Sign in to follow this  
Izzy

WINTER BREAK: Godric's Hollow Church...

Godric's Hollow Church, Graveyard and Square.

5397394568_1574d368a0_z.jpg

"All this snow!" Hermione whispered, "Why didn't we think of the snow? After all our precautions, we'll leave prints!"The little lane along which they were walking curved to the left and the heart of the village, a small square, was revealed to them. Strung all around with coloured lights, there was what looked like a War memorial in the middle... There were several shops... and a little church whose stained glass windows were glowing jewel-bright across the square."

5396755301_00edbefb77_z.jpg

At the entrance to the graveyard there is a kissing gate, beyond is white marble tombstones covered in snow.

5397375208_9a90c4f1a5_z.jpg

Behind the church row upon row of snowy tombstones protruded from a blanket of pale blue that was flecked with dazzling red, gold and green wherever the reflections from the stained glass hit the snow.

5397349418_e3b1a5e489_z.jpg

Harry and Hermione enter Godric's Hollow Graveyard and find where Harry's parents are buried. The tombstone reads "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.Hermione raised her wand, moved it in a circle through the air and a wreath of Christmas roses blossomed before them. Harry caught it and laid it on his parents' grave."

5359628056_31718034f2_z.jpg

This statue is a functional play piece for this scene, using a turn table piece. It can be turned as the wizards walk past to 'transform' from the War Memorial into the Potter Family Memorial.

"Half way across the square Hermione stopped dead. "Harry, look!" She was pointing at the War memorial. As they passed it, it had transformed. Instead of an obelisk covered in names, there was a statue of three people: a man with untidy hair and glasses, a woman with long hair and a kind, pretty face, and a baby boy sitting in his mother's arms."

The footsteps in the snow is a really nice touch, the statue is good too... well done!

Excellent entry Iz! I simply love the overall snowy surroundings, which is articulated by the patches of snow in the roof and trees, as well as the visible footsteps on the ground. The church is very well built, the glass mosaic window and crucifix are particularly nice details. It's also good to see the turning dual-sided obelisk in the entrance and the variation of the marble tombstone designs. Great job and best of luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Nice Creation Cutlass Iz !

The Church looks nice and that colored bit on the front is so ingenious and lovely :wub:

I really like the statue, so much better than the one by cralegoboy, if I may speak my mind in such a clear way.

The Gravyard looks okay though the tombs look a bit too simpel... The flowers on James and Lily's Tomb copuld have been of real flower, I think it would have been icer than these plates you used ( recycled from the Winter Toy Shop, I presume ?)

Netherless This creations really gives me a warm feeling and I really love the entire thing. You're lucky Hinckley destroyed the 32x32 baseplate rule, because this has to be the biggest entry yet ! Talking about these baseplates, I suggest you try to cover these gasps between the white baseplates, because that makes it a bit ugly :look:

The hole thing is sweet !

Good job and best of luck in the Contest !

Very nice Iz. I love the church. Over the past few years, I tried making a few small-sized churches for my fictitious town of Grave Stone (of the spooky variety). This size is perfect and it has some really fine details including the cross design, the stain glassed window in the front, and the areas of snow on the roof (great idea in fact). I like the addition of the lamp posts with Christmas lights adding to the time of year. Great scene, and it's great to see that you have a good amount of white baseplates (I'm sure they come in handy). :thumbup:

Oh no! :oh3:

You made just the same scene as I've planned doing, Izzy! I guess I only have myself to blame since I haven't even started building yet :blush:

I will see if I'll still make it or come up with something new.

Aaaanyway, I think it's a really nice MOC and there are a lot of different details I especially appreciate. The stained glass of the church, the partially snow covered roof and the Christmas decorations. I envy your white foliage pieces, I would really want to have a few of those. The dog at the lamp post is a fun detail too :tongue:

Good luck! :sweet:

Wow, that is very impressive! It's so full of wonderful details, and it is very film/book accurate! Good luck with the contest!

The Gravyard looks okay though the tombs look a bit too simple... The flowers on James and Lily's Tomb could have been of real flower, I think it would have been nicer than these plates you used ( recycled from the Winter Toy Shop, I presume ?)

You're lucky Hinckley destroyed the 32x32 baseplate rule, because this has to be the biggest entry yet ! Talking about these baseplates, I suggest you try to cover these gasps between the white baseplates, because that makes it a bit ugly :look:

Thank you for your comments Geertos, I think that the graveyard is meant to fairly simple. I can't think of what else a couple of rows of marble tombstones could have. As for the wreath, yes it was used as a wreath in The Winter Toy Shop set but also in the book Hermione magics up a wreath so I thought it would be perfect.

I am very glad that our dear Hinck changes the baseplate rules as I commented at the time, I needed more space for my large scene. Until LEGO creates a larger baseplate in white, I will make do with a few smaller ones. I could have used up all my piece count trying to cover that up, but I chose to use my piece count for little details here and there instead. Hopefully it will not detract too much as it is not something I can really do too much about with only 1000 pieces. :sweet:

The footsteps in the snow is a really nice touch, the statue is good too... well done!

Thanks! I really liked he idea of using a 1x1 for footprints as the LEGO fig has square feet like that. Too cute!

Excellent entry Iz! *snip* Great job and best of luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Thank You KDM! I love getting such detailed comments like yours. Different things stand out to different people and I am always interested to know. Thanks again! :sweet:

I like it, but the Graveyard is a little bit simple.

Thanks hoiharry, any thoughts on how you might make it more interesting?

Very nice Iz. I love the church.

Thank You for your comments TheBrickster, I must say a big Thank You to my very kind and lovely boyfriend for supplying me with some extra White Bases and many more small pieces (as my collection is not what I would like it to be). I also made my first ever PaB order. Very fun.

Oh no! :oh3:

You made just the same scene as I've planned doing, Izzy! *snip* I envy your white foliage pieces, I would really want to have a few of those. The dog at the lamp post is a fun detail too :tongue:

Awww poor Pretzel, please don't make this scene as well, you are such a great builder and would surely put me to shame. :blush:

Again to Thank my boyfriend for supplying these foliage pieces, I really want some more, they are awesome.

Wow, that is very impressive! It's so full of wonderful details, and it is very film/book accurate! Good luck with the contest!

Thanks a bunch! I have been working on this since the day the contest was announced. Lots of research! :wink:

Very nice, Iz! Geertos is right, the statue is much better than mine... I guess I just don't have the pieces to make it look as good as yours. Great job, and good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

I really like the statue, so much better than the one by cralegoboy, if I may speak my mind in such a clear way.

Way to crush a guys dreams... :cry_sad: Just kidding, this is a lot better than mine. I wouldn't have pointed it out if I were in your shoes, but no harm done I suppose.

EDIT: Grr... Posting thing doesn't like me today...

Edited by cralegoboy

Thanks cralegboy. Good luck to you too!

I'm a big fan of this. It may look fairly simple but it captures the scene from the movie so well.

I don't think it is simple really i just think it looks understated and that is authentic.

Great job!

Very nice, Iz! Geertos is right, the statue is much better than mine... I guess I just don't have the pieces to make it look as good as yours. Great job, and good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Way to crush a guys dreams... :cry_sad: Just kidding, this is a lot better than mine. I wouldn't have pointed it out if I were in your shoes, but no harm done I suppose.

Sorry about that Cralegoboy, That was very hard of me, I'm going back to look for your entry right now. I have to put some things right :)

I did a piece count and realised that I could make a few changes, so I added those white plates to cover the ugly gaps between the plate.

Before I added the plates and changed the tree my count was at...

Graves, figs and the tree 105

Right fence and trapping 43

Left Fence and trappings 46

Christmas lights and posts90

Statue 39

Church 457

Snow and Base plates 91

Totaling at 871, so I didn't count the added plates, but at a guess I'd say there is around 50 tops and that's being generous. So I guess that means I am still under. :sweet:

Yay!

Waah Great job Cutlass Iz !

It's wonderfull now :thumbup:

871 ? Awesome, I don't think you need it, but you still got some pieces left for extra detail :wink:

Best of luck in the contest :classic:

Edited by Geertos13

This is definately one of my favourites! really like the whole feel of the scene. A story well told visually!

Thanks again Vindice. :blush: I am pretty fond of this scene myself. I do not usually put so much effort into anything I create, but this competition has really caught my interest.

I have had so much fun adding a whole bunch more stuff to this scene after I took the last pictures. To have it a but more like in the books description. And I think I will keep adding to it if I can bear to spare the pieces. I just might end up adding in that Post Office and such! :wub:

Great job, Cutlass Iz! :wink: The first version was already nice, but it's looking even nicer adding more white plates. This is a very lovely scene and it reminds me very much of the film scene. The church looks great for the little scale it's been build in, I especially like the stained glass. The statue with the turntable looks also very good, nice idea. The whole scene has a lovely wintery feeling. The foot prints are also a nice touch! Good luck in the contest.