Hi everyone! I recently purchased and familiarising with a new Sony camera from Harvey Norman! And here's my review of my 8053 Mobile Crane!

dsc000119655018.jpg

Rear End

dsc000139672002.jpg

Righthand Side

dsc000149681856.jpg

'Minifig' view

dsc000159689670.jpg

It has 8-wheel steering!

dsc000169698708.jpg

dsc000179708319.jpg

Hook stored on front for safety while travelling!

dsc000189716652.jpg

The small thumbwheel at the back extends the outriggers and the stablizers are lowered!

dsc000199723683.jpg

dsc000209731257.jpg

dsc000219739503.jpg

First the boom is raised. I've used my hand because sometimes the motor isn't powerful enough.

dsc000229747246.jpg

dsc000239754876.jpg

dsc000249761630.jpg

Secondly, the boom is extended and the hook is lowered, ready to lift a load!

dsc000259770799.jpg

dsc000269780524.jpg

dsc000279788058.jpg

dsc000289795724.jpg

I got this for Christmas! Although I really wanted the motorized excavator...

It now reminds me of a real crane on my street installing a swimming pool in a backyard!

This actually isn't so much as review, as it is showing us pictures of Mobile Crane. :sweet: Anyway, nice test of your new camera.

I don't like this set personally , the battery pack looks really bad sticking up on the rear too, get the 8043 excavator u won't regret it!

I have the set, haven't build the mobile crane but liked a lot (once MOD) the harbor crane.

I agree on the battery pack, it should have at least some kind of cover.

I like this set actually..but I wish it was bigger or bigger than the 8421. It's too small, hence the placement of the battery box. Lego needs to come out with the next big crane! A REAL big crane..the descendent of the 8421. :classic:

Just got this set and built it over the weekend. I already have the new mini mobile crane as well as the 8421 Mobile Crane, so I've got both extremes to compare to.

Have to say, a little disappointed in the main model here. The outriggers are pure decoration. There's so much wobble in them it's ridiculous. It IS a very ingenious mechanism though... so just depends on if you like the workings or if you want it to actually work.

Also, it's as long as the 8421 but not as tall. It was actually bigger than I expected. The wheels are smaller and more off-road style, which seems counter-productive to me. If you wanted something with more rugged ability, you'd want big wheels, not smaller.

Some oddities in the details too. For example, the 8053 and 8421 have the same size seats in the cabin, but 8053 uses the small steering wheel from the mini instead of the larger wheel from the 8421.

Playing with it by hand (I have the parts to motorize it, but haven't installed them yet) is a pain. Takes SO long to extend the boom or raise it. I do like the gearbox to control everything about the crane from one axle though, and having knobs on both sides is a great benefit.

All three models are built the same way. A truck base with a separate crane module that attaches. Weirdly, the 8053 has the most complex connection between the two parts. The 8421 uses just 4 pins to hold the crane to the truck. The 8053 has 4 axles sticking up plus SIX pins to connect. I think that's because the 8053 truck portion is too flexible in the middle (due to having the outriggers mounted in there with all their mechanisms) and so relies on the crane to give the whole truck strength.

Price-wise, 8053 is the best deal. It's about the same price per part as the 8421 was, but I think 8421 used a lot of that part count in small studded parts. And obviously, you can't get 8421 for retail price anymore ;) On the other hand, 8421 DID include motor and battery box... I'd have to say though, considering retail price of 8053 is only 4x the cost of 8067 mini, it's way more than 4x the set.

I plan however, to take 8053 apart and build the B-model. I think it looks far more interesting.

2 decals are left on the sticker sheet...Where can I place them?

The remaining decals (with the single white stripe) go on BOTH SIDES (front and back) of the two black 3 x 3 T-shaped Technic Liftarms surrounding the pulley wheel at the very end of the crane hook assembly. See Instruction Book 3, Page 59, Step 7 -- the T-shaped black liftarms are supposed to use up FOUR decals. I think you mistakenly used two of the single-white-stripe decals on the back of the rig, on the small Dark Bluish Grey liftarms:

dsc000139672002.jpghero_postcard3.jpg8053stk01.jpg

Edited by DLuders

hero_postcard3.jpg [/img]

Are these instructions somewhere to download ? Because I can't see the batterybox here. :thumbup: Or are those remotes not for that model ?

Edited by Dutch_EE

Are these instructions somewhere to download ? Because I can't see the batterybox here. :thumbup: Or are those remotes not for that model ?

You can download the 8053-1 Mobile Crane's three Building Instruction booklets (PDF files) for the Main Model on the Lego Customer Service website. Just type in the set number, and click on the three files that pop up.

8053-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

No, the two Power Functions IR Remote Control units don't come with the standard set. See this BRICKS MAL review for more info.

Edited by DLuders