cb4

MOC: A busy shipyard

Yes, I think I would like a more solid line of color. I need to go through my inventory to see what colors I have for 1x1 plates. I only have four of the dark brown and they're all on there already :pir-sceptic: I don't have many in any particular color so it's a bit of a challenge. I might do some kind of checker pattern if I can find colors I like.

I wanted to do the rudder attachments in grey, but I don't have the right pieces, so I compromised on blue.

Because the ship is built out instead of up, it's pretty easy to go back and change those type of details.

Superstructure and standing rigging is next. I think it will be two masted - perhaps a topsail schooner rig. Something easy and cheap to operate!

The deck is removable for maintenance purposes - here's a bonus picture of the interior:

5475578302_304972870c_b.jpg

Wow, this is incredible! A lovely way of showcasing your build and a brilliant, innovative technique. The minifig-illusion scale ships seem to be enjoying a golden age at the moment, with more and more beautiful and creative designs coming out.

The ship is looking wonderful. Colour can be fixed later I assume, so I won't comment on that. Despite the difficulty of building on top of the hull due to it's shape, I think you've pulled it off. The first picture in your second most recent update shows that. I really cannot wait to see this finished. I have a soft spot for smaller ships, so I really like this. :pir-classic:

:thumbup:

Your ship is looking better and better.

The 1x1 round plates really look nice, I don't think I've ever seen that technique used before.

Thanks for sharing :jollyroger:

After much experimentation, here is another update:

5495533914_463ca14d81_b.jpg

5495533970_6cc7d68972_b.jpg

5494941507_48dc72e96c_b.jpg

5495534148_8ac0cbe2b1_b.jpg

5494941697_e9ae9931c1_b.jpg

Now I need to buy a lot of string...

Very nice! :thumbup: Beautiful shape and I like this colourscheme more.

I only think the stern would look better if it were protruding a little more and a bit sloped like this:

Schooner.jpg

(right now only the coloured part around the stern is protruding which I don't like much.

Is your ship going to be a schooner? Do you have a reference picture?

I would love to do a sloped stern post, but then I would need to find a way to hang the rudder off that in a nice way - this ship is so small that it isn't very forgiving of complexity. Right now the rudder clearance is less than the thickness of a plate - much more than that and you see a LOT of daylight. If the stern post isn't vertical then the axis or rotation of the rudder won't be vertical either and then things get unpleasant. You either need to align your hinges with that non-vertical axis or look into ball joints of some kind. I think that this is the reason you don't see many lego ships with sloped stern posts. If you have some examples I'd love to see them.

I do know what you mean about the decoration protruding but not the stern. I'll definitely look closely at that - I can definitely fill out the stern post at the top so that's not the case.

I'm actually not convinced that the ship in the picture is a schooner - it seems to have a square-rigged fore-course. I don't think I trust that website when it comes to sail-plans. It also says that THIS is a brigantine:

brigantine.jpg

However, a brigantine should be fore-and-aft rigged (or at least the mainsail should be) on the mainmast. It kind of looks like what they call a schooner is in fact a brigantine whereas what they call a brigantine is actually a brig.

I'm not using any particular real ship as the model - but yes, I will rig her as a schooner, and I will try to be as faithful as possible to the way ships of the period looked and were rigged - with a lot of artistic license thrown in :pir_laugh2:

EDIT: Seems I was looking at a different website that has the same picture - or maybe the original:

http://pirateshold.buccaneersoft.com/pirate_ships.html

Edited by cb4

I like it, i like it :pir-cry_happy: Looks good so far, i like the colour scheme and the blue-yellow line looks good also. back of the ship looks also nice. I wish you luck and keep us updated :thumbup: May i ask yet her colours? Or will she be a Neutral merchant ship? Oh and you know whats that ship in you post (The name)? Its beatiful. I think thats all. :pir-blush:

Captain Becker

What the good Admiral has pictured is what would be called a hermaphrodite, so because it’s something of a cross between a brig and a schooner. What you have pictured is in fact a brigantine, or brig. If it had a gaff (for and aft occurring only to the rear of the mast on a boom) mainsail it would be a snow. If it had both a square and a gaff main sail it would be a snow brig.

All that aside, it appears to me that your hull is rather narrow and better suited to be a cutter, perhaps in the Bermuda style. They are often called just sloops but, that’s something of a misleading term. By the 19th century, small ships of this type were quite popular in America and Caribbean for their speed. They weren’t particularly safe, as the often carried far too much sail, but they could run down, or away from, just about anything on the seas at the time. A single mast might also simplify your build.

As for the stern post, building it on angle might make it look a little bit better, but if the attempt would ruin the over all effect, leave it be. If you could build the quarter deck to hang out over the rudder more, it might trick the eye and give the appearance of a leaning stern post.

No matter whichever way you go, you’re already off to a great start. Your hull design is innovative at the least. I’m anxious to see a final product and I hope you’re inspired to move on to a larger vessel when it’s done.

Jamaica.jpg

I usualy use ship type? for the names, as far as I know they are correct

every update surprises me again, fantastic work, like the blue/yellow line,

Bart

Ow I'm sorry about the misunderstanding of my picture. Actually I only showed it because of the sloped stern :pir-classic:

I know it's not a full schooner.It's a so-called topsail schooner.

Good luck anyway.

Ow I'm sorry about the misunderstanding of my picture. Actually I only showed it because of the sloped stern :pir-classic:

I know it's not a full schooner.It's a so-called topsail schooner.

Good luck anyway.

I'm sorry Admiral - I was confused by the filename.

It's been a while since I had a chance to work on this, but based on the great feedback, I've redesigned the stern. The tiller is still functional, but the lever goes through a channel in the stern and up through the deck. I think it worked out fairly well. I finally found a use for that black parrot.

5584427970_18e21eae83_b.jpg

5583838071_f1071a1fce_b.jpg

5583838147_07bce695ac_b.jpg

5584428158_393066c7bb_b.jpg

This is wonderfull, nice to see a brick-built hull. The way you built it was interesting. I like the colourscheme and it looks lovely with the deck.

I wonder what the buyer will be doing with such a ship, piracy? :pirate_skel1:

Edited by Scorpiox

Looks excellent. I like the stern now. It's also a great feature that the lever is going through the stern and the rudder is functional.

So keep it up :thumbup: Have you thought of a name already? Parrot perhaps? :pirate:

Nice work, the blue and yellow colorsheme you added looks great! Good job so far. :thumbup: :thumbup:

your just keeping improving your ship, great to see, imo the stern looks better this way then the previous design.

Bart

For insurance reasons, I've added railings. As it turns out the work on the stern inspired me on a good way to do them. :pir-classic:

5590690581_956954ba4d_b.jpg

5591282510_65d6f2b259_b.jpg

5591282612_331d420515_b.jpg

Looks excellent with those railings :thumbup:

Only too bad that you had to place all those headlight bricks on the deck. But in grey that's not such a big problem.

I also like the barrels on the deck.

Perhaps you could make water around it at water level in the future.

I totally agree with the Admiral ... I looks great.

One small think I like to add, since she looks like she's gonna get some string rigging. I would use 4081b.gifinstead of 2540.gif I had better experience with them.

Keep it up and you'll get a real beauty!

I really like this ship!

The hull is very well made with beautiful lines!

The only thing I don't really like is the yellow and blue, it just doesn't look realistic to me.

I think I would like the coloured line better in all brown and with just a touch of yellow at the bow and stern.

Good luck on completing her!

Looks excellent with those railings :thumbup:

Only too bad that you had to place all those headlight bricks on the deck. But in grey that's not such a big problem.

I also like the barrels on the deck.

Perhaps you could make water around it at water level in the future.

I do wish I could have come up with something that required a little less structure to support it. Maybe once I rig the ship I can work those in as functional in some way.

I totally agree with the Admiral ... I looks great.

One small think I like to add, since she looks like she's gonna get some string rigging. I would use 4081b.gifinstead of 2540.gif I had better experience with them.

Keep it up and you'll get a real beauty!

That's definitely something to consider. I'm certainly going to have to experiment a bit with the chain plates. One thing I have noticed with a few ships is the use of a rubber band as a tensioner to avoid having slackness due to strings of slightly inconsistent length. I'll need to buy some string and rubber bands and try a few different arrangements.

I really like this ship!

The hull is very well made with beautiful lines!

The only thing I don't really like is the yellow and blue, it just doesn't look realistic to me.

I think I would like the coloured line better in all brown and with just a touch of yellow at the bow and stern.

Good luck on completing her!

I'm a little bit jammed for coloured plates/tiles of appropriate sizes, unfortunately. The colour scheme is a compromise, but I think it looks decent. Mainly I didn't want it to be too drab with the black and white and grey. It kind of reminds me of the old Caribbean Clipper. Ultimately, I may simply have to buy some different colours of 1x1s and 2x2s. Even a proof of concept should look good. Thanks for the feedback!

I finally found time to do some rigging. I think it turned out well, so I decided to have some fun and build quick little scene.

I haven't often seen anything as mundane as loading cargo, so here it is.

Note the redcoat official collecting his "fee". What kind of business is this ship in, exactly?

5614796373_d8549da211_b.jpg

5614796529_ece2d98105_b.jpg

5615377088_afcdf6b90c_b.jpg

5614796805_feab67e9f1_b.jpg