Sirius Black

WINTER BREAK ENTRY: Ministry of Magic: Magic is Might

The Ministry of Magic: Magic is Might

I have finally finished the model, and hope that you enjoy viewing it as much as I enjoyed building it! Final piece count is 976.

To start off, this is based on the scene from Deathly Hallows where the trio has managed to break into the Ministry, steal the locket horcrux, and is now trying to get out through the floo network, while being pursued by dementors and Death Eaters.

To start off, lets provide a reference shot of what i was designing. The focus of this model was on both the statue and the two office towers. The only thing i did not design was the Wizards on the top of the statue, it just didn't work out well with the piece count.

ministry-of-magic.jpg

This is definitely a lot to work with!

For WIP shots go to the following link

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=458648

And now for the finished model! We'll start out with an action shot of the trio racing for the floo network, death eaters hot on their heels, and dementors hovering nearby. You can see the statue in the background. Run, Harry, Run!

img_1864.jpg

Now, from a different angle. Harry precariously holds on to the locket, while Hermione narrowly avoids a spell fired by a death eater. It strikes the floor, sparking a small explosion. A hapless citizen is shoved aside by the death eaters pursuing Harry, while Dementors swoop down.

img_1856.jpg

And now for a wide-angle shot. You can see the two office segments. These took up the bulk of the bricks of the model, and getting the windows right took a while, as did the roofs. you can see the same death eater knocking over another citizen. Poor guy, he looks worried. But, anyone would be in his place, so we'll just move along

img_1887.jpg

And the final image. You can see a reporter from the daily prophet snapping an image that will make the Daily Prophet's front page tomorrow. "Potter and Co strike again!"

img_1896.jpg

So, that's the model! I hope that you enjoyed it, and also hope to get a few votes (come on people, lets say 51% :grin: , just joking, its up to you) in the contest. Enjoy!

Sirius.

Edited by Sirius Black

Hot dayum.

This looks like a possible masterpiece if you do it within the piece limit! :sweet:

This looks like an excellent entry so far! It looks just like the real thing. :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see it finished. :classic:

Very well done so far. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Edit: My 800th post. :grin:

Edited by buddy

Looking great so far Sirius Black (the first!). I love how you built the center statue, so accurately smooth and the white minifig details in the side base are very nice. The arch is well done too, looking forward for the completion of this entry! :wink:

Looks well on it's way! The statue looks like it will be quite interesting :classic:

This is incredibly promising. I can already imagine how those windows are going to fit in. 1000 pieces is gonna be tight, but she is gonna be a beauty!

Damn this is good!!

The statue is brilliant, can't wait to see it finished.

Like others have said it'll be interesting to see how you can keep it under the brick limit but I hope even when the contest is over you continue the project as this could look amazing!

Damn this is good!!

The statue is brilliant, can't wait to see it finished.

Like others have said it'll be interesting to see how you can keep it under the brick limit but I hope even when the contest is over you continue the project as this could look amazing!

Thanks!

The brick limit is frustrating at times (you can see what I did with the flooring) but I should be able to complete the model. I am estimating 300 bricks more for the towers. I may continue it, but i am starting work on parts of a full-scale (yes, full scale) Hogwarts. Naturally, i haven't been able to get much done, but i may upload it in a week or so.

I appreciate all of the comments that all of you have made about this. Hopefully the final product will be up within the week.

When i upload the final model, should I edit my first post, or just add a post onto the thread? Contest moderators, please advise me on this.

Sirius I

When i upload the final model, should I edit my first post, or just add a post onto the thread? Contest moderators, please advise me on this.

I'm not a mod, but you should update your first post. That way, people can easily pop into your entry thread and look at the model without having to scroll down or be confused why the first post only contains half-finished pics. Always put what you are entering in your first post.

By the way, your flooring and statue look great so far, if a bit massive. Not that massive is bad, but I can tell this may turn out to be hard to do in the piece limit and perfectly include all of the details. I can't wait to see how you finish it up.

This is looking great so far! You chose a very difficult location, and you pulled it off excellently. I can't wait to see it finished. Good luck!

Looks great, very movie accurate. I like what you did with the arch and the polygonal buildings. It's too bad you couldn't use more pieces though, I think it would've looked even better with multiple stories for the buildings. Do you plan on adding on to it after the contest?

Very well done final version of your entry Sirius! The perspective shot of the first photo looks great, and the action poses of the minifigs, especially the flying dementors, are very effectively positioned. The back shot of the build looks a bit empty, but I think you already did your best within the piece count limit. Good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Looks great, very movie accurate. I like what you did with the arch and the polygonal buildings. It's too bad you couldn't use more pieces though, I think it would've looked even better with multiple stories for the buildings. Do you plan on adding on to it after the contest?

I know, that was the one of the two main things i wanted to do. I am unsure if i want to continue it, as my Fire Brigade looks like it went through a war :laugh: . It got raided pretty heavily for parts.

Anyway, glad you like it!

Very well done final version of your entry Sirius! The perspective shot of the first photo looks great, and the action poses of the minifigs, especially the flying dementors, are very effectively positioned. The back shot of the build looks a bit empty, but I think you already did your best within the piece count limit. Good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments about the action shot, I wasn't quite sure about it. About the back, I had wanted to do the side arches, but there was no way I could do that with the available parts. I had about 400 bricks with which I had to finish the towers, statue, and figures, so I was really crammed as iit was. I would much have preferred a 1500 brick limit, but I'm satisfied and pleased with the way this turned out.

Sirius I

My goodness, that's a brilliant MOC! It's so full of action and fighting, it looks amazing! I love all the "muggles" and the flying dementors. You've captured the scene from the film perfectly. Well done! I hope you do well in the contest!

A hard place to convert in LEGO, but you managed to do it pretty well. The first shot is really amazing, it looks like a crowded place and like there's a lot of action going on there. The overall shot breaks that illusion, but it still looks really good. The statue looks nice and so are the beginnings of the Ministry cabinets. I do have to say: the statue looks a bit too big. Perhaps you could make it smaller one day and then also adding offices on the top of it. Good luck in the contest! :classic:

:wub: WOW sirius long time since i haven't seen or spoken to you :tongue:. This entry is simply fantastic, the dementors, Harry running away, The large monument of the muggles pushing up that ministry sign, also I love the buildings next to it, to resemble minsitry office's. :classic:. Love it! :thumbup:

-Professor.

A hard place to convert in LEGO, but you managed to do it pretty well. The first shot is really amazing, it looks like a crowded place and like there's a lot of action going on there. The overall shot breaks that illusion, but it still looks really good. The statue looks nice and so are the beginnings of the Ministry cabinets. I do have to say: the statue looks a bit too big. Perhaps you could make it smaller one day and then also adding offices on the top of it. Good luck in the contest! :classic:

That was one of the things that I was trying to avoid with this model, but with the piece count, and the scale I was trying to use, it does have giant gaps with absolutely nothing going on :angry: . And i wouldn't really say that the statue is too large, but that the rest of the ministry is too small :grin: . The statue was the first thing that I did, and i tried to build everything else to fit with it. I did want to do it with two stories of office buildings, but i ran out of space with the parts count.

Sirius