Sign in to follow this  
Clone OPatra

WINTER BREAK: Bathilda Bagshot's House

Though I very rarely MOC at all, once I saw this contest I thought I might as well give it a go. I'm a big Harry Potter fan (if you couldn't already tell from my recent-ish HP review), so I figured trying to build something HP-related was a good way to get back into building, a little.

For my entry, I decided to build Bathilda Bagshot's Gordic's Hollow home, as I'd imagined it in my head. In the film they turned it into a row-house, which could be accurate for a quaint village in England, but I'd always imagined it as a spooky little freestanding cottage where no one could hear you scream. Ok, I just threw in that bit about not hearing you scream, that's not really important. I attempted to make the whole building a little wonky or unrealistic to give it that HP vibe, since I feel like every single building in the films is impossibly crooked or designed in some way. I have also now updated it from my original MOC to seem a bit more rundown.

Anyway, without further ado… an overall picture of the MOC. You can see the heroes following the mysterious old woman to her walkway, and of course the ramshackle cottage.

5370493374_371d2992d6_b.jpg

I purposefully styled the snow to be a bit melted, but still there. You can also see better here the weathered chimney and poorly patched hole in the roof.

5370495904_e25ea745a2_z.jpg

Here's the back side. The three ascending windows are placed where the staircase would be inside. I built the house so that there could be an interior, but I did not add one apart from a fireplace do to part constraints.

5369887409_f43d6fb9b9_o.jpg

The snow is a bit more melted on this side. I imagined that the sun would shine more heavily on this side of the house.

5369887701_381bbe95d6_o.jpg

Finally, here are our unhappy-looking heroes following the silent old lady (snake).

5370494988_7c34d84faf_o.jpg

For some more views, see my Flickr set.

Please honestly tell me what you think, and if there are any more improvements you think I could make. Entries aren't final until Feb 1st, so I will try to modify if I think I can accomplish your suggestions. Thanks very much!

I like the ramshackle nature of Bathilda's house. Perhaps some more snow on the front door eave, larger brown windows on the front wall second floor with frames hanging awkwardly and some more loose timber on the front. Some dark tan highlights on the walls may increase the rustic look. Even try a hole in the roof with hasty repairs made. A long since dead tree out of skellie arms might look good too. There is some ideas for you to try mate. :classic:

Great creation, Clone O'Patra! ) :thumbup:

Exactly the way I imagined her house, while reading the book. (I can't really remember it from the film well.....) I really like the old chaotical look of the house, which represents the general feeling of the scene very well. And it seems Hermione has gained some weight! :laugh:

Thanks for sharing. looking forward to seeing more HP (and not only) MOCs from you! ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Very nice entry CloneyO! I really like the overall spooky vibe of this house. I think ISC pretty much covers all the possible additions to improve your entry. But if I may just add, the white snow on the roof looks a bit lacking and 'inconsistent', so you might want to put in more white tiles/plates there to cover more roof area. Looking forward for your revised version soon. :wink:

Bathilda's house was a great idea, and you built an amazing MOC for it. The run-down look is great, and it looks just like it did in the film, and the way I imagined it when I read the part in the book. Good luck with the competition!

The run-down look is great, and it looks just like it did in the film, and the way I imagined it when I read the part in the book.

Actually, it looks nothing like it did in the film at all. In the film, the house was a row-house wedged between a bunch of others, as especially evidence by when Harry breaks through the wall into a child's brightly lit room when he is fighting the snake.

Anyway, thanks very much for your suggestions ISC and Kiel. I have been heavily modifying my original MOC today, and I will soon be ready to take a new set of pictures of the enhanced version. Your suggestions have helped me very much!

Actually, it looks nothing like it did in the film at all. In the film, the house was a row-house wedged between a bunch of others, as especially evidence by when Harry breaks through the wall into a child's brightly lit room when he is fighting the snake.

I remember him falling into the child's room, but I could swear the building looked like your's from outside. But, I suppose I'm probably wrong, so thanks for correcting me. :thumbup:

Thanks again guys for your suggestions so far. I have now updated the first post with pictures of the new version of the MOC, which I must admit looks much better than the first version. I'm still happy to improve it more if anyone has some more suggestions!

I also tried building a skellie arm tree, but it came out looking like a black clothing umbrella. I'm satisfied with the even more bare-bones dead tree that I built, though.

Please tell me what you think!

Wow Great Entry and great new Pictures Cloney O'

I must say, I really love the building and the melting snow ads even more creepyness if you ask me. The Roof is simpel but Nice, and that poorly patched hole in the roof is fantastic ! :thumbup:

The Minifigures do look nice too, I like that Harry hair :wink: and Bathilda Bagshot is perfect.

Ps : As much as I love that first pictures, the rules clearly said : "No added text or effects"... I don't know if the name of the creation is part of that... Just wondering...

Ps : As much as I love that first pictures, the rules clearly said : "No added text or effects"... I don't know if the name of the creation is part of that... Just wondering...

Ah, you are correct. Luckily, I had already uploaded nearly the same picture in a plain version to my Flickr, so I've swapped that in. Thanks very much for pointing that out.

The rules don't say anything about having a p-shopped picture in your sig, though :wink:

Looks a lot better, I have to say. The extra snow and hole on the roof add a lot to the rugged, worn down look. The only thing I would change is the base, the path leading from the house. It's neat, but I prefer a solid, square lawn. Just my opinion.

Nice technique with the white teeth pieces, by the way. They make a convincing snow effect.

Love the changes and the photo of the figures from a low-down perspctive.

Edited by Cara

Excellent entry! It is highly detailed and I agree that it has a very ramshackle look and feel to it. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~