it's just a standard axle, or maybe an axle with stop. The hole in the middle of the dark grey piece seems large enough, I guess there is a cross hole deeper inside the hole.

As for how the diff drives the engine, I've just come across this. Look at the intructions.

Unimog Assembly - 2nd Arte em Peças - Comunidade 0937 - 176

The image at the top is saying not to use the newer differencial, but the older one. I had suspected that they had used the wrong diff here in construction, now I know.

That picture, which I attached, is interessting: They mounted the crane at the front of the Unimog. Very nice, that this is possible. Obvioulsy the attachment-points are the same on both ends of the Mog.

BTW: for those, who are "disappointed" about the new portal-axle-part and its one-time-usability.

There are two 4WD-cars in the Technic-Lego history: 8880 and 8466. Both cars have special parts for their 4WD: 2999, 6540 and 873c01. For the 8880 the hubs even need special rims to use them. So IMHO it is more than OK, that Lego developed a new part for this special need.

Regards,

Gerhard

post-5849-130788806643.jpg

Very, very well seen, Allanp !

It is indeed a 4L diff in the little light blue inventory.

What is strange is that on the 1:1 scaled drawing, it doesn't seem to be a 4L diff, neither a 3L one.

And on the next page, it does not seems either to be a 4L diff.

:wacko:

Edited by Anio

What a pity. They get the Unimog so early and then they fail to pick the right differential :grin:

Thanks allanp and Anio, I was asking myself the same question and I am happy to see the solution now.

@Anio

I can understand what you man by unfinished design when it comes to the gearbox. Maybe Comunidade 0937 made another mistake and the original version will be more clean and sturdy?

Can you get a deal with Peek&Poke for the Unimog like you did for the 8043?

@Anio

I can understand what you man by unfinished design when it comes to the gearbox. Maybe Comunidade 0937 made another mistake and the original version will be more clean and sturdy?

Can you get a deal with Peek&Poke for the Unimog like you did for the 8043?

Haha. :laugh:

It seems TLG didn't appreciate that the set was revealed before they expected (even if my review was a very positiv criticism).

But now, TLG seems to have learn its lesson and get the situation under control. Now, they choose the LUG they want in order to reveal the set.

I think that a comprehensive review would have been better to know what the model has really in him, though.

As for the diff, it is an old 4L diff. I do not see what else it could be.

Edited by Anio